Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

What coping strategies, or what are some of the things that you do, when your children are sick?

I see there are a few questions relating to children here, but I am interested to hear what happens to some of you when your kid(s) are sick.

I find the nights a lot harder, as I believe my phobia started one night, and so if before bed my daughter complains of not feeling well, generally I will either put her on my side of the bed with my husband or leave her in her bed, but I will sleep downstairs...just to distance myself!!!

I was fine until she was about 5 or 6 and I look back and feel pleased that I coped okay in her early years at least..but now (she is 9)it's sooo difficult.!! She also ,of course, really wants me when she is unwell and it is very tough!! I can be there, but I don't enjoy it!

If I wake with a fright to her in the night, I often have to take an anti nauseant pill as I feel so terrible! If I have to handle my own feelings of nausea my husband will tell my daughter ..Mummy has got what you have got!!

The other horrible thing is she has started stating that she doesn't ever want to be sick!! It is slowly becoming a fear of hers..well I see it! I have tried very hard to keep this from her!

My kids are real troopers! They know that I am terrified of v*. I have been totally honest about it. They even make fun of me sometimes. It has not affected either one of them. They don't like to v* but it is no big deal to them. Even though I am afraid of it I insist on being the one to take care of them because I am afraid my husband won't be as sanitary and clean up aswell as I do. My kids have their buckets and *knock on wood* are very good at using them. I use lots of clorox cleanup and wash my hands real well. By the way my kids are 6 and 9.

I am very proud of you!!! Well done!!

Thanks! I think it gets a little easier as they get older. It just stinks cause when they are younger you can kinda control the germs they are exposed to but when they are in school all day it is kinda hard.

i dont have kids yet but when i do i will tell them because i think
    they should know. But when you clean up...use bleach its the only thing
    that will kill the sv* germs
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't have kids but I have a brother who's 7. Once I said to him that
    I am afraid to be close to him because I might also get sick (not
    anything with vomitting, just a throat and temperature). As I said
    that, he started purposely touching me so I am glad I have never
    mentioned I have this phobia...
    You only live once

I have two kids and night time is the worst for me. If they haven't asked for supper, i think something is wrong and then i'm on edge for the rest of the night. Even when they seem fine, I never sleep soundly, as I live in fear of hearing footsteps approaching my door! Saying that, when they are ill, I can deal with it without too much difficulty, although I'm scrupulous on the hygiene front! For me, it's the wondering if it's going to happen, the anticipation, which scares me most. And it's worse at night. Earlier in the year both my kids were v* through the day, but because it wasn't the middle of the night, it wasn't a problem for me. At night, everything changes - weird!

Suze I am the same way. It is much easier to deal with during the day.

Thanks so much for your comments..really appreciate them!

My child is still a baby but I worry about how I'll handle it when she's a big kid.I guess I'll do like Denise Richards said, wear a mask and rubber gloves to deal with v*. Luckily my husband does not have this phobia and he has promised to help with v* in the future in exchange for me doing #2 diapers now.
    life is too serious to be taken seriously

Kenni - that's the deal my hubby and I came up with! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Hi everyone, It is really HARD to deal with sick kids, esp. when they can't totally tell you so it is unpredictable. I am still very nervous when they are sick, and the biggest help for me is my hubby (thank God). He is very good with that and the cleanliness too. But it is an awful dread at night. Just last night my son (4) came down the stairs crying and I freaked......but he only had a bloody nose. I say "only" because I can handle that, even though there was a lot of blood (sorry). A therapist once told me not to feel guilty because that is why there are 2 parents.....take care</font>

Quote Originally Posted by suze
    I have two kids and night time is the worst for me. If they haven't asked for supper, i think something is wrong and then i'm on edge for the rest of the night. Even when they seem fine, I never sleep soundly, as I live in fear of hearing footsteps approaching my door! Saying that, when they are ill, I can deal with it without too much difficulty, although I'm scrupulous on the hygiene front! For me, it's the wondering if it's going to happen, the anticipation, which scares me most. And it's worse at night. Earlier in the year both my kids were v* through the day, but because it wasn't the middle of the night, it wasn't a problem for me. At night, everything changes - weird!

It is the SAME way for me! Always worse at night..I think because I fear waking up to V* in the middle of the night!

My daughter is 11 months now, and over the summer she got a SB and I didn't know it until morning when there was V* in her crib, I felt so bad, but relived at the same time, she only ate baby food then though, so it was a lot easier..I am scared for her getting older and V*ing!

It was a night when I was about 7 that my father was sick and I was so frightened! It's a long story but yeah it has made the nights worse!

You are right about the 2 parent thing and yes I thank God for my husband! But it is still hard with my daughter wanting me.

Thanks so much for your input!! (and support).