Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: General Info...

We were just watching our local Fox 5 news (Atlanta, GA) Health Report
    (8 May 2006). This evening they aired this report on a study they
    performed on women's purses. Their health team went to
    a local mall and
    took samples from the bottom of 50 women's purses. The purses were
    swabbed with cotton swabs along the entire bottom of
    the purses and
    placed into special containers. The swabs were then
    processed at a local laboratory.

The Health Report also showed where women place
    their purses:
    public restrooms (on the floor beside the toilet),
    kitchen counter s &
    kitchen tables, on tables & chairs in restaurants,
    etc. The results of
    the laboratory tests contained the following most
    serious result:
    1 out of 4 purses - E COLI [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

Other extremely serious bacteria also were listed,
    including Hepatitis.

They recommended that women should DAILY wipe
    their purses
    (particularly the bottom) with a disinfectant wipe and
    to be extremely
    careful where you sit your purse. Most important, do NOT place your
    purse on a table (anywhere) where you will eat or an a
    kitchen counter and do not put it anywhere close to a toilet.

Remember, when you flush a toilet, the spray goes
    a distance that is unrecognizable by the human eye.

WASH YOUR HANDS as often as you can! Keep an antibacterial hand
    sanitizer cleaner (no water needed) in your purse and
    use it often! And
    as soon as you get home from shopping (or wherever you
    have been and
    used your purse), immediately wipe it all over with a disinfectant wipe.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

That IS fascinating news. I usually hang my purse on the hook in the public restroom if I have to use one and on my shoulder while I wash my hands. I personally dont recommend over sanitizing though it makes the bacteria more resistant and the body needs SOME of the minor germs to help build immunity. Those that are overly protective and over due it tend to get sick more often than those that expose themselves.

As for public washrooms I always flush with my foot, wash my hands and keep the paper towel I dry my hands on to oopen the door (because not everyone washes their hands)

Thanks for the info though a purse is the type of item you forget about as far as where you are putting it I see women putting them on the table lots when we are out and have never thought about it.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I take my purse lots of places and set it down on lots of places and I've never gotten sick or anything *Knock on wood* they did a news report here too about what's on the bottom of purses but I didn't watch it cause ignorance in some things is bliss. Thanks for posting though!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Yeah, i know everyone has probably already seen or heard this before, but for some of the newer ones here, maybe they didn't know. I always sit my pocketbook down, and i never think about the nasties that are crawling all over it, i guess i will be more concious about it now....that's just gross...but i always hang my purse in the stall "IF" there is a hook.....well germs are everywhere that's for sure....we just have to keep our hands clean is all.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lucky i just keep my money and cards in my pocket..even though that could be a silly idea..lol. Interesting though about that, thanks for the news.
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh my!! I will definitely be wiping my purse down dailly now! I never woulld have guessed, even with my emet mind, that this could be! Thanks for the info!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I know, as viligant as we are, you would think we would have thought of everything in the world to be more clean and sanitary...but i guess we learn things everyday.......
    Kate

sorry, but I don't take any precautions except washing my hands after using the bathroom, and I have NEVER had a stomach virus... and I work in a dept. store.

I'm quite sure that purses have some bacteria on them from being carried around all day, but this is a bit of an extreme.

sounds like whoever was researching this ran out of more important things to study... because to me, thats pretty common knowledge. theres no need to go overboard and wipe things like thatdown, people don't get sick from purses. I mean, why don't we all just live in a bubble.Its a bit outrageous if you ask me. This is obsessing, people.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

No wonder I make my husband carry my purse,....!

I would have never thought of it....thanks for the information.

Samantha

Wow--that really made me think! I sit my purse in many places and have never been too concerned about it since I rarely touch the bottom of it. But, I will definately be more conscientious about it now! E. Coli...lovely!

Jess

Just think, if you put your purse down on a chair in a restaurant, the bacteria get on your pants as well.
    <a href=\"
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

First off all- this report was from Fox News, which is notorious for fear mongering and trying to incitemoral panic.

Also, I'm sure that if you test almost ANYTHING in your surroundings you will find traces of e coli and other potentially harmful bacteria. That's natural- they are around. However, the difference is whether there is significant amount to make you sick. Also, if you recall, bacteria needs a warm, moist environment to replicate- I'm not sure the bottom of my purse would qualify.

I know it can be scary to read/see something like this- but that is the reaction they WANT- this type of fear mongering is what makes people tune in to their news broadcast (and likely buy the products of some of their sponsors).

I agree with babydoll- many of you haven't been sick in years- decades even.I'm sure in that time you haven't been obsessively cleaning your purses everytime you set it down- what makes you think that if you don't do it now you will be sick?

*amber*

Why couldn't I have read it like that?,..I was assuming the worse but you are correct,...how silly I feel.......I have not been sick since age 17 and Im 35,...yet after reading this the other day,....I have been telling everyone and almost panicking!!!,.....I have never cleaned my purse,.....

smiling,....

Samantha