I've heard from several sources that if you are told from a therapist that in order to get better they need to make you vomit as part of the treatment, that you should run. Well I've seen 3 therapists now and have not had any success. No one seems to know what they're doing, even though they claim to specialize in anxiety and phobias. 2 of them suggested vomiting as part of treatment, but didn't push it. It was up to me, so I continued treatment. But there just never seemed to be a real treatment plan. It was mainly talk therapy, trying to figure out where the phobia came from, trying to figure out what other parts of my life are out of control that we can fix that may relate to the phobia, and then talk of desensitization but never actually doing it. It's done nothing. So I called a Center for Cognitive Behaviorial Therapy in my area, figuring I actually need someone to take me through the steps of the phobia directly. When I called them, the first thing they told me was that part of treatment was making you vomit. I told them how I've read in various emetophobia sources that if anyone tells you that you should run. He said he didn't know where I heard that, but it's proven that this is how you get better. I asked if they have any success rates when dealing with this phobia. They said they don't track that, it's hard to tell, because when people are better they don't normally report back. My thinking is it's likely that they're just terrified and too scared to come back!

Nevertheless, I am desperate after my kids last stomach virus. I cannot live trapped by this fear year after year. They are only 5. I am wishing they were 20 - wishing away their childhood. So I am going to the appointment. I did say that I may not follow through, but I am willing to get started and see where it goes.

So is it true that vomiting as part of treatment is helpful, or is it detrimental? I understand their logic, that's how it is with other phobias. But it makes me worry they don't truely understand emetophobia. Is it possible that it can help? Is it possible, or likely, that it can make it worse?