Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I feel nauseous every single day and it's ruining my life! Does anyone know any treatments that have have helpedmany of people? I haven't been sick for ages and I intend on keeping it that way for the rest of my life... but alll the time I need convincing that I wont be sick... and people around me get bored and tired of me. I'm too scared to do anything like drink, eat meat from barbeques, eat out in resturaunts, touch dirty thing! It's getting out of hand... I repeatedly need to go on walks and get "fresh air".Seeing as I'm only 16 I want something to stop the everyday sicky feeling... any pills or anything... So I can try and live a normal (ish) life. This stupid phobia has even stopped me getting an operation I need as I'm scared of the anaesthetic making me feel sick!

Any suggestions of anti-nausea pills I could take or any treatments that are likely to work?

Hope everyone is happy and healthy![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Amy x

Anti-nausea pills likely won't solve the problem, as the reason you aren't feeling well is due to anxiety. I would suggest you find a therapist in your area that specializes in anxiety disorders, as that is what emet is.

Have you checked out the treatment forums? There is a lot of info there about what type of treatments are effective, and how to find a therapist. You are so young- with treatment, you can likely beat this, as oppose to resorting to a bandaid solution.

As for not having an operation- don't let thisphobia get in the way of your health. If you speak with your doctor about this, they can take precautions, such as giving you an antiemetic with the anasthetic.

Good luck,

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I too, feel nauseous every single day of my life. It is hard to tell if the nausea is stomach or anxiety related..but it is real. Just last night, my family took me to dinner for my birthday. Of course I was nauseous and ended up getting fresh air and eventually leaving because of it. It is awful and seeing as you are only 16...(I am 28,) you do not want to live with that feeling.

I was prescribed reglan from my GI doc. It worked wonderfully for thefirst 6 weeks. But suddenly,once it became regulated into my system, the side effects were HORRIFIC. I thought I was losing my mind...literally. However,I lived for 6 weeks without nausea. Those side effects that I experienced may not happen to you. My regular doctor said some people just simply cannot take reglan and apparently I am one of them.

I believe it is definately worth asking about, but if you do...be sure to address the side effects. They can be serious but again...may not happen to you.
    *Amy*

I think you too need to see someone about anxiety and go from there...they can help you in more then one way and can give you meds if they see you fit. Meds are the only reason I live a much happier/carefree life. I wouldn't depend on a medication to stop nausea but if you did need something here and there Phennogran works great. I always have that on hand. I really think you should seek some help if you are serious about getting help and getting better..it is soo worth it.

Amber

I use promethizine. It is good it just makes me sleepy. But I have stopped taking it. I am trying to be more holistic in trying to beat this. So I keep a HUGE ginger root with me where ever I go. Just knowing it is there keeps my anxiety at bay. When I get that sick feeling, I take a small nibble of the root and put it under my tongue. It works just as fast as that nausea pill I would take.

I feel the exact same way as you and I've had an anxiety problem since I was 13 (now 18). I feel n* a lot. It's terrible and I hate that so many people have this too...everyone on here is great and none of them deserve to deal with the anxiety and fear that comes with being an emet. I don't think I can help you with treatments, but you have gotten some great responses from everyone else on that. And, if it makes you feel better,I alwaysneed convincing that I won't be sick and people around me get tired of me too.

What kind of surgery do you need? I don't know if this would help or not...but I had a dental surgery in Dec. and I got DEATHLY n*, but it was very easily avoided.

I got so n* because:
    #1-I had A LOT of anesthesia
    #2-I didn't drink anything (and of course I couldn't eat) for hours.
    #3-I hurt a lot and cried really hard.
    #4-I slept on my back and the blood drained down my throat.

Because I was stupid and did all that, I got so n*...the worst it's ever been in my life. I dry heaved and everything. It hurt so bad. But it was easily avoided. If I had sipped on water, that would have made a huge difference. After about an hour or two, I started sipping on a smoothie my boyfriend gave me and I slowly started feeling better.

If you really need the surgery, I think you could get through it without feeling sick. Ice chips are wonderful, and they usually give them to everyone after any type of surgery. And, if it makes you feel any better...my grandmother just had major heart surgery and she never got really sick. She kept sucking on ice chips and gradually went back to eating and she was fine.

I COMPLETELY understand being scared of surgery, but if you need it, you should definitely get it.

If it makes you feel any better, you sound exactly like me....and if you ever wanna talk, you can e-mail me anytime. Take care and I hope you can get better with this. Hope I could help some and good luck!

Hi Amy,

I feel so sad from the title of your post. Are you able to hide your anxiety from your parents? I don't see how that would be possible given the things you said you avoid. I really think you should tell someone exactly how you feel, someone who can really help like your parents or your doctor.We are here to listen to you and we can relate as we share the same phobia but none of us can truly help you. Just reading your post I think an anti-anxiety drug and counseling wouldchange your life. Life is a giftand we are really only here such a short time we should strive to enjoy each and every moment. Get the help you need to control this phobia and not let it control you! I wish I could give you a hug, it breakes my heart that you're so young. You can beat this. I'm 38 and I've had this phobia since I was about 5 years old. I've gotten married, had a child, traveled the world. The phobia has been with me every step of the way but Iview it as the enemy which I'm constantly aware of and always (well most of the time in control of. Stay with us and start getting tough! You can live with this and still have a GREAT life!

Hey amy

Im 18 and have had this phobia for as long as i can remember so i know exactly how you feel. I would recommend talking to your doctor. I did this when i hit rock bottom and he referred me to my psychiatrist who has helped me SO much. Im still afraid but now i can rationalise things much more easily and i dont feel sick all the time. Iv never taken pills because im wary of becoming too reliant, i would suggest talking to someone before you turn to medication.

Hope you feel better soon chuck!

xoxo

Ahhh =) thankyou everyone, you're all so nice! Today hasn't been too bad, up until I ate too much and now I feel full, but my mind has twisted it around to feeling sick...

I go to my doctor to talk about it once a month but it doesn't seem to be helping me... I can't seem to get it in to my mind ever that I wont be sick, and I don't believe people when they say "you'll be fine" half the time.

I have spoken to my parents about it and they are both anxious people too, this is what caused their divorce! I don't want that to happen to me when I'm older.. My Mum reccomends that I either go to exposure therapy or see if it will soon calm down, my auntie has the exact same phobia and it got to the same stage mine is at, at my age too, now she isn't constantly feeling nauseous or thinking about catching a bug or getting food poisening 24/7 and she's 40 it began to stop ruling her life so much when she went out to work evferyday and had children as she had a lot to think about. So I am hoping eventually everyone that has emet becomes a bit less anxious and more relaxed.

If anybody is as scared as I am about catching a stomach virus then you should drink an Actimel drink everyday and take a vitamin c tablet too, as the actimel stregthens your immune system and lessens the effect of a sick bug by 50%!!! The vitamin and zinc do the obvious...

Take up a hobby too! That'll take your mind off things! The surgery isn't that important, it would literally be a 10 minute operation, but I'd rather have it when my life's under a bit more control, I'm waaay too anxioius to be going through anything like that at the moment.

Thankyou for all replying! Very sweet =)
    Hope you're all ok!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxxx

wow.. its really comforting to read these posts and realise that im not the only one who has to live each and everyday constantly feeling sick. its a big struggle but its nice knowing im not alone. also thanks to everyone who recommended ways to combat the nausea.
    Angles