Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default question for all.....

Do you fellow emets actually feel or believe that we are less s*? And do you also believe that we can physically stop ourselves from v*? My thearapist is adament that our brains cannot stop v*, although I have been told that the brain is more poweful that the body, what is everyones opinion on this?

Default Re: question for all.....

i believe in mind over matter, a doctor will say other wise to not commit to one specific body function so you wont be upset with he/she if something else happens than what they had said would.

most emets are much more cleanly than the average person and are much more careful.

Mind over matter. I haven't *v since 1988 and I'm pretty sure that if I'd been anyone but my emetophobic self there were a few times in these past few decades where I would have absolultley *v. I think some people can stop the *v response in certain situations.

I agree with jennh about emets being sick less because we are more careful. Most non-emets don't know important facts about norovirus (the source of most of my anxiety), such as: (1) It's not spread through the air in the same manner as the flu, so proper hygiene and cleaning go a long way, and (2) most alcohol-based hand sanitizers don't work. Since I have become more aware of such information, I have never contracted norovirus from an unidentified source (public bathroom, etc.).

As for preventing *v, my sister has told me that touching the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth works. It sounds weird, and luckily I haven't had the opportunity to see if it works, but I'll try anything in that moment of desperation.

Cara -

A lot of the reason we became emets is because we hardly ever vomited when we were children. Naturally we vomit even less as adults.

And the urge to vomit can be suppressed. Ask your therapist if she could make it to the bathroom if she felt the urge to vomit. Certainly she can. Then tell her we emets use the same suppression techniques she uses to make it to the bathroom to keep from vomiting altogether. Tell her before a person can puke, there has to be a deep breath that starts them off retching. If that deep breath can be prevented, so can the retching and therefore the vomiting.

On top of all of the natural suppression power everyone has, we have our will power and determination to keep from vomiting. And on top of that, many of us use powerful anti-emetics as soon as we feel nauseated.

So don't listen to a therapist who wants you to question your own strength. Just tell her that while she's kneeling down on the bathroom floor, you'll be quietly keeping everything in your gut.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I believe we are sick less often. However we cannot stop ourselves from V*ing if we REALLY need to. I mean if we feel sick from anxiety or a bug you can stop it most times by telling yourself not to. But lets say you have a very bad sv or food poisoning, in those situations if you try to stop it, you will most likely V* no matter how hard you try. Sometimes we just have to V* and no matter what we do it happens.

I have always been able to delay vting as a child, but unfortunately I couldn`t stop it altogether, but as I grew up I found it easier & easier, so that now I can hold it in no matter how much my body might want to v.