Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I wanted to ask all you emet mums out there some questions as I think you are all extremely brave, and my boyfirend and I have been talking recently and we both decided that we want to have a baby.

The problem is (obviously) emetophobia. If it wasn't for this phobia I'd have one right now. I am really scared because I know about 50% of people get morning sickness and I've heard stories of people who have it all the way through pregnancy and it doesn't just happen in the morning - it can happen at any time of day - what do I do if I'm at work and it happens? the toilet is quite far from us so I'd never get there in time, I'd have to do it in the bin in front of EVERYONE!

So how did all you emet mums cope with morning sickness? Are there any tips or tricks to stopping/helping it?

Also, what about when the baby grows up and starts getting tummy bugs? I think I could handle baby sick as it's mostly milk and there's hardly any of it, but when they're toddlers they catch everything (and school is a breeding ground for bugs)

So what do you all do when your kid catches a tummy bug? Do you freak out as much as when it happens to anyone except your kid? Are you brave enough to clean it up?

The thing is, I'd be off work loking after the child and if it's sick and no-one is there to clean it up for me what do I do? Lock myself away in my bedroom in case the child is sick again? I do not want to make my child feel like a freak and I DEFINITELY do not want my child to inherit the phobia from me.

Did any of you feel guilty in a way when you had children in case you passed the phobia on to them?

Sorry for all the questions but I need some help from you!
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=BLUE>Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carolinexx</font></font>

I feel exactly the same as you, Caroline. I know my boyyfriend would love to be a dad (although he promises me he doesn't mind if we don't have children) but i just don't knowif i could cope withthe possibility of morning sickness and dealing with a sick child.
    Today is the tomorrow I dreaded yesterday and I\'m ok.

Well first off. It is the most wonderfull feeling to have a little being inside you. I actaully miss my belly and the kicking and roller my little guy did.
    Yes a lot of people get morning sickness but that also classifies just nuasea. As an emet I fought it and instead of just letting it happen I resisted. Which I suppose in a way is too bad because the few times I was sickI felt better immediatly after pretty much.
    No it isn't just in the morning but it tends to be worse in the morning because you have an empty stomach and most people make the mistake of "jumping out of bed" when you should give yourself at least 5-15 minutes of slowly getting up. It is easy to forget that your blood supply is a supporting 2 and that your suger levels will be wierd.
    There are meds to take to help with nausea and tricks to help so that you won't. I know more people that didn't have ANY nausea and morning sickness than did.
    I have LOTS of tricks that helped me out.
    It is worth it in the end and if we had the money we would have a 2nd right now.

You are right when they are tiny they spit up a little and hey no probs. Then they start to nibble a little apple sauce and stuff. No real colour not a lot either if they burp up a little. They seem to almost wean ya into it. It gets easier and easier ESPECIALLY when its your little one.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

PS yes it occured to me in a way that I may pass on something BUT that doesn't stop diabetics, people with bad acne, people afraid of hights and flying from having children.

I also found that I didn't REALLY think about it the first time Anthony got sick, He was upset and not feeling well and the only thing that really occured was I wanted to help him feel better and not feel bad about the mess.
    I freaked about AFTER but he didn't see it and the next time was even easier.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Hi,

My name is Sarah. I have to boys (7 and 3) and have to say I was lucky enough not to have morning sickness at all. As for them being sick, when they are babies it's just milk so it's nothing really (I actually found my phobia went off when I first had my kids!). As they have grown up I am lucky enough that they aren't too ill very often but when they are my lovely husband is in charge!!! I did have a bad time last Christmas when my eldest son and my husband were both really ill so I had to look after my son. I dealt with it fine but panicked for the next few days in case I caught it.

You find you can deal with anything if you really have no choice in the matter!!

I hope this helps you a bit.

HI there - I have a 12 year old daughter. I never got sick when I was pregnant, but my best friend suffered and swore by flat ginger ale. She would sip it when she woke up, then get up really slowly.

As for children gettting sick - they don't do it as often as you think they will, especially as, you being an emet, you will no doubt train your child to wash its hands after going to the bathroom and before eating, so it is less likely to catch something at school. Being careful with children's hygiene doesn't make them emet, just clean! When it does happen, you WILL cope - that is your child, who you love more than life itself, and it is distressed and frightened. Your maternal instincts will take over and you will do what it necessary. You may sit down and cry when it is over, but by then, your child is asleep and oblivious.

My daughter now knows about my emet - I explained it to her a year or so ago when I thought she would understand, and when she started questioning why I always quizzed her about how she was feeling when we are travelling (she's never been travel sick!). She now undertstands, so never does anything that she knows will make me anxious.

You will make a great mum - the fact that you are concerned about how you will cope means that you are aware of the posssible pitfalls and are ready to overcome them.

Best wishes, Jill xxx

Thank you Jill - and thnks to everyone for replying back to my post.

I have such admiration for all of you for not letting emet stop you from doing everything you want, and if I want to have kids then why should I let this phobia stop me?

I know I will be scared as hell but when the baby is born I am sure it will have been worth all of it!

The problem is, I am on depo-provera and I have read that it can take up to a year to get pregnant once the last injection has worn off so I may have to wait ages and I don't want to have to as I will probably end up talking myself out of having one if I have to wait a long time!

I am going to the doctors tomorrow though to see if I can get a fertility test just to make sure I can actually have a baby before I get too excitedabout it - I am so paranoid about everything!

Also, if any of you could give me any tips on what you did if you ever felt really sick whilst being pregnant, I woul dbe very grateful; you can e-mail me if you wish, it's [email protected]

Thanks again to all of you - you are wonderful people!
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=BLUE>Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carolinexx</font></font>

Well i am 7 weeks pregnant with my second child, god knows what im doing because i suffered with bad morning sickness with my first all the way through the pregnancy, although my emet wasnt too bad then so i didnt panic very much and also i was never sick! Just nauseas constantly.

This time i feel even worse, so bad that ive contemplated an abortion because i didnt think i could cope with feeling this sick for the next 7months! But i cant do that its a tiny little baby and i will cope because i have to!!!!

I drink lots of flat ginger ale, its good because if you dont like ginger, like me, it tastes ok! I eat lots of little meals so my stomachs never empty apart from in the morning. I also take an anti-nausea tablet everyday just to help out a little.

Im hoping this time it gets better after 12weeks else ill probably have to go onto anti-depressants to cope, but if thats what it takes...

Sorry this is so long! If you want to, you can email me at [email protected]

Im sure you will be able to get pregnant, and you will def still want a baby they are so special, and like every one says you deal with their illnesses then you freak out!!
    I couldn\'t tell you why she felt that way... she felt it everyday and i couldn\'t help her... i just watched her make the same mistakes again...