Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sorry forgot to answer question re last time I v*, well I wont answer that question becos I think its tempting fate but lets just say its over 10 years ago (drunken episode), apart from a couple of near misses since, (where vast quantities of alcolhol were involved!!!)

Laney xx

Last time for me was last November, the Monday before Thanksgiving. I v* twice and my stepdad was sick also and v* much more. I was an emet then, it was my first time v* as an emet and I was terrified. None of that "feeling better" after it was over. I was trembling so bad and crying the whole time. I came close to v* a couple months before that too.

Before that last episode, I v* April 2003, August 2002, and I can't remember before that. I think it was about 5-6 years before that August '02 sv. I was not an emet during these illnesses and was totally fine with v*. With those two in '03 and '02 I v* a lot. If I had been an emet I would've had a heart attack.
    Proud to be a FIREFIGHTER\'S GIRLFRIEND!!

Holy crap! 20,30,40 years!!!!!

I guess mine was when I was 9, so 12 years ago. *Knock on wood* It feels weird saying that...I haven't thought about it much because I'm scared to jinx myself.
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

I find this so amazing that us die hard emets- some of us haven't v* in
    20,30, 40 years. When I told my psychologist (at my first appt. last week)
    that I haven't v* in 33 years, he said "WHAT? What do you mean you
    haven't v* in 33 yrs, how is that possible?" I said I don't know, I've seen it
    written that people with emet to some extent can control the v* center in
    the brain. You should of seen the look on his face. I could of v* several
    times if I had wanted to, but I will do ANYTHING to fight it for as long as
    it takes. It's just this far I have won, but I know one day when something
    hits me bad enough it's going to happen.

If I think about it, I spend a HUGE amount of my valuable life worrying
    constantly about something that hasn't happened in over 30 years. What
    a waste.

omg.. i worry about it too.. i was sleeping one night.. and i felt so bad.. i thought i was going toV* so i sat up and started thinking.. don't worry.. it's been 13 years.. its not going to happen.. and it never does.. its amazing what you said about us controlling ourselves not to V*.. i want to overcome my fear though.. i have an appt. with a psychologist on the 12th of this month.. its going to be my 1st time talking to a psychologist.. but i fear that they really can't cure my phobia.. have they helped you in any way yet?

Let's see. The only times I have gotten sick (knock on wood)

1) January 22, 1993 - I don't really count this because it was so non-significant

2) Friday, January 13, 1984 or 1985 can never remember the year. Mental block I guess.

I was an emet both times - I actually had a panic attack back in '84 (I was nine years old) and now I forever associate that panicky feeling with throwing up. My emet was not as bad as it is now - so I was able to cope.

I think some people are just more sickly than others and more susceptible to catching stuff. My family is not sickly. I can count on my one hand the number of times my parents got sick. With my dad it was usually in association with a hang-over. I think my mom was an emet too, so you know she never got sick. My husband isn't real sickly either. In the 8 years we have been together, he has gotten sick twice. The last time is what rekindled my emet into full force two years ago.

ALso, I think part of the problem for some of us it that is has been so long since the last time. We are so afraid because it is an unknown. I know I don't like it, but I can't really remember what it feels like, ya know?

I think its the build up thats worst, like last time i v* about 2 months ago, i did it and felt better, its the build up i hate, like the feeling and the waiting, i hate just waiting to see if you might v*, i was glad i wasn't emet when i had that unknown thing that made me v* over 20 times in like an hour or two, but when that happend i got used to v* every few mins, so it was just like oh and some more after a while lol.
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I v*ed in November 2004 from an sv*, I had just graduated from college,
    where I would be sick quite a bit and my emet was not as bad because I
    was always drunk whenever it was happening and so not anxious about it
    as much.

Now I am as bad as I was in childhood. My streak was from third grade to
    freshman year of college, so it would have been Fall 1991-2001 or ten
    years. I am hopefully going to exceed that record in the NEXT ten years.

Most people v* to relieve nausea. Kids can't help it as much. Emets,
    though, would rather have the nausea than the v*.

(On the abbreviation: when I first came to this community I would get
    triggered by looking at the word and talking about it, now I am a little
    more at ease and dealing with it, but I still think it's courteous to
    abbreviate. Once in a while when someone will post graphic words I will
    still get uncomfortable).

The last time I did was last January. I guess I just had the stomach flu. After the first time, it didn't seem so bad, and I always try to tell myself that, but then I still get scared every time I don't feel well.

I can't remember! I haven't vomited since I was a very small child, like under 6. That or I just don't remember it .. I know i've had stomach viruses when I was little, (under 10) I just don't really remember it. I haven't vomited recently (in the last 5-7 years)
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

January 2, 1999
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

18 years ago when I was 6. I can only remember v* once before that in my life. I remember 2x's total. I have had s/v's and ones that I should have or any 'normal' person would have thrown up. The last one was about 2 years ago and the one beofre that was in Feb. 96'. The other one's I had a just felt maybe a wee nauseous and had bad d*.
    Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus.- Colossians 3:17

Aguerra, you weren't sure whether it was 1984 or 1985. January 13 was a Friday in 1984. Doug
    Last edited by gumdropper1; 12-05-2011 at 10:39 PM.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Me, well I was about 12. Now I'm 35 so thats 23 years !!!! "TOUCH WOOD"

I was emet then but not as bad. It was a Saturday afternoon. I had been asleep. I woke up went into the bathroom and did it. Don't know why. I didn't feel particually ill. Strange really. I think not doing "it" for so long probably makes is worse for me as I have forgotten a lot of what it is like and that if I did "it" I hope that I wouldn't find it that bad and be cured but I'm not willing to or nor do I want to take the chance.

I have come so close to doing it over the years but an emet body is a clever thing. Most emets can fight it. Get d* and feel really s* but "TOUCH WOOD" not do it.

My real problem is my kids doing it. It is that bad that I pack bags to leave home! Having CBT but it is CRAP.

Good luck in staying v* free for many years!!!!!!!

Karen
    There is no distance on this earth as far away as yesterday

WOW.. i'm scared i won't be able to have kids because of this!!

actually.. I was 9 or 10.. *knocks on wood* I'm18 now. I wasnot an emet at the time. I just woke up in the night feeling sucky, woke my mom up because that's what I did at that age.. and I went into the bathroom, over the toilet... and pretty much willed myself to v*. I just knew I always felt better after I did it, and I wanted to get it over with so I could feel better and go back to bed. I only ended up v* up a little bit of water. My mom said afterwards that it seemed like the only reason why I v* at all was because I willed myself to so much, because I wasn't really sick and nothing came up. And I was fine the next day. I wonder how I went from that attitude, to emet....

Mine was August 2003 *I was pregnant with Amy &amp; suffering witha sinus infection* I made myself v* to relieve the lump in the back of my nose &amp; throat, not nice but it helped..

I've had plenty of bugs since then but only the d* &amp; feverbit. I seemed to stop myself v*ing the last few times... not easy but glad I did!

Thanks Doug for the year. I was always more obsessed that it was a Friday the 13th that I forgot the year. This past January, FRiday the 13th was a VERY hard day for me!

I don't belive in the friday the 13th thing, but the time i v* the most 3 years ago, was friday the 13th lol what a lucky day i had lol.
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

i was 14, new year's eve. &amp; everytime i've done it, i can't remember it. i remember when, how, why, etc but i don't remember the actual physical process, only the n* feeling. the last time i v*, on new years when i was 14 all i remember is waking up on the bathroom floor. i know i did it, i just don't remember it. just before &amp; after.

~ bethany

\"what\'s meant to be will always find a way\"

::there is no way to peace
    eace is the way::

OK Please answer this: HOW do you all go soooo long without it? The longest I have gone was 5 years. I am superstitious about that too, like if it has been a long time then I am due. My problem is when I feel bad, I start panicking and I think when I cannot calm myself down, I sort of make it happen. I am so afraid of it that you would think I could control it but the opposite happens. How do you emets, who are deathly afraid like me, control your mind and body?? I would love to go that long and not worry that I am "due."</font>

I think it's been about 4 years for me...must have been 2002 or so. It was from a hangover. I have only V* from actually being sick a couple of times. I don't believe I have ever had an SV. Up until college I had never V* from drinking, then in the 4 years of college and the years after i did it like 4 times. ugh, what was I thinking?

Now that I can *usually* control my drinking I never get sick "knock on wood."
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

I haven't v* for over 20 years, but I have come close so many times. I have had lots of bugs in the past few years, but thankfully have managed to stop myself from v*.

I know a day will come when I won't be able to stop myself and I'm not looking forward to that.

This November it will be 20 years for me (I was 10). I have had many dry heaving episodes since, but I don't really count those.

happyteacher

My last time was about 3 years ago. I remember the time perfect but not the specific date. It was in late August, I went to a football game then walked home. I had some lasaunga (cant spell it) and then feel asleep. I woke up around 3:00 a.m. and was feeling horribly nauses. I went and got a water bottle, sipped a little then sat in the bathroom. I knew i was gonna v*...It kept trying to come up but i tried to force myself not to. And then it came. I v*ed about twice and then i cried for my mom. It was horrible.

Im pretty sure the lasunga made me sick because thats what came up. (Sorry to be so graphic!)

<font color=MAGENTA>You could\'ve told me why you had to go.
    I tried to tell myself==&gt; Just let him go.
    But I see your face ..
    It\'s everywhere I go.
    &lt;/3

</font>

<font size=\"4\">Rachel</font>

13 years in August. I was 7 years old and had a fever of 108. Suffice
    it to say, I don't remember much, aside from the constant v*ing (with
    NO nausea), and that the last thing *GRAPHIC* brought up was some
    unusually thick, green bile. I was sitting in the hospital bathroom and
    called to my mom, who just held out one of those pink bedpan/tray
    thing-gummies for me.

Though I remember every detail of that moment right down to the bitter
    taste (bile is kind of nasty), I didn't mind what was happening. Go
    figure. XD

Quote Originally Posted by andee
    OK Please answer this: HOW do you all go soooo long without it? The longest I have gone was 5 years. I am superstitious about that too, like if it has been a long time then I am due. How do you emets, who are deathly afraid like me, control your mind and body?? I would love to go that long and not worry that I am "due."

Andee, I think the reason we are emets is because we didn't puke often when we were younger. Naturally, we puke even less often as adults. We have also developed very good skills at keeping ourselves from vomiting even when we are very nauseated. Some of us even developed this ability after only one emetic instance since we came down with emetophobia. Isn't it funny how much an emet can learn in only a few minutes?

There is no such thing as being "due." Humans are not like whales, who vomit every few days to get rid of the debris they swallow. By reading this thread, you should be able to get over the idea that barfing is inevitable after so many years. Some people (not emets) do the technicolor yawn monthly! The average emet most recently vomited 12 1/2 years ago. Take strength in our collective ability to overcome it.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Doug, I read on another board a post of a person claiming that they had NEVER v*, and if I remember correctly, the person was in their 40s or 50s. Is this possible? Anyone know?

Thank you, Doug. It really helps to know that some have gone for so long because that means I can too. I think my problem is the panicking and the feeling that I have NO control over it. So you are saying that we DO have control over it? Even if we're sick with a bug or food poisoning etc?</font>