I haven't posted here in a REALLY long time- but I figured I would post this here to possibly help anyone who may be thinking of having children and are scared that they may not be able to handle their children being ill.

I am ok with myself being sick- but am very fearful of others. If someone in my proximity is ill my first response is to run away- if my husband is sick I stay downstairs so I don't have to see/hear him. If I hear or see someone being sick, my body's immediate physiological response is to FLIGHT! My heart drops to my feet and I break a sweat.

Today Norah (my 16 month old daughter) got her first stomach virus- first of all, I'm pretty proud that she has been in daycare since 8 months, and I take her everywhere (and try not to get anxious about her touching everything/playing with other children), and she is only NOW getting vomit-sick for the first time. I think that's pretty dang good, if I do say so myself.

Anyway, she was being babysat by my BIL/SIL today while we had an appt (BTW- Direct Buy is a TOTAL scam- we were at an open house, and it was a complete waste of time and their membership fee is insane- but I digress), and when we walked in the door my SIL came to meet us holding Norah, and she threw up ALL OVER her. I didn't know someone so little could possibly hold so much in her stomach- the poor thing. We were ALL surprised....and I totally picked her up so SIL could get changed, cleaned her off, and carried her to the car. She proceeded to throw up again on the ride home, and then seemed to be fine. She was playing with her toys and smiling- and of course as soon as I got a clean outfit on her, BAM, one more time.

I not only cleaned her up, but rinsed out her nasty clothes and put them in the wash. I would say that my anxiety level was actually only about a 3....I was more concerned with her (TMI- it was undigested, so she had a hard time getting it all up, the poor thing) as opposed to my emet. The mess was absolutely disgusting- but I figured I'm the mom, I'm here, I have to deal with it. If it was someone else's child I'm not sure what I would have done...but when it's your own, it IS different.

It honestly feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders- I was completely worried that once she was eating solid food and stopped the "spitting up" thing, I wouldn't be able to handle it. I feel much more confident- as though I can handle it, and don't have to worry about the "what if". What happened today was probably the worst-case scenario vomit-wise, and I could do it.

So....if you are worried there is a chance that you CAN do it. It isn't pleasant, but it certainly wasn't the end of the world.