Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: OT: pitbulls

i recently heard that some u.s. cities are banning pitbulls. a girl that i graduated with moved to san diego and says that it's very possible that they're going to start banning pitbulls there soon. basically if you own or rent property, you cannot own a pitbull. people are selling their houses and moving orliving out of theircars in order to keep their dogs.these cities keep them in shelters away from the public and eventually put them to sleep. this girl sent me a petition that's been going around her neighborhood and it made me cry. my nextdoor neighbors have a pitbull, and they don't pay much attention to him which is usually what leads to dogs being violent and dangerous, but he's still a nice dog. my mom also said that when my parents bought our house, the insurance companies asked if we had a dog because the insurance is higher if you own a pitbull! are they really that terrible? can't all dogs, any breed, be tempremental and dangerous? i don't know, i think this is so wrong. it's like taking a family member away. i can't imagine what i'd do if somebody knocked on my door and said they were taking my dog and putting her to sleep. just curious as to what everybody else thinks about this.
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

There is currently a pitbull ban in the province of ontario (where I live). It doesnt mean you have to get rid of one if you have one, but that it must be leashed and muzzled when outside (unless it is in the owner's fenced in yard), and must be spayed or neutered- no breeding. You are allowed to own one or acquire one from a shelter, but you must comply to the regulation.

http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.o...sh/about/pubs/ dola-pubsfty/dola-pubsfty.asp#TOC_08

What makes me laugh is this paragraph:
    <H2>Acquiring Restricted Pit Bulls</H2>
    <UL>
    <LI>Pit bulls kept legally after the ban will be known as "grandfathered" or restricted put bulls.
    <LI>A person who did not own any pit bulls on August 29, 2005, will be able to acquire one restricted pit bull.
    <LI>A person who owned one or more pit bulls on August 29, 2005 will be able to acquire more restricted pit bulls so long as the effect would not be to leave the person with more pit bulls than he or she owned on August 29, 2005.
    <LI>Pounds and humane societies are able to adopt out restricted pit bulls, provided that the transfer of the pit bull to a new owner would not lead to a violation of the restrictions on acquisition. </LI>[/list]

So.....if you didnt have a pitbull when the ban was passed, you can still acquire one. If you did- you can only replace one if it dies or changes ownership. So it's not exactly a ban per se, but restrictions on ownership, some of which I think should apply to most, if not all dog owners.

Everyone SHOULD have their dogs spayed or neutered- and a muzzle isn't always a bad thing when out for a walk, as it will prevent them from eating things that they shouldn't- not to mention protect you if, by chance, anything happened. There are some mean assed little kids out there- my grandfather had to put down his Husky because he bit a kid after he yanked on his tail and bit him. Kai was a sweet dog, and completely fine around my aunt and I when we were little (this incident happened awhile ago), but all it takes is for the dog to try and protect itself, and you can end up being required to put it down.

As for the banning of a total breed- I don't think it is at all logical, but it to some extent it is the fault and stupidity of a lot of peoplefor it to come to this. People are buying pitbulls because they are an impressive "muscle" dog, and are popular at the moment. Meanwhile, they aren't looking into where they are getting them (if they are buying from a breeder who has produced "guard dogs" for years, chances are they will get a dog better suited to attack than to be a family dog), nor are they training them properly. A lot of these dogs are ending up in local shelters because they are cute as puppies, but when they get older they are difficult to manage (as they have not done any obedience training), and can be dangerous due to how their jaws are constructed.

Yes, all dogs can be tempermental and dangerous- but when I pitbull bites down, it's jaws lock and they can cause a lot more damage. Also, for so many years they were bred specifically for protection, which means that many were bred for those specific traits.

While I don't agree with the banning of the breed- I understand the rationale behind it, and how the actions of some stupid people have led to this.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BLONDIE~~

i got the same email, with some reaally heart-breaking pictures! I did cry, signed the petition and re-sent it to more people! My strong opinion on this, is tat it's not the poor dog's fault--it's the owner's fault!! Dog's can be trained to be wonderful, loveable companions. My uncle has a beautifull pit bull, who is the biggest baby! He cries when my uncle leaves the room, and I've allowed him near my kids when they were small too, because I know he was raised to be a great dog.

You know, as usual, something nice is ruined by ignorant, stupid, selfish people. What a shame.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Well I am personally GLAD they are banning pitbulls. I have not had good experiences with them at all. My 16 year old dog was almost KILLED by one...he was 15 at the time. I cannot believe that he made it through especially at his age...I am very lucky. Most of them are visious dogs..you just never know when they will snap. It is proven they have a chemical problem.

Amber

wow, a chemical problem? i never knew that. and i didn't know that their jaws lock either! i just think it's so sad for families who have raised good, well-behaved pitbulls. it's a shame that some people really train them to be vicious and violently protective. i feel that if you aren't going to love and care for your pet, why get one? it costs money and time and if you aren't willing to dedicate yourself to it, then why bother? i don't know, i don't necessarily agree with banning an entire breed of dogs because any dog can be dangerous. what about rottweilers? there used to be one that lived down the block from me that actually jumped through the living room windows and attacked an old man walking by. yet my best friend had a rottweiler who just recently died and she was the sweetest dog in the world. it's really a shame for the families who have raised friendly, loyal, pitbulls [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

Actually, there is a lot of misinformation circling about Pit Bulls and their so called "chemical imbalance". Many dogs can have chemical imbalances due to hereditary- but these are rare. It is likely the sign that you have gotten a dog from a bad breeder, or it has possibly been inbred. Apparently there is also a disorder called "rage syndrome" in dogs, which can cause seizures by which they get violent. There is no conclusive research out there that says that pit bulls have a chemical disorder.

Generally, its the people, not the dog that is the problem. Not spaying or neutering your pet can make them more tempermental and prone to aggression. Buying a breed innappropriate to your lifestyle can also lead to aggression- as pit bulls are not the type that can be neglected.

Believe it or not, pit bulls aren't even the most common dogs cited in attacks- although admittedly their strength can cause more harm. Believe it or not, some of the breeds more prone to biting are chihuahas, cocker spaniels, lhasa apsos- and even labs and retrievers.

Amber, I'm sorry that your dog was attacked, and glad that it survived- was the other dog on a leash? Was your dog on a leash? I think it was the owner's fault for not properly restricting his dog (leash, and muzzle if he knew he was aggressive with other dogs- believe me, you find this out quickly), not the dog's fault. That's like blaming a two year old for setting a fire, and not the parents who gave him the matches.

You can't make the generalization that "most pit bulls are vicious dogs"- have you met most pit bulls? The actual incidences of them biting are rare, they just tend to make the news because their strength usually causes more damage. The media and law makers LOOOVe to make mass generalizations, and try to appease the public with legislation that is quick and usually based on one or two incidences, not the picture as a whole.

I'm sorry that your dog was attacked- but you can't use that as the baseline by which to judge an entire breed. It's not the breed that is the problem, just the actions of a few ignorant people- but unfortunately we can't euthanize them.

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i actually had a pitbull most my life growing up...never once did i ever have a problem with it attacking people or me or my family...it honestly is how it is raised...my family did get it because it was a tough dog, yet a cute and innocent animal!! most people get them because they want to make them vicious so they fight and attack people!! however you cant blame that on the dog or categorize that breed of dog to be that way!! i like the line about blaming the child for starting the fire when the parents left the matches out for them to grab...its true!! there are too many people (mostly young,immature people) who end up pregnant and have horrible parenting skills and their children end up in a mess...just like dogs owners train them...they become what they are brought up to be...there is no reason to blame innocent animals better yet one specific breed who are just told what to do by their owner!! people need to find the real root to the problem here!! Edited by: loveable101
    &hearts;LIDIA&hearsts;

Pit bulls cannot be compared at all to a poodle. They have been bred to be killers. A scent can trigger a bloodlust and once they have that taste there is no going back. I am not blaming the dog just as I wouldn't blame a shark or bear for turning on a human or other animal.
    AND yes the owners are to blame as well in these cases. A pit bull that is loved, has proper exercise and has had proper exposure from the moment they were weined may never even raise a lip at anyone. The stigma they hold is because what they were originally raised to do peeks the interest of the less savory pet owner.
    I know they can be great companion dogs for their loyalty but I do believe that safelty of children and other animals and pets are important as well. I lost my blue ribbon show rabbits to a pit bull and later on my manx cat Nellie. He grabbed her and snapped her neck.
    Later again we got a neightbout with pit bulls who jumped their fence one night chased down my neighbour in her yard and then proceded to kill her just bred tzitzu.
    Once again just a month ago I heard screaming coming from the parking lot and a pit bull had attacked her and her lab the lab jumped in to save his master and got ripped to shreds. It was by far the most horrific site I had seen and all i could do was call 9-1-1.
    The owner of the pit bull was doing all he could to get the dog off who till then had been seen lopping behing his master loyaly.
    A statistic from an american journal there were 279 attacks on humans by dogs and 160 of those attacks were pit bulls followed by Rottweilers which were only responsible for 29 of the attacks. The percent speaks for itself.
    Where I pitty those that have obedient pit bulls I believe that the rule is all in all fair to society as a whole.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I will add too that all these situations above happened at differnt places by different dogs. And the labs, rottweillers, mutts, and spaniels that have been throughout the neighborhoods I have been in have not caused damage other than the lovely treats they leave on the lawns and the tipped over garbage cans. I have to disagree with amber
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

wow, it's so interesting to hear all of this stuff about pitbulls. i guess i don't know as much about dogs as i thought i did! i still feel that owners of these dogs have a lot more to do with this problem than the actual breed itself. i guess the owners who are raising their pitbulls to be dangerous deserve to have their dogs taken away. nobody should raise any dog to be a threat to anybody. i understand that sometimes it's beyond the owners control though. interesting topic. i wonder if more and more cities will begin to take action against pitbulls.

Oh the irony! Oh the hypocrisy! I just love people.

It's a complete tragedy when a pitbull gets blamed "innocently" for a death that the "poor dog whose owners didn't know how to train him properly" kills an innocent child. Awful. Yes.

But the same people who cry because an innocent animal (or the rain forest) gets put to death, cares nothing for an innocent baby getting put to death because a mother doesn't want it. Is it the baby's fault? Is it the pitbull's fault? Of course not.

And it's still a choice. How ridiculous. I hate hypocrisy. Who's crying "intolerance" now? Does an animal's life matter more than an innocent human's? Of course, because it's the wicked owners' fault, right? That poor animal is innocent. But the human woman has rights...of course she does. Because the human race is superior, right?

I have never heard anything more hypocritial and ridiculous in my entire life. I bet ifa pregnant pitbull got killed for biting a child or an elderly person, the whole world would explode. But innocent children get killed everyday, by the same people who cry for animal rights. Hypocrisy!

I can almost guarantee that my post will get deleted--or maybe the whole thread--because whatI'm saying isn't "tolerant" or doesn't agree with the thoughts of the "21st century, progressive,more mature people."

Whatever.

If you'rewilling to let go of four years of friendship and help from me, because I don't agree with your"perfect,Utopia politics" then fine. I don'tneed the solidification and acceptance.

"Peace"

Oh and by the way, it is apparently okay to criticize dog owners for training their dogs to be protectors and bloodthirsty, but heaven forbid you accuse someone of your own human race to take the same attitude toward an innocent baby--or zygote or fetus, as you like to call them.

It's a shame that a pregnant dog gets more concern and love than a pregnant human. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]Edited by: HDogg

It's not the fact that your post doesn't agree that it offends me Heather, I have no issue with what anyone else believes, you and I have butted heads before. It's that it's going to take this post about one thing and blow it up into a debate about something entirely different because it's something people will feel strongly about. You are making assumptions about some peoples beliefs. I honestly couldn't care what you choose to believe or not, whether it's PC or not. But dragging that type of argument into this is unneeded.

I cannot moderate in this forum, that's up to John but I would urge everyone to keep this as a discussion about pitbulls and nothing else.

Edited by: hippychick
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I would say that that was totally uncalled for since it is one topic blown into a topic that should not be discussed on this thread or any thread in this site.
    The topic was about pitbulls and I love to be able to read all the points of view and respect all the oppinions.

PEACE to you too hun seems like you need some

This isnt an ethical,political debate website!

Ive noticed a lot of these controvertial topics lately, remember the subject should be phobia related, this is meant to be a reference / support site, these topics arent helping people, keep that in mind.

I dont mind a little OT but, take it easy.

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    IES Admin