Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: just wondering

So i have seen alot of topics lately when people have seen someone v* in public. I have too seen my share of people v* in public places..

and i was thinking.. does everyone react..like even non emets like we do when we see people v* in public and i think that may be why its so petrifying when we feel s* or n* when we are away from home because of the sheer terror and horrorfying feeling we get when we see someone v* in public.

So i think to myself if i ever were to heaven forbid v* in publicthat they would feel the same way? and maybe that is way i NEED to be at home when i feel n*? cuz its just disgusting..?

i dunno it was just something i was pondering and i dont even know if it makes sense.. lol
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

Well, let me share two things with you that would prove that some non-emets act like nothing happened:

One time we were at the mall, and right where the entrance was to the mall just outside of Kohl's (coincidence??), someone v* a BUNCH on the floor! We saw one couple, puching a stroller, walk very close to it, and the stroller wheels went through it!!!!! They just looked down, and kept on walking! I saw them in the parking lot after that, and they still had the stroller. I would have abandoned the stroller and got a new one!! Yuck.

Another time, a few months ago, I was in a tire shop, and this kid started to v* into his hands, and while walking outside, it was spilling out of his hands onto the floor. Well, people were walking in and out of the shop, looking down, seeing the piles, and either stepping THROUGH it, or casually walking around it! Of course the spaz that I am, went home and showered because I was so grossed out! One lady even sat on the chair right in front of it!! UGH!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I totally agree with you Kristin- I think that how a person reacts to other being sick in public is in direct correlation to their fear of themselves being sick in public.

For instance, if someone reacts to a stranger being ill in public with "how DARE they even BE in public if they felt sick, WHY didn't they make it to the bathroom, etc"- in other words, being very accusatory, and making assumptions about the person, their lifestyle, and what they are feeling- they will likely fear being sick in public more themselves. If you view people being sick in public as horrible, them being at fault, etc- it is only logical to assume that you wouldn't want to direct these thoughts on yourself if it happened to you. Or to have others think of you in this negative way if they saw you being ill.

If my boyfriend sees someone in in public, he doesn't bat an eye. It's a complete non-issue to him....of course he is a nurse, so after dealing with it so often (amongst other nastiness) would likely make it less of a big deal. If I see someonevomit in public, I get an immediate physiological reaction- I feel nauseous, my heart rate increases, I start to shake, etc. I absolutely hate it. BUT- I make sure to stop my mind from "going there" in terms of blaming the person. No one WANTS to be sick in public, and I know for myself that how you feel when you leave the house isn't necessarily indicative of how you will feel an hour or two later. That, and why the person is in public isn't any of my business, as I sure a hell wouldn't want complete strangers telling me when I should and shouldn't leave the house.

So- I guess my answer would be that I hate it, it disgusts me and it's hard for me to regain my composure....but it's the act that grosses me out, not the person. I also wouldn't say that I fear vomitting in public- I will do everything I can to avoid it, and outside of motionsickness, hasn't happened for a LONG time....but it's not a thought that necessarily consumes me.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.