Hi All,

I haven't been on here in a long time - but I had to come back and get some views, advice etc... so thanks all in advance.

My lifelong dream job is to be a police officer, or a prison officer. Unfortunatly this phobia prevents me from doing that, especally being in England seems like police mostly deal with getting drunks off the street which I couldn't handle.

Anyway, at 19 my passion to work for the police/prison was still so strong that I decided to apply for a job at a prison 20 miles away from me (after chickening out of going to universiry due to my phobia!) as an Part Time Administrative Assistant providing cover for someone who was on maternity leave. I loved the role as it let me get a little bit more involved and made me feel as if I was still doing something. I ovbiously did a good job as within 2 and a half months I got promoted to Administrative Officer, which is a permanant role within the Education department of the prison - my new job involves monitoring absences from class (amungst other things) so I have even more interaction with the place (rather than just photocopying things!) and makes me even more involved..

But when I walk around on the units (or wings, whatever you want to call them) or see the officers on the gate of the education class something just hurts me that I can't do the job. I'd do anything to be able to apply for a job as a police officer, but until I tackle this phobia it will never happen, as if someone were to V* i'd be in the car and driving off faster than the speed of light!!

I'm not saying that I don't like my job, I do I absolutley love it - but I wish I could get that bit more involved and actually do something that makes a big difference. Does anyone else out there feel my pain? Or did anyone give into their dreams and go for the job anyway?

Thanks!!