Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

hi.. ive had a fear of vomiting for many many years now but over the past few months it has been significantly worse and ive noticed my health deteriorating. the thing is i cant distinguish between whether its all in my head or whether its real. ive had many tests done (blood tests.. fecal tests..) and they all came up clear but i keep telling myself the doctors have missed something and there is something seriously wrong with me. the past 4 or 5 days ive felt nauseous constantly and it really feels like im sick. i feel sick at least a few times every single day but it feels worse than usual at the moment. i can never tell if its real or not. is it possible to feel so ill purely because my mind has talked myself into believing that im sick?

yes this may be possible. i know what when i'm feeling anxious, my brain will trick me into thinking that i feel worse than i really do, sending me off in a fenzy of panic [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]. but, you should always listen to your intuition. if you truly feel that something may be wrong, it can never hurt to make sure.

good luck!!

-hayley xoxo
    ~*~ all is fair in love and war ~*~

I know exactly what you mean, i think at some point you have to really focus on being rational. Sometimes i get so worried that i think i will actually be sick from stressing about thinking about being sick! I take some deep breaths and say to my self do you really feel like you are going to be sick right now? This ususally calms me down alot and when i think about my stomach it actually doesnt hurt at all, so much of this fear is in my mind!

xoxo

I think it is possible because I have done it! It occasionally does happen to me now and then but I've learned to calm myself down and it's the best thing I could have ever learned. I know my body. I know when something is wrong. So when I feel sick, I'll take a couple breaths and think, "Do I REALLY feel sick, or is it just some anxiety?" 98.9% of the time, it's nervousness. Listen to your body...as corny as that sounds. Just psyche yourself outta it.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Anger is just <font color=RED>love </font> disappointed
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    it\'s an addiction.

Don't let your anxiety get the best of you. Kick it's a**![img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

it\'s an addiction.

do you eat enough?
    .: tonight i\'m letting go :.

I think your brain probably has. Your brain can convince you of anything in all honesty. If you think things enough it can start appearing or seemingly happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jezebel
    do you eat enough?

my diet is pretty poor lately.. i eat way too many sweets and not enough meat or fruit and vegies..
    Angles

YES it most definitely can. Your brain is sooo powerful!! It sounds like you are experiencing a lot of anxiety. Are you on any kind of meds to help? Your diet can effect u as well. I used to feel ill all the time until I saw a phsyciatrist and was put on meds...still go through that from time to time but nothing like it used to be.

Amber

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysamber
    YES it most definitely can. Your brain is sooo powerful!! It sounds like you are experiencing a lot of anxiety. Are you on any kind of meds to help? Your diet can effect u as well. I used to feel ill all the time until I saw a phsyciatrist and was put on meds...still go through that from time to time but nothing like it used to be.

Amber

my psychologist has recommended luvox but im scared to take it in case it makes me ill..

thanks so much for your advice!
    Angles

Quote Originally Posted by hayleyw

yes this may be possible. i know what when i'm feeling anxious, my brain will trick me into thinking that i feel worse than i really do, sending me off in a fenzy of panic [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]. but, you should always listen to your intuition. if you truly feel that something may be wrong, it can never hurt to make sure.

good luck!!

-hayley xoxo

i dont know how to make sure theres nothing wrong. ive had blood tests.. fecal tests.. i dont know what else to do!
    Angles

Do you take a multivitamin? It won't make you sick, I promise! I was worried about them making me sick but I started on them this week and haven't had any stomach problems. It will make you feel very well to have the extra vitamins! As for your other problems, I think most emets really do convince ourselves that we are genuinely sick (since we feel so poorly!) even if our bodies are not.

Edited by: csjones
    ~~~Carolyn~~~

Quote Originally Posted by csjones
    Do you take a multivitamin? It won't make you sick, I promise! I was worried about them making me sick but I started on them this week and haven't had any stomach problems. It will make you feel very well to have the extra vitamins! As for your other problems, I think most emets really do convince ourselves that we are genuinely sick (since we feel so poorly!) even if our bodies are not.

thanks for the advice.. im already seeing a naturopath and shes got me on a number of natural things.. liver support.. defence support.. digestive something or other.. i guess taking a multivitamin on top of all that couldnt hurt.. could it?!
    Angles

It's really vicious cycle.

Your anxiety not only makes you feel like you're sick since you're so scared of getting sick, but the stress also impairs your immune system so it makes you more susceptible to illness.

Last summer I was having a horrible time with my emet and I got four summer colds during those three months. Four! I've never before had more than two during the summer while I'm out of school, and usually not even that many.

My only advice would be to just take care of yourself on both ends. Try to eat right and get enough rest, maybe take a multi-vitamin. Also try to work to get your stress and anxiety from emet under control, such as with relaxation techniques or whatever else works for you.

Yep i've been wondering the same thing as you recently. Have I fabricated my feeling crap constantly in my mind? Is it all just fake and i'm actually 100% healthy, or do i actually have either IBS, Collitis or something worse? I am SOOO worried that I am going to get something like stomach cancer, and not catch it in time because I always try to ignore things that go on in my stomach, just telling myself its because of my Emet.

But I posted on Monday about feeling ill all weekend, really nauseous etc. then on Tuesday I was feeling fine again, but have not stopped having gas and indigestion/burping constantly. Surely we cant 'make' ourselves burp and have bad constant gas? Can we? I don't have any pains or feel nauseous really, just strange in my stomach/abdomen. I have been to the loo for a NO.2 once since Monday and that was this morning. GRRRR.

Don\'t regret the things you have done - regret those that you haven\'t!

its scary how similar your story is to mine. i constantly have stomach aches and gas problems and things similar to burps.. just a lot of air coming up my throat.. and ive often wondered if i have IBS. i wish i knew if there was something really wrong with me though.. cos it seems so hard to believe that i could fabricate all these things purely by thinking about it. gah! at least i know im not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by kimmyc24

Yep i've been wondering the same thing as you recently. Have I fabricated my feeling crap constantly in my mind? Is it all just fake and i'm actually 100% healthy, or do i actually have either IBS, Collitis or something worse? I am SOOO worried that I am going to get something like stomach cancer, and not catch it in time because I always try to ignore things that go on in my stomach, just telling myself its because of my Emet.

But I posted on Monday about feeling ill all weekend, really nauseous etc. then on Tuesday I was feeling fine again, but have not stopped having gas and indigestion/burping constantly. Surely we cant 'make' ourselves burp and have bad constant gas? Can we? I don't have any pains or feel nauseous really, just strange in my stomach/abdomen. I have been to the loo for a NO.2 once since Monday and that was this morning. GRRRR.
    Angles

Quote Originally Posted by kimmyc24

Yep i've been wondering the same thing as you recently. Have I fabricated my feeling crap constantly in my mind? Is it all just fake and i'm actually 100% healthy, or do i actually have either IBS, Collitis or something worse? I am SOOO worried that I am going to get something like stomach cancer, and not catch it in time because I always try to ignore things that go on in my stomach, just telling myself its because of my Emet. </font>

But I posted on Monday about feeling ill all weekend, really nauseous etc. then on Tuesday I was feeling fine again, but have not stopped having gas and indigestion/burping constantly. Surely we cant 'make' ourselves burp and have bad constant gas? Can we? I don't have any pains or feel nauseous really, just strange in my stomach/abdomen. I have been to the loo for a NO.2 once since Monday and that was this morning. GRRRR.</font> </font>
    Maybe you have excess gas because when one is stressed, they take in more air than usual...like mild hyperventilation. Quite often, you wouldn't even notice it. Just a though. And I think I've said it on here before, but stress halts the digestion process...so that could be causing indigestion.

it\'s an addiction.

Hey Angles..

Well I guess I should say i'm glad to hear i'm not alone, although its not a very pleasant thing tohave in commonhey! Yeah the burps are more like air coming up, and they're quite frequent/regular for a certain period of time. I go through stages where I feel fine, then my lower stomach feels bloated and uncomfortable,I am constipated for like days.. then I go to the loo once and am fine then the gas starts again..

But one thing is for sure.. my stomach is NEVER 100% fine for longer than a few days at a time!! Its almost ALWAYS in my lower abdomen though. So I try not to let it worry me too much as there isnt often nausea with it, although sometimes pains.

Done and over, you may be right it could be that as its rare that there is any pain or discomfort in myactual stomach/chest areaassociated with the burping/air coming up. i do seem to clench my teeth and swallow a lot when i'm nervous so it could be that. It could also be a wheat or red meat intolerance, i'm testing those out at the moment.

Don\'t regret the things you have done - regret those that you haven\'t!

I think it is possible too. I am the same EXACT way! Ive been to so many doctor, got countless tests done to rule out that there was nothing wrong with me, and that its all in my head. The mind is a very powerful. If you think abuot feeling sick all the time, you will feel sick. I go through this every single day! And I still tell myself..."there has got to be something wrong wtih me...its not normal to feel sick like this all the time" But I know its my mind making me feel this way!
    *Mandi*