Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Anyone have experience with someone who has had their tonsils and adenoids out as an adult? Chris is going in for surgery tomorrow, and I'm a bit freaked out. I read the "what to expect" pamphlet, an of course they mentioned the possibility of vomitting due to swallowing blood, or general discomfort. The vomitting isn't only my main concern- there is also the likelihood that he will be right loopy from the meds (which he has never taken before), so he will not know when he is going to be sick and possibly make a mess.

I am stocking up on popsicles, juice, gingerale- essentially everything the doc suggested. Has anyone else had the surgery- or had to deal with an adult who has had the surgery? Most people get them out when they are kids- poor Chris' have been inflamed since he was 17, and it gives him sleep apnea so they need out. I just wish I wasn't so apprehensive, as I know that there is no way for me to avoid this situation, and I really want to be there for him.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I had them out as a kid and I v* blood for several hours after. I think the technique they use now is better, less blood loss. My friend had hers out a few years ago and she didn't v* blood, but was extremely n*. I wish him luck.
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

I'm not much help here as I still own my tonsils, but I did have my adenoids out when I had my grommits put in when I was 6ish. My throat hurt ALOT and everyone else in the room with me was v*ing. I didn't but it's because I refused to eat straight after the op like they wanted me to. I would advise Chris not to eat anything for a few hours after the anaesthetic (phew - tough word) has started towear off.

I have heard it's worse on adults...but i guess each person is diff. I hate you will have to go through this with him, but i know you have to do it.....i think my husband may be having some gallbladder surgery in the near future....so i will be dreading that too....good luck, and i hope he does just fine.
    Kate

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

A good friend of mine had her tonsils taken out in March. My friend wasnt too loopy from the meds, but she did get sick and vomit. She got sick on the ride home, she thinks that was because of the pain meds she was on, everytime she took them, she got sick, so after a day or so of this, her doctor changed her meds. She said it was very painful, and she had intended on only taking one week off of work, but ended up taking two weeks off. The whole procedure only last about 30 mins. Then she stayed at the hospital for about 4-6 hours after the surgery, then they sent her home. My friend didnt have a lot of blood loss or anything like that ........... what caused her to be sick was her pain meds.

Amber, I hope all goes well tomorrow, I know that this is nerve racking for you. Please let us know how he does if you have a chance to.

wishing him all the best xx

Hi Amber, I had mine out when I was 19, and didn't feel sick or v* at all, but I have to say it was one of the most painful things I have gone through. Of course, I didn't take pain meds except very minor ones, but when I did I just made sure I had something bland in my tummy. I had d* pretty badly, I attribute that to the blood maybe, but I'll take that any day over v*. I felt so much better after a while though, hardly any illnesses and no snoring. Keep us posted on how he's doing! Janna

Thanks guys- I appreciate the messages.

So far everything went fine- he had his operation at around 8am, and I went to pick him up at the hospital at 11am. I had a friend up from Newfoundland, so luckily she came with me to pick him up (i dont drive), to save me from taking a cab...especially since the cleaning fee for getting sick in a cab is 50$.

Luckily- I didn't have to worry. He was indeed very green and somewhat woozy, but he wasn't sick, which is good. He is in a lot of pain though, but the operation was very much needed- apparently what they removed from him were the size of golf balls, which explains why they affected his speech and sleep.

I just picked up his meds, which he already had one dose administered at the hospital and was okay with. Tylenol with Codeine- good stuff. Said it made him a bit dizzy, but it helped a lot with the pain. He is also saying he is hungry, which I am taking as a good sign- although we're not going to try anything but clear liquids for the next few hours. He has been spitting up blood, which is gross,but its a lot better than him swallowing and it making him sick later. I put a big garbage next to the futon I set up for him in the livingroom (with a washable cover). so hopefully that will catch anything that may have to come up.

I am so relieved everything went well- he is relaxing watching a movie with an ice pack to his throat....and when I walked by he tried to look up my skirt, so I take that as a sign that he's recovering, lol.

*amber*

Im glad everything went so well!!!!

Isnt it funny how men will still try to look up our shirts, ect ........ even when they feel like crap!!!!

I'm glad everything went well. Make sure he gets lots of ice cream.
    <a href=\"
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;