Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi everyone. I am actually a little excited right now, I found something very inetersting about my brother. My brother had gallstones, has digestive disorder, lactose intolerant etc he just has had a lot of trouble but the weird thing that I just discovered... He has not vomited Since he was 7 years old and he is now 20 soon to be 21. I knew he didn't vomit much but I didn't no he hasn't in a long time. I asked him if it was a fear, like if he was scared to do it and he said no he said he just never has to. He has been through violent stomach viruses and never vomited, not once. He went for surgery when he had gallstones, he was on morphine and demorall and he did not even have nasuea. It just is some sort of a relief. And a friend of the family worked in a seniors home and there was a man 75 years old and has never vomited not once in his life, (well i would say when he was a kid, he probably did) but he had a fear of vomiting and he never did it. just thought i would share these exciting discoveries with you guys hopefully they will give you a little relief too.

I love stories like that. They give me hope. Especially that 75 year old man!!

I know my step-mum very, very rarely vomits. She went through so much with a few serious operations a few years ago and never vomitted once, said "I never vomit because I hate it so much". She and my dad went on a Scandinavian Cruise and the sea was so rough even most of the staff were seasick (even my dad was really sick and henever usually gets seasick, even when he goes out on rough seas in little fishing boats when he's deep sea fishing). My step-mumwasn't sick once. The only time I've known her get ill was when she and my dad got a really bad bout of food poisoning.

There are actually some peoplewho are unable to vomitbecause theysuffer with arare geneticdisorder called Prader Willi Syndrome. - "Vomitting is considered to be non-existent or rare in a person with PWS and is probably due to poor muscle tone. This can be a danger since vomitting is one of the body's safety mechanisms."

Vomitting isone of the body's safety mechanisms yet we fear it so much [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img] Doesn't really make sense does it? I suppose phobias rarely do though!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

But if you read every where else v* is just a secondary reaction and
    doesnt help get any toxins out if it is fp* or a sv* so it is not
    necessary at all.
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

So which is it? Is vomiting necessary to get rid of toxins or is it unnecessary as it does nothing to do this?

I guess that I see this point written about both ways on here, and I am a big fan of accuracy. Can this be both ways? In some cases, it gets rid of the toxins, like if someone has overingested alcohol? In others, it doesn't?

I don't know. It bothers me when I see conflicting information on here because I know it's just going to cause confusion.

For food poisoning, if the offensive food is still in the stomach, it IS beneficial to vomit, and save the rest of your digestive system from having to deal with it in large amounts. Some will still make it through, but not in the amounts that if would if the entirety of thefood is still in there.

This is true with food poisoning that has a rapid onset (ie- the food hasn't been completely digested, and you feel sick soon after eating)- it's it's one of those types that occur days after eating the infected food, itspretty useless.

That is why vomitting is one of the first signs of many types of food poisoning- not only to tell us that we ate something bad, but to get the bad stuff out of there before it can do more damage.

Got this while doing some random web-searching awhile ago:

(from http://www.schoolscience.co.uk/content/4/biology/abpi/digest ion/digest7.html)

<TABLE cellSpacing=3><T>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD class=subhist width=451>Vomitting
    </TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD class=class vAlign=top align=left width=451>
    Description
    Sometimes food is eaten that contains food-poisoning organisms or causes irritation to the stomach. If this happens, the best course of action is to remove it from the stomach by vomitting. The vomit control centre stimulates the the diaphragm and muscles in the abdomen to contract and push the stomach contents back out through the mouth.

The medical term for vomitting is emesis. There are many other slang terms for 'being sick' or 'throwing up'.

</TD></TR>
    <TR>

Causes
    Vomitting is desirable if the food in the stomach is likely to cause food poisoning or damage the lining of the digestive system. In these cases it is better that the stomach contents are prevented from passing down into the small intestines.

Sometimes the cause is not due to bad food. For example, motion sickness, noxious smells and some cancer therapies may also cause vomitting. In circumstances like these, it is beneficial to give a medicine to stop the vomitting.

Bulimia nervosa is an eating disorder were the sufferer makes themselves sick after eating a meal so that they do not put on weight. This causes damage to the body in many ways. Stomach acids eat away at the teeth and damage the oesophagus in addition to the loss of weight due to a lack of nutrition.

</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    Treatments
    Anti-emetic medicines can be given to stop a person vomitting when the cause is not due to food poisoning. They effect the region of the brain that controls vomitting and inhibits its action. Many motion sickness remedies work in this way and are taken a short time before the start of the journey.

Bulimia nervosa may have many causes and often relates to the person's psychological state of mind. A range of treatments and counselling may be required to treat the disorder.</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

As for alcohol- you're damned straight that it's in your best interest to vomit after drinking too much (and note: you and your body may have conflicting ideals as to what constitutes "too much" alcohol). Taking an antiemetic, or using other ways to prevent yourself from being sick after injesting too much alcohol is a really good way to kill yourself. And believe me, it's a lot less

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justan OTquestion - is it British to spell vomiting with two t's? or is it justa common spelling mistake???