Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I'm having all four wisdom teeth removed next Monday. As usual, my fear is less of pain than of any possible nausea and vomiting. I can deal with pain. I'm not so sure about the other.

Does either the procedure or the drugs of wisdom tooth removal cause nausea or vomiting? Are there any special requests Ishould make of my dentist to prevent these? Any painkillers I can take afterward that won't make me vomit? I'm scared...

Don't be scared. As an emet, I'm sure you'll get through it retch-free. How are they anesthetizing you? I think it would be better to be awake for it and use nitrous oxide. General anesthetic is more likely to cause vomiting than the extractions. Do you really need the teeth out? Some people keep theirs.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have a look at this thread, it will make you feel much better: http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/for...sp?TID=9948&am p;PN=1

- As you can see Marty was as worried as you and was absoluely fine, infact ended up laughing through the proceedure!

Regards painkillers afterwards my dentist always recommended ibuprofen, and they have never made me feel in the slightest bit nauseous even when taken on an empty stomach.

.•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Have you spoken to your dental surgeonabout anaesthetic and your worries? Many people have 'conscious sedation' where you don't lose consciousness but don't remember anything after. I've NEVER heard of people being ill from it afterwards. Never had it, but it sounds good.

I had a tooth out a couple of weeks ago just with a local anaesthetic andI was fine. Nothing to worry about after all!

But you need to discuss it with your dentist! Good luck!

I had the conscious sedation and took percocet after for the pain and was fine. I'm sure you'll be okay!

Thanks, everyone--I talked to my doctor this morning, and I will be given an antiemetic during the surgery. They're also prescribing menon-codeine, non-nauseatingpainkillers.

I assume I'll be under general anesthesia. My bottom teeth haven't come through the gums yet, and I'm not even sure they've come out of my jawbone. Only the very tips of my top teeth have come through the gums. Basically, I'm in for a difficult surgery, and I can't imagine they'd make me go through it awake, even sedated, having to listen to them remove parts of my jawbone to get to the teeth...[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

What I'm worried about now is how I'm going to handle my mouth filling up with blood and having to keep lumps of gauze so close to my throat. I have a crazy gag reflex. Hopefully the antiemetics will still be working at that point.Edited by: juliet

I can't exactly tell you what to expect if you don't know what kind of anesthesia you're having. General anesthesia does carry an tendancy toward nausea, so make sure you get an antiemetic if that is what you're having.

I had concious sedation and you are by no means listening to them cutting you open. You don't remember a damn thing! During mine after the IV was in all I remember is him slipping the little rubber block into my mouth, and then the next thing I knew his assistant was shaking me awake telling me it was time to go.

I woke up starving and thirsty (I was so dehydrated because I refused to drink even water for 12 hours before hand). The most annoying part was wating for enough feeling to come back in my mouth that I could eat some jello without choking.

I was scared to take the Vicodin that I was prescribed because I thought it would make me n*. I eventually did to help me sleep and made me a little edgy, but not sick. If you're prescribed a narcotic be sure you don't take it on an empty stomach, it's people who do that who I hear of v*ing.

hello!! i had my wisdom teeth out a little over a year ago and i do have to say that everyone reacts differently...one of my friends couldnt get out of bed and was just sick to her stomach, while another was at the toilet at all day...me...well i actually lucked out...it does make you nauseated but thats a given after any surgery just because you arent yourself for a while after, plus the taste isnt that great...but no V!!! i rested a lot after the procedure and then was sitting up, drinking 7up and gingerale, eating soups...i was fine after that!! went to the store...just didnt talk because it was a little painful!! i took 500mg of tylenol and i was good!! no vicoden needed for me.. but it sure was a relief to get them out!! just be sure to take care of them to avoid infection...cause thats where you will have a problem!! i was on whole foods about 2 days after which is actually good!! best of luck and let us know how it goes for you!!

ps~ avoid corn on the cob and popcorn quite a while after they are done...not a good combo with the holes in your mouth!! i had a bad experience with that!![img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    ♥LIDIA&hearsts;

I had what you had. It is called impaction. They put me under and gave me the antiemetic. Which it seems they don't give you unless you metion you may get nauseated or are afraid of getting nauseated. So its good you talked to him about it.
    The whole bleeding mouth thing isn't something to dwell on. I tend to heal easy mind you and was so not with it for the period the gauze was there I didn't really think about it. The gauze is folded and you can fold it however it is comfortable with you as long as there is pressure just like you would a cut. If you follow the rules about not smoking and not sucking through a straw and keeping to soft foods the bleeding won't be an issue either.
    I am sure you will do just fantastic.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Hi there!
    I had my 4 wisdom teeth out about a year ago while i was asleep. i
    was worried about the gauze too. Well i was worried about everything
    but the gauze was included. In reality absolutely nothing happened. I
    never felt n* the entire time. I even went to my friends birthday
    sleepover 2 days later.
    Although her brother did make fun of me for my chipmunk cheeks...hee
    hee...
    The gauze isn't bad at all...its rather small...and the blood doesn't
    come out fast or anything. Im sure you will have no problems at all. I
    was so scared before mine but it was all easy.Edited by: livielove123
    ~viva~

Hello... i get my 4 wisdom teeth out on Friday and i have shared the same concerns as you and possibly some more... i am scared out of my mind about being able to feel everything while im put under.... im sure that everything will work out well for the both of us!! Good Luck!! xoxo Hannah

Hey, I had my wisdom teeth out 3 years ago, and I was absolutetly fine!! No n* at all. The pain meds they gave me didn't bother me either, they were actually alot of fun!! I hope you have a good experience. Let us know how it goes!! Good luck.

Yay...it's over. I went under general anesthesia via IV withan antiemetic and didn't feel nauseated at all.Thiswas my second surgery under general anesthesia (I didn't use an antiemetic for the first, and still didn't feel nauseated, so maybe I didn't need the antiemetic this time?), only this time they didn't sedate me before putting me under, so it was intense...in a good way, though. Very tingly.

I'm on Darvocet, which, they say, is the least likely of all the usual painkillers to cause nausea. So no problems there.

And the gauze wasn't too bad, either--it was nice to be able to control its size and position, and on the few occasions I felt like gagging, I just pressed my chin to my chest and the gagging sensation went away immediately. I ditched the gauze a few hours ago--I've stopped bleeding and I don't want the clots to stick to the gauze and get ripped out.

Glad to hear everything went well! Hope your mouth heals up quickly!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb