Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi all. Just wanted to ask if you guys can tell me how your emet started & how you cope with it. I'm just starting to accept that I have this phobia. I've beendenying it for years. I also have sitophobia (fear of food). It really is therapeutic to me to hear stories like mine. Thanks soooo much.

Hey Mrmmose, great name! And welcome to the site. Here we have wow 147 stories. That should do you.

http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/for...sp?TID=482&amp ;PN=1

Welcome to IES![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] I don't know how mine started. It was always there, to one degree or another.

Hey there

Like you.. i am new here.

I have had this for over 12 years now. It has ruled my life.. at one point when i was a teenager I was sooo scared to eat anything because i may v* so i just starved myself for about 2 years. At 15 years of age I weighed 60 lbs.. I was diagnosed , of course, with Anorexia. I have always tried to hide my phobia because people dont really understand it and they think that I am wierd.

I get panic attacks anytime i feel n* or if anyone v* or i hear or see or smell it. I cant ride any buses or be on a boat. I hate to fly and I have to take dramamine and xanex and listen to a mp3 or cd player, just in case anyone else v*** then i wont hear them.

I cant be a passenger in a car.. unless my husband is driving. But generally i MUST be the driver or I will drive my own car.

When the stomach flu is going around I wont eat for days until i know its all gone. I wash my hands constently and use hand sanitizer after every transaction at work. (bank teller)

I lie about my phobia alot to cover it up that I am not afriad because its really embarassing to me.

I wont take ANY medications without reading the side affects first and if n* or v* or both are in the top ten ingredients. I will REFUSE to take it even when I really need to. I am scared to be in hospitals and ER rooms. I must have anti n* pills with me at ALL times or else I will panic.

When I was younger my younger brother (10 yrs younger) would get sick alot. I would just hide out in my room.. crying.. hoping and wondering when it would be over. And my room was a across from the bathroom. That was hell for me.

Those are just SOME expamples I could go on and on and on. I too just found out this week that I am not alone. I thought i was.. i didnt even know it was a phobia. I am glad to be hear and i am glad you are too.

Welcome to the group!

feel free if you need to talk.. i will always listen. Its nice to have people that FINALLY understand!

Kristin [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Hi all

I too am new to this site and to accepting that I have a fear of v..... I don't really know how I started with it. I handle well as a kid and of course I went throught the typical teenage years of drinking and making myself sick, which never bothered me.I have a friend is has this fear and when she told me I thought she must be "mental" to have such a silly fear - well I am not laughing now. I realise that this is real, it does control your life and unfortunately my is getting worse.

I have 2 children - with both I had morning sickness - which again did not bother me. My oldest is 5.5yrs and he has been a sickly wee boy - I think from watching him v..... (and cleaning it up) has made me fear it. I went throught a stage in 2003 (for 6 months) where I got bug after bug, stress after stress which meant that I would v..... all the time. I found out that I was wheat intolerant - which explained why I always felt sick, then I had a kidney infection followed by bugs (that my son would pick up from day care). We held off having another child for 4.5yrs as I just didn't want to get the morning sickness - well I did get it and it felt worse - I did survive and have another gorgeous son but........ the fear is far by worse than it ever was.

It cut a long story short - I think about it all the time, I avoid friends, family etc that are feeling sick or complain of a sore tummy - I even panic if my oldest son tells me he has a sore tummy. It is ruling my life and I have had enough. I am trying all sorts of alternate medicine/techniques to try and "snap me out of this controlling fear" which I am hoping will happen. I haven't manage to read any other stories yet - there are a lot of posts to get through but I will try and get there - the point is just to talk about it or think about v..... (which is 24/7 these days) makes my tummy just go into knots and I just break down panicing that I will get sick or one of the kids will. I know that kids will get sick - but please not mine!

Hope to talk and meet others like me soon.

Deb

Hi Deb,welcome to IES![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] I have kids, too, and I know exactly how you feel. I have gone so far as to restrict their social interactions to avoid them catching anything. Bad, I know. I am working on it, tho.

Just wanted to thank u all for writing...it really saddens me to hear these horrible stories! However, it feels therapeutic too. I always knew something was wrong w/my eating habits & my obsession w/throwing up. If someone threw up, I would avoid them as if they had the plague! Even the mere mention of a stomachache would send me into panic mode!!!I'm so afraid that I often get panic attacks. My doctor put me on paxil & klonopin & I really didn't want to fill my body w/drugs so for a long time, I wouldn't take them. I do notice a very small difference in myself since starting meds but still am soooooooooo afraid! Like Kristen said, I dont go anywhere w/out my antinausea pills! And when I don't have them, i worry all day about getting sick! I could literally sit here & type all day about this! I hope more people will be as friendly as all of u! Thanks & keep posting!

welcome to the site
    ♥Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to sarah140 for my avatar and Fiona for my siggie
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"We can\'t help everyone. But everyone can help someone\"

Hi there,

Welcome to the both of you.

O.

Le Paroxysme de la Tranquilité.

Compulsory good manners.

HI moose and all-
    i posted my story in the stories posting-its on the left-i think its called emet stories-most by anonymous-but here it is below

ENTRY IN EMET SITE-MY STORY-8/1/06
    I have had emet since a little kid. I am now 43.
    The only real time I remember emeting [a verb I think I created] was 10 in a restaurant. I wonder if getting sick in public is what a lot of us have in common.
    Also as a kid I was a bit of a hypochondriac.
    And a worrier. I was born in the <st1:country-regi&#111;n><st1lace>US</st1lace></st1:country-regi&#111;n> during the cuban missile crisis and everyone was worried <st1:country-regi&#111;n><st1lace>russia</st1lace></st1:country-regi&#111;n> was going to strike americans so my mom said i came out worried.
    At 14 I had my first panic attack and have been dealing with panic, anxiety, agoraphobia on/off for years [sometimes worse].
    In my 20s I couldnt have anything tight around my stomach and wore overalls. I also gave up meat and started eating half as much as I didnt like being full.
    Recently I need to end dinner with a beer to relax me during digestion.
    In the last year my anxieties and emetephobia has been worse. I quit a stressful job. Whenever I get anxious, my stomach has butterflies and is tight. Then I fear I will emet. One year ago I was convinced that I was going to get sick. But it was a panic attack and I hadnt had one in so long [10plus years] I confused the symptoms. Plus I was away from home and lots of other factors.
    My goal is to be less anxious about a lot of things, emet being one. Emet is a specific goal for me right now. I plan on gradual desensitization therapy. I dont want to be so obsessed with it.
    I want to be relaxed when I burp and not worry.
    Flee

welcome to everyone

Hellllooo to everyone.

I loooove your picture mrmoose.

Dunno if people are still intersted...

Ive always been a worrier. But my emet started when I was 12. I'd started high school and was fine but then one day someone V* in the corridor...which freaked me out...but it was made worse by my teacher...I was on the way to french...jokingly overreacting and locking all the door and closing the windows.
    After that I was terrified that I might do the same. Ever since I've been terrified, mainly of me getting ill and not making it to a bathroom in time. I think thats the worst part of my emet to be honest. Being ill in public and not making it to the bathroom.

Ive been ill once since then...and I only remember once before then. Thinking about it is freaking me out...but I know the time after my emet started...I was mostly worried about getting to the bathroom and once I knew I was ok with getting there I was kinda ok.

xxx.

<font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"1\">Courage doesn’t always roar sometimes it’s the little voice at the end of the night saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow’</font></font></font>

I've been suffering with this thing for 22 years to varying degrees of severity. I got a little better in my teens and early 20s, but have gotten worse in the last 5-7 years again. My fear lies mostly with others v*, but if it were imminent for me to v*, I would panic. I just don't worry about myself all of the time. I know in the end, I could handle it if I v*, it just the anticipation that kills me.

happyteacher