Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I haven’t been on for awhile now and some of you know why. I just want to let you know that I had a gastric endoscope done on Wednesday and I am pretty proud of myself. I slept fine the night before.
    This procedure is when they put a tube down your throat and look at your stomach. I had this done years ago and it didn’t pan out at all. They freeze your throat and you gag on the tube you swallow it and then the sedative sets in and you wake up. I was upfront with the surgeon who was performing this on me and told him I don’t like the freezing of the throat at all so he told me he would have anesthesiologists on hand. Wednesday morning my mother picked me up and 9:30am, we got there at 10am. I asked Mom to dropped me off at the hospital I told her to go home and the nurse will call to pick me up. I wanted to do this on my own. I checked in and was sent to the other room, to get my gown on, as I was sitting there (my appt was for 11:15) a nurse came up to me and I gave her my clipboard and told her I am contemplating on bolting! I got the gown on walk over to the gurney and this Dr Yang introduced herself as my anesthesiologist. She froze my hand and put the IV in; IV’s don’t bother me at all. At 11 I was wheeled in and she put the oxygen on my nose, and started to hook up the heart and blood pressure monitor on me, the nurse came in and said we have to freeze her throat and Dr Yang said no, no freezing Rhonda doesn’t want it so she will be going to sleep for this. She gave me a shot through the IV which burned my hand a bit and said, this will make you feel like you have a few beers in you, I said really haven’t had beer in 8 years! And that was it I woke up in recovery asked to see Dr Yang I gave her a hug and said thanks, she said you are welcome. I had my apple juice and the nurse called my Mom and I was out of there by noon. I took all my fears and threw them out the window that morning. I slept throughout the day and I am fine. No nausea nothing.
    The doctor said he took a biopsy of a piece of my gut and it came back neg. he is testing for other things but it looks like I will be finally on the right medication.
    If you have to have this done and you are afraid just asked to be put out, you will be fine.
    I will be on within the next couple of weeks to tell you all why I have this phobia for 31 years now I finally have my answer, how my therapist has helped me and how I am over this phobia with the how and whys.

I am really happy for you. What a great story and inspiration for others. I am looking forward to hearing the rest.
    \"This too shall pass\"

You're amazing Rhonda! It's amazing what we can do when we have to, isn't it?

I remember the day I had my gall bladder surgery, I felt that similar inner strength.

Right on!

Thanks, it is amazing how much inner strength we truly have!!

the thought of surgery freaks the hell out of me, does anaesthetic not make you sick? or feel sick?
    .: tonight i\'m letting go :.

Wow! Congratulations! You should be so proud of yourself! That really is inspiring!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I have never been sick from the gas.
    I wasn't nervous at all, I have no idea what she gave me but off to sleep I went. I chose this way because I dont like the spray they use to freeze your throat, that is gross; so I chose the medication in my IV to make me sleep.

Thanks simplyme!

Congratulations!!! You got through a VERY difficult situation and came out such a champ!! You should be very proud!! I had an upper endoscopy last summer around this time too, and I have to say, the fear leading up to it was much worse than the actual thing! I built it up to be so much more than it was! And I used the spray method....it was NASTY!! I was fine nonetheless, but still...it tasted like spicy bananas, and they didn't do it just once, they had to spray three times! Anyway, that was probably the worst part of it...then I was so knocked out on Demmorall that I didn't care about anything else lol! I have gastirc problems and need to get an endoscopy every 2 to 3 years. I think I'll ask about this method next time I have to have mine, thanks for sharing your experience!!
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have been wondering about you Rhonda!! I had no idea you have overcome this fear, good for you, and I really want to know how! I look foward to your post.

Michele

reading that made me feel like I was gaging, seriously!

CONGRATS!!! that is soo awesome!!!

Well done!!! I had it done too, but was too scared to be put under and wanted to stay awake.

Can't wait to hear the rest of your story on conquering the phobia. M x

Thanks. It has been a long frustrating couple of months. Lots of anger and tears. I am still seeing the therapist to deal with my anger and when I feel that I am over this bs all of you will know what has been going on.

Thanks again

That's a really great story, and I'm really happy for you!! It's comforting to know that we can all get through something we are afraid of. Thank you for sharing this with us!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wow! Good for you! I'm so glad all went well. Like the others, I can't wait to hear the rest.

<font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

I had one of these done about 10 years (there was nothing wrong - it was after my last ever attack of V* 10 years ago whenI stopped eating for three months!!! I just had an obsession about my stomach and feeling S* all the time and in the end the Doc insisted on doing an endoscopy).

I was terrified of having it done, but it was fine in the end. I was given a sedative and to be honest only have dim memories of the endoscopy being performed. I was completely out of it and so wasn't alert enough to get scared! Then I came round from the sedative and my partner and my mum took me home straight away - I felt fine and was actually hungry when we got home! No ill effects at all!!!

I also had a general anaesthetic for a laparoscopy last November and was fine after that too - I insisted and begged in having plenty of anti-emetics given to me both before and after and I didn't V* at all whenI came round (slightly nauseous but i think it was nerves as I felt fine as soon as I got home!)

My next challenge will be the birth of my baby in December. I am praying I don't get any N* or V* in labour!