Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I'm really wondering, is it possible to have a reading OCD? I don't think I have OCD... I have a little bit of a problem touching things, but only things where I have seen something unsanitary happen to it. For example, if someone finishes eating (in which they licked their fingers), does not wash their hands, and then touches a drawer, I have trouble touching that drawer because I remember that moment. but other than that, I have no OCD issues... except while reading. I pretty much cannot enjoy reading anymore. I have to reread every sentence and paragraph until it "feels right". If I do not reread sections, I feel like I'm missing part of the story, so I have to go back and read the parts over and over until either I feel okay about moving on, or I have to give up on the book because I'm getting a headache. My mom says this sounds like OCD, and I have to agree. I don't know what to do about it though.... I used to be such a good reader. I had to have a book with me at all times, and I would spend full days reading without any problem. and now I get frustrated and give up after only a few pages. when I first start a book, I can read ok... and when it is in the book's ending scenes, normally I can read ok...I just have a major problem reading the middle of books. I can read magazines fine, I read online fine... I'm getting worried, the college I'll be going to in fall is very focused on reading. the classes require that students read a lot of books each quarter. I don't think I've read a book for school all the way through since the 9th grade... I'm pretty alright at pretending I've read the books (and I will usually just skim the online summaries)... but I think it will be harder to get away with doing that in college. v_v has anyone else heard of a reading OCD like this? and is there anyway at all to get better without going on medication? because I don't want to have to do that, if I'm fine in other areas of my life... I was considering taking a speed reading class, but I don't think that will help.. any advice will be very apreciated

i have exactly the same problem as you. as a kid i used to read all the time but now i struggle to read entire books because its just too exhausting.

"I have to reread every sentence and paragraph until it "feels right"." <--- i do that as well and it definitely is OCD as i am big OCD sufferer and i find that im telling myself to re-read some sentences or parts over and over otherwise something bad will happen blah blah you know the jist with OCD.

i wish i could recommend a way to get over this but sadly i havent a way. all i can offer you is my sympathy as i know how frustrating it is.
    Angles

I'm sorry you have this too... wow, though it is comforting that someone else in the world does this!! I thought it was just me! Everyone else I know who has ocd symptoms really just has it about hygiene or cleanliness... not about reading! thanks for the reply

Omg, I'd never thought about the link to OCD before, but I tend to do the same things with reading as you! I used to love reading and now it is such hard work! It usually starts ifI've not absorbed a paragraph or a few sentences thoroughly enough or don't understand them, I get a bit obsessed with re-reading them until it feels right. Sometimes I can fight it and just move on, but not always. I have particular trouble with the last bit of a book (and magazines) I read before I put it down to sleep etc - I have to feel it was fully absorbed and that it feels right!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

I do this, too. For me, it's not about absorbing the information, but that something bad will happen if I don't do it.

o the last few pages of the book before putting it downare the worst for me!! I have to read it perfectly too! I never feel like something bad will happen if I don't read it right.. but I feel a strong sense of accomplishment if I do "read right". I don't feel good unless I get this feeling... it is nice to know that at least other people have this! I just wish there was a way to get over it!

I do the same to, its more like daffodil was saying, if i don't read every line, i think something bad will happen, but i have ocd in other forms like touching, handwashing, counting and word forms, im sorry you are all going through this though.
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Man I'm sorry you suffer with this, it sounds like partially OCD to me. I know I tend to get OCD some, with straightening up things, especially at work. Like it has to be perfect or it just bothers me! Anyways thats something else, but I wonder if you could see if your doc could help? Do they have meds to help calm it? I don't know how to fix something like that, or if there is a way to help your mind get past it.

Default Re: OCD.... only when reading?

I think I have this as well. The following website has some suggestions that could help. Good luck! We can conquer it! It will all turn out alright!

answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111022132412AAoqRpk