Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Who else is doing the exposure therapy on the website? I have made it up to image 35 and can't seem to get past that one. 35 doesn't cause me anxiety, neither do any of the images that come before it, but even reading about 36 bothers me.

Anyone else having any better luck?

\"This too shall pass\"

I was able to finish them all, but I am going to start to watch movies at my next therapy appointment on Monday. Yikes!

35 is awesome. Keep on plugging!

I made it through them all and moved on to another siteabout rating"IT" asI saw someone post a ways back. The site is grotesque for the reasoning behind it being there but the pictures helped me a lot as far as the different situations and pictures.
    Don't worry either if you have to take a step back either I swung back and forth on what I was ok with from one pic to the next. Especially when I was away for some time.
    35 is AWSOME though youdo what is confortable with you though. Try 36 on a good day and see how you feel going though 33,34,35 and then just pop into .36 although 36 isn't too bad at all really since you don't see anything in the way of it being there. The guy kinda looks funny.

GOOd luck hunEdited by: Melikasa
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I feel very different from people because images don't seem to bother me much. I checked out some websites with images and could get through almost all without a problem (I felt n* earlier today so I didn't do them all). Looking at images and not feeling anxious doesn't seem to make me feel ANY less anxious about v* myself or seeing someone else in person. Is part of exposure therapy eventually seeing it live (I don't know how that would work) or doing it yourself? In that case, count me out!

Kes-

Part of your exposure therapy could involve seeing it live- I know for myself, the pinnacle of my hierarchy would be helping someone while they are vomitting- at this point likely in a hospital setting (I want to get the balls to eventually volunteer in one, but want to make sure I am at the point where I am able to handle it). BUT- this can be different for everyone. If this is the hardest thing for you, the point would be to work on your anxiety to the point where you would be able to do this without major anxiety- or be able to handle the anxiety.

The thing with the pictures, is that from what I gather, it's not purely looking at the pictures and videos, but imagining that, that was you- picturing how you would feel in that situation, and working on that anxiety. If you are scared of vomitting yourself, it's not just looking at the picture, because it's easy to go "oh, that's someone else, not me". You have to imagine that WAS you, and what you would do and feel in that situation. Or how you would feel if you were present in that situation. You have to empathize with the images, not just look at them in passing.

As for vomitting yourself, no, that is not part of exposure therapy as it is intended. Especially, since the vomitting aspect isn't the problem- it's the anxiety derived from the experience. Making yourself vomit can just make you worse- and when it is done artificially, its not the same as when you don't have control over when and how it happens. Making yourself sick isn't the same as "being" sick. The anxiety needs to be worked on, and you don't have to vomit to do so....

Check out the sticky posts in the treatment forum- they can be of great help!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

well-said, Amber. Kes, I created the exposure site with the link on here. And trust me, there is NO WAY that exposure therapy structured properly would involve vomiting yourself. People with a phobia of getting cancer (carcinophobes) don't have to get cancer in the end to ensure they're cured of their anxiety. And so, too, you don't have to vomit - that's nuts. (I say it's nuts while realizing many therapists actually suggest this...but these therapists are nuts!)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Like Sage said, well-said amber!

Yeah, I have only go up to level 22. I know it's just a picture, but I actually try to "visualised" or "empathize with the images" and itDOES increased my anxiety. It's actually not very easy for me. I'm very imaginative person, so when it comes to that, it can be really strong.

I am not sure if it will actually help me, but I think it might to some point, in the future.

You're really brave to go up to 35, shiva. Last time I was up to 21 - and that was a month ago! One level up the next month! So slow!! LOL, but I know I'm just taking my time and I don't wanna to rush andI'm surewe all feel the same - as we should take our own pace.

All the best!!!

As we all know, it's better to go slowly than to retraumatize ourselves.

Keep on plugging!

what are you all talking about? how can i try exposure therapy? does it work???

Its been a while since I have done the esposure therapy and I did notice that being away from it a while has caused me to regress a bit. I was watching TV the other night with these dancers from the UK trying to make it so they were in a video for some major singer.
    ***somewhat graphic******

Anyways as you can tell I wasn't really following just stopped to take a peek on channel flicking. I saw a part about one of them coming from the hospital and didn't know why he just mentioned bed rest and medication. WELL in the next seen there was one dancer not joining in on the lessons and in the next shot she was sooo sick. As in all over. Then they started talking about the major stomach virus rampaging through the groups.

END graphic***

I dwelled on this for a week. Worrying, picturing it feeling shaky. It did help in its own way though because I did put myself in her place and being on national TV to boot. That the next time I felt sick I didn't panic too much at all. I continued on my way to work and thought well if I do get sick maybe it won't be so bad. As it turns out I didn't get sick and felt ok by the time I got to work.

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Shiva,

I know you wrote this a long time ago, but I just wanted to say that I am having the same exact problem. The ones before are fine, but even reading about that one gets my heart going a mile a minute. Did you ever manage to check it out?

--kim

Val - check out the sticky posts at the top of this Treatments section of the discussion forum. Read all about everything.

I'm gonna go check out # 36 now and see if I can make a step in between or something..

Okay, so I checked it out. Gosh...it's pretty interesting that this bothers people so much. I don't really know how to make it less scary. Other than to say that the guy doesn't look particularly sick. He looks just sort of like he's cross-eyed and sticking his tongue out - like maybe making a funny face or something. Maybe try just "going for it" the first time, then when you see what it looks like, sort of "back up" and imagine it as more real. Good luck - let me know how it goes.

Edited by: sage

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

OK, that wasn't too bad. Funny I found his surroundings more disturbing than the actual gagging. That he is calmly sitting on a leather chair, with his bag. I would be running around like a headless chicken trying to escape my body. haha..

Thank you for getting me past that. Now for the actual v* pics. I know I am not ready for those yet, but soon..

Thanks,
    --Kim

i know you are not supposed to do this, however, the more spontaneous part of me decided to take the last one first. As crazy as it was, i kept the last picture on my screen for over an hour. the next thing i know it was almost becoming funny. no i dont think it "cured" me but i do think it helped my anxiety by not building up to it. sometimes that makes it worse for me. just an idea though../

cant go past 35 on this night , my heart just beats real fast so im going back tomorrow !

I know what you mean, Cardinalgirl. And yes, that one is sort of funny - what dumbasses those guys are, eh? Since you've looked at that last one so long, you can easily go back and start from the beginning. Do the exercise this way: try to see if you can look at one of the very earliest ones and just "notice" how much anxiety you have. See if you can raise it slightly, then use relaxation techniques and slow breathing to bring it back down. Keep doing this. Eventually, your brain will "learn" that you can control your anxiety - take it up, bring it down. You're not a victim of it - and you're not "out of control" - not at all.

When your brain learns this, you will be much calmer altogether. Then as the months and years go by, you will find that if ever you are sick and do vomit, you will only be anxious for a few minutes. Not years and years.

Anyway, that's just the theory of how it works. Do what you feel is best for you.

Good luck!

I'm new to the forum and I am just now considering having therapy. I want children, but am so deathly afraid of what comes along with it, that I can't even think about it. Everyone has tried to tell me that "when its your own kid it will be different". I truly think that is bull. I have left my husband for days at a time when he is sick and can't even use the same toilet for a week.

Any mothers? Let me know how you felt. I'm ok with doing "it"myself, just can't watch others or even feed a baby at this point

Well I think with all moms (emet moms) it has been something that has triggered them to just take that step.
    Myself I never even wanted children, not just for emet but I wanted to be a career woman. Then I met my husband who from the time he was like 15 when his sister got married and had her children, wanted a family. I love him so much and he cared about me and my wellbeing (emet and all) that I was willing to try it. It is different when its your own kids.
    They also seem to be able to slowly ween you into it. A little burp up here, a little spit up there. I still freak out when I hear him say his tummy hurts, but I deal with it. If I don't feel I can, my husband knows that means he stays home from work that day.
    When you see that little face pleading to you to comfort them and all you want to do is tell them its ok, you will be alright soon. A mother (or father) with emet can pull it together pretty fast it seems and deal with it at the time.
    Welcome to the site. You can maybe even make your own 1st post so more people will see your post. Lots of good people here, with different advice on what has worked or not worked.
    I hope that just you knowing that there are others will help you out a bit. I know it helped me.
    All the best
    Melissa

Hi Mellis! Welcome to the site. I know what you mean about it being "bull" with your own kids. I married a man with a 5-year-old and he promised he'd look after him like he always did (otherwise, I may never have had kids). Then I had two more of my own, but when they were sick I was a complete basket-case and it made no difference that they were my own. That's when I sought treatment, and worked away at it for years. Now my kids are 32, 24 and 22...I'm SO glad I had them - they are WONDERFUL. And I'm completely cured of the emetophobia (although that didn't happen until my youngest was about 18)