Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I can't believe I'm not the only one.

I've lived with this for so, so long... have, at times, considered therapy, but have convinced myself that this fear of vomit was rare and treatment wasn't really an option.

I can't believe this.

I have had such problems with emetophobia in my life. I am not sure exactly when it got bad- perhaps in high school? I know that when I started college, I avoided parties with alcohol in case I'd see some barfing. It's not so much myself I'm afraid of- it's other people vomitting, that I don't want to see or hear.

I've embarrassed myself a few times, and my husband, to get out of a situation where someone was throwing up. I was a schoolteacher for four years and of course, I always had the barfing students. I was always able to somewhat control myself and get the student out of the room, but one time I got scolded by the principal for the way I dealt with an ill student.

I've had to force myself to deal with my husband's occasional stomach flu- twice since our marriage seven years ago. I love him so much... I resist the urge to run out of the house and drive away when he's ill.

I'm not a teacher any more. I'm in med school. Now, in two years, I'll be an MD. I know, without a doubt, I'll see throwing up in the hospitals. I'm so scared. But, it's nice to not be the only one.

Airplanes are a huge problem- somehow I always get on the plane with the motion sick children. It's horrible.

On a side note, I've read everything there is to read about vomit in the medical text books. I know all the things that happen in the brain, stomach, etc.... I know exactly how it works. And putting it in a medical perspective helps a teeny tiny bit.

Thanks for reading.

Asher

Welcome![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]I hope you find the support you need here.

Hey asher,

Nope you arent the only one, were a small community here, but give excellent support and great debates..

Keep going with your career, as once you have got passed this you will be thankful for this!!

Welcome here and I hope you find some friends and hopefully some helpful answers to some of your fears!

Take Care

Violet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Welcome!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Welcome to the group! you are finally not alone anymore! i remember feeling so liberated when i found this group and this site! FINALLY people who understand me!!

hugs!!
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

Welcome to the group , Im sure you will find some support here and we have all felt the same way about finding this site " we arent the only ones" , I can remember when I found this site I thought I made some kind of breakthrough because I honestly thought that 110% I was the only one on this planet with a fear so ridiculous!

seriously - huge props on pursuing a career in the medical field, that takes guts.
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

did you ever get sick from when your husband was or kids were sick in school?
    I love Sam

Quote Originally Posted by rubysoho120
    did you ever get sick from when your husband was or kids were sick in school?
    Actually no, I never did from the kids, or from the husband- I am absolutely obsessed about germs and after my husband was ill, I scrubbed the house wearing a surgical mask and scrubs, with harsh chemicals. Never got sick from him.

However, my husband DID get sick from me two years ago- I had the stomach flu and was throwing up... poor guy took care of me, then ended up getting it.

Welcome. Everytime i feel sick this groop isa great support. Wish i had known about this site earlier in my life.