Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

ok this might seem strange but for some reason i get really nervous when my daughter gets a cold. i'm always afraid that the mucus is gonna make her v* or that she's gonna cough so hard she'll gag herself and v*. does anyone know anything i can give a 3 year old to help suppress the cough so that its not so rough? i guess it's better that it's loose and not just stuck in her chest, but the sound of her coughing sends chills up my spine.

my daughter has asthma, so i know exactly what you are going through. she is almost 10 now, so we have years of dealing with these mucusy coughs under our belts.

there is a triaminic out there that has only a decongestant and expectorant. it's yellow, i think it's like a tropical flavor. that has worked great with jade. it stops the mucus and breaks up what is already there.

anything with guiafessin will help break up the thick stuff.

if you do want to supress the cough (what we would do is supress it at night, but let her cough during the day time), anything with dextromethorphan works great. i forget the name of the stuff we've been using, but it's a 12 hour one and is only a cough suppressant, so i give her that at night along with the triaminic and just the triaminic through the day.
    (just looked it up- the cough syrup we use on really tough stuff at night is called delsym)

another thing is to gently knock on her back to try to break up the stuff in there. just kind of rub and gently tap. make her drink a lot of water and have her sleep kinda elevated.

i understand the anxiety that comes along with a child's cough. it's hard to deal with. i hope she's over this one quickly.

\"This too shall pass\"

thank you SO SO much!!!!!!! i'm taking her to the doctor in an hour and if he doesn't give me anything i'm heading right to the store to get what you told me about. thank you so much for all of your help, it really made me feel better. i guess now all i can do is wait it out and see how long it lasts! thanks again, i really appreciate it!

Hello,

My son has asthma, and would get horrible coughs from it. What we found works very well are Dimetapp and Robitussin CF.

I do hope she feels better soon!!!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I know it worries you but just remember if she happens to v_ which I highly doubt it, it is ONLY because the mucus. Nothing that you will get.

I used to get bronchitus that would turn into pneumonia (Sp?) at least twice a year from the age of like 8 to 15. My mom gave me this OTC stuff that tasted like monkey butt but it knocked out my cough almost immediately. I don't exactly remember what it was called, but it was orange colored. Anyway my point here is I NEVER ONCE threw up because of my cough, even when it made me gag. But take other people's advice. I hope she gets better soon.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Be careful, I dont want to be a doomsayer, but this immediately reminded me of when I was little and had a bad cough, my mother gave me some cough medicine that tasted so bad, it made me V*!

I know how you feel, my daughter v* frequently through coughing although it doesn't bother me too much as I know no-one else will catch it. The thing is, coughing is the body's way of expelling the mucous from the lungs. For the most part, it's good to cough and you really shouldn't give her anything to stop it as she needs to clear the mucous. If she doesn't, it can become infected and her (and your) problems will be even worse!

I echo Shiva's advice here, an expectorant would be good to loosen the mucous, she'll cough less violently then, and of course, use a supressant at night so you all get some rest. A good natural soother is the juice of half a lemon and a teaspoon of honey in a cup of warm water. My doctor advised this when I had first hadpneumonia and it really helped.

Good luck!

TIXILIX! (cough medicine)It's so good! Hope she's ok, and u! x

I hope your daughter is feeling better now....coughs always scare me too...wondering what will come of it. But i think the doc should give you something to help alot...take care.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"