Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

The following was posted on my blog
    fearsandphobias.blogspot.com

To tell you the truth I don’t watch that much TV, although I sometimes flip through the channels, briefly stopping at the nightly news. Most of the news I get comes from reading it on the internet or from discussions at work with co-workers.

For at least 6 months after the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center, I was addicted to Fox News. Nowadays, I don’t even know what channel it’s on. And since I stopped watching it, my stress level has come down.

Part of the reason I get bad emetophobic days is due to stress. I believe the start of my emetophobia was triggered by stress and I tend to bring it own over the smallest things.

When I hear of awful diseasters or terrible acts of nature that happen in the world, I tend to experience more hearburn, upset stomach, and that queasy butterflies in my stomach feeling which sets off panic attacks. The video footage of events that bring the viewers to the front lines of tornadoes whipping through homes or weeping Mothers making desperate pleas for abductors to return their child have a traumatic effect on me.

Am I the only emetophobe who can claim that Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, and every other news channel makes my emetophobia worse? I would love to hear your response.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Friend me on Facebook
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hmm, i've heard someone say this before on the site. i'll try to search
    for that thread...

it's not true for me though, buti can understand how emetophobia can
    be exacerbated for some by these other goings-on in the world.Edited by: prncesspnk

I definate;y get worse when Im stressed and upset. In fact, the only time mine seems to play up is when Im stressed or got problems. I remember saying on another thread, that after the 9/11 (even though im in the UK), I had a huge rush of panic, and I couldnt eat for days. Similar events will kick it off also, I think its cos Im sucj an empathic person (as you probably are too). My boyfriend tells me its one of my many flaws!! lol.

There was a bomb a few years ago in a pub I was supposed to be working in that night. But for some reason, I called in sick and I NEVER do that. So me and my boyf spent the night elsewhere, and when I looked at my phone, i had so many missed calls and txts from worried friends and family. That shook me to the core, and my emet got really bad after that. It also got bad when the bombs went off on the trains and busses in London. A lot of my best friends work up there and I was tterrified. Also, one of the bombs went off on a train I was supposed to be on (was supposed to be going to see a friend), but I cancelled the night before. I guess maybe I have a bit of 6th sense. So youre not alone hun. I dont watch the news all that much anymore, cos I do get upset by it.
    xxx

It's a scientific fact that stress levels rising lead to anxiety attacks, and therefore phobia attacks would get worse. It's also a fact that a lot of American news channels use fear to up their ratings. Journalists and reporters used to serve a function in America to keep politicians in line by calling them to account. However, if that isn't "popular" then reporters won't do it because their ratings or sales will go down and journalism is all now money-driven.
    Just watch BBC (British) or Canadian news about the war in Iraq and you'll see one HECK of a difference in the reporting. The BBC doesn't have to worry about ratings in relation to the war, so you'll get a much clearer picture.
    Honest-to-God, you can thank the comedians in America for now being the ones to call the government into account. Jay Leno, Letterman, Conan O'Brien, SNL and Jon Stewart/Colbert are the ones who will give you the "truth". Them and the bloggers.
    Anyway, that's a bit OT. But ya, if you're stressed by the news don't watch it. It'll make your phobia worse!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Ugh, yeah I watch as little news as possible. Most of its bad or extremely dramatic and aside from that grating my anxiety it grates my nerves as well.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I'm in the UK and I have never felt anxious after the news unless it is about a s*v*.

yea cash, that's exactly what i was thinking. whenever there's a story
    about an sv epidemic or a salmonella outbreak or something of the
    sort, then i freak out. but that's about it.