Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Freaking out about restaurant with good reason

Hi everyone,

I hope you all are having lovely days/nights. I just dined at a restaurant near me that's mainly known for banquets and not necessarily for just dining but I had to go because it was a family thing. I was reading reviews before hand and they are kind of known for making people sick but again I had to suck it up for my family. I ordered a vegetable panini because I thought it would be the safest thing on the menu. I went to the bathroom to wash my hands before I ate and someone had just gotten sick in the bathroom, there was evidence. But I needed to wash my hands so I kept going on with my business. I don't know if it was the food or if the person was sick but either way I feel like there is some way I can get sick from this from either a stomach virus that the person had and the droplets in the air or food poisoning since this place is known to do that. When I picked up my panini to eat it, the yellow zucchini wasn't very fresh and had brown spots on it so I took it off and ate very little of my sandwich. So here's the obvious question, what are the chances I could get sick from either the bathroom experience and/or the panini and the seemingly unfresh veggies? Thank you for taking the time out to read this and your responses, I really appreciate it.

Default Re: Freaking out about restaurant with good reason

Oh my gosh, you are handling this very well. As soon as I knew someone had gotten sick in the bathroom I would have run away! I probably would have taken a Klonopin and not eaten anything. But it sounds like you kept so calm! I'm sure you will be fine. There's no way to catch a stomach virus unless it touched you, right? So because you were just washing your hands, you should be ok. For peace of mind I would just think that the person was sick already. If they got sick from the restaurant...they wouldn't get sick until about 6 hours later, right?

Default Re: Freaking out about restaurant with good reason

Thank you for responding. I'm still freaking out but trying to remain calm. I'm reaching the 12 hour mark of when I ate food at this restaurant and I'm having a hard time getting it off my mind. I'm worried that if the lady was sick that I could still get it because the person who pointed out the vomit flushed the toilet and I was in the stall next to that one. If the person was sick, couldn't I get sick from the air droplets when she flushed it?? Ugh. This phobia.