Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hairdresser's? I have an appointment on Thurs. and I always feel so "trapped". Any suggestions on how I can feel less anxious? I worry that if I feel like I'm going to throw up I'll have nowhere to go! [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] This phobia makes me so mad!
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

I always feel like that at the haidressers but when they wash my hair they do this head massage thing which nearly makes me fall asleep so im much more relaxed! Try and think of it as exciting, i love getting pampered and having a new look!

*katy*
    I have removed my myspace address because of our little \"invasion\" but if you want to add me just send a pm
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Not necessarily at the hairdresser's specfically, but I generally feel nervous and start worrying I'll v* anywhere that I'm "trapped" like you said.

Yeah I have had this happened before...but I love my hairdresser, she
    is awesome, so I try to relax, its just so full of people and what not.
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I feel the SAME way! I usually chew on some mints!

Wow, I'm surprised anyone else feels this way! Yeah, I'll just pop some gum and try not to flip out.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

I've never been nervous at the hairdressers. Although I know that I DO feel more relaxed at someplace high end, like Gene Juarez, rather then...sat... Hair Masters....

Quote Originally Posted by new.slang
    Hairdresser's? I have an appointment on Thurs. and I always feel so "trapped". Any suggestions on how I can feel less anxious? I worry that if I feel like I'm going to throw up I'll have nowhere to go! [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] This phobia makes me so mad!

OMG!!!! Yes, I thought I was the only one.!! This topic is actually why I started to research my problem and end up here.I was like this2 weeks ago when I got my highlights touched up. I had rushed todriveover to my stylist right after work ( I had lastminute stuff to take care of at work and I just didn't want to be late for him) andwas feeling full and burping up a tuna salad sandwich I had for lunchAND was feeling nervous at getting my hair done ( which is crazy since I have had my stylist take care of me for years now!!). It was hot and crowded in the salon, I felt like all the girls were staring at me and I was starting to shake and my nose gets red when I feel anxiety and n*. My stylist could see I was nervous and started talking to me and saying that he could sense I was stressed or tense. I was feeling so shaky and wanted to tell him to just stop and I would reschedule, but I was feeling like " no, I will get through this" I was looking all around wondering if I need to V* where do I do it?! My mind was racing and it was all just nerves. My stylist just asked me suddenly' Do you talk to God?" We then started talking about it and I felt relaxed and I knew he was trying to take my mind off of my anxiety ( he doesn't even know about my anxiety issues but that is to show how he could feel my vibes). I was hyperventilating a bit and yawning a lot and grabbed 3 ginger candies to eat. It took a while for them to kick in but I felt better. I was breathing normally, able to laugh at his jokes and I felt much more calm. It was a NIGHTMARE though, so I would say this: Don't eat a heavy meal and rush to your appt. Eat very light or nothing at all,have bottled water with you to sip, get some ginger candies...you won't v*. Trust me. It's just our nerves making us feel like we will. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]I don't know about you but my salon appts are about 3-4 hours since I go to him once a month for color work. That is why I dread going!!

Thanks so much, ginger_saves. I've been scouting around for ginger candy, however, I live in rural Ohio and I haven't seen anything like it. Ah, the website is the best. My mom would just look at me as if I were speaking a foriegn language if I told her this.

your color appointments take 3-4 HOURS?! [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]geez... when I get my hair colored it takes like.... and hour at the most.... and then maybe a little over two, if I'm getting my hair cut as well

I don't get worried that i may need to v* at the hairdressers that often, however i do dread going in case the hairdresserhas been ill as they stand so close while cutting hair.
    kath x

eww... I've had a hairdresser who was ill cut my hair before. a long time ago though, I was young. It was weird. well, she wasn't that ill, not like, sv* ill, she just had a cold, but it was gross, like she was blowing her nose and everything. but she was nice about it and washed her hands each time after she blew her nose. she was soo good though, even though she was sick, she still did a great job on my hair [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by new.slang
    Thanks so much, ginger_saves. I've been scouting around for ginger candy, however, I live in rural Ohio and I haven't seen anything like it. Ah, the website is the best. My mom would just look at me as if I were speaking a foriegn language if I told her this.

Yes, I know what you mean. I just started eating them about 3 years ago off and on with this problem. I never even heard about them before then, and now I have other friends who get n* sometimes but they don't have this horrible phobia like me. Definitely try searching online for websites that sell it. I know there is a popular one that I buy ata storethat they sell online. I like the Asian ginger candies more than the ones made here in the U.S. though. They are much more strong and make my N* feeling decrease quite dramatically. I will send you the link as soon as I find it. I'm glad to help. [img]smileys/smilies_46.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by xxsophiaxx
    your color appointments take 3-4 HOURS?! [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]geez... when I get my hair colored it takes like.... and hour at the most.... and then maybe a little over two, if I'm getting my hair cut as well

(lol) sorry, well, you're right, mine include color and style. The color alone would only be an hour to take , wash , etc...but he does have to blow dry my thick curls straight as well, hence the 3 hours.

You guys are the best. Thanks for the replies- it's just nice to know I'm not alone here! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

OMG! I need to get my hair colored SO BAD but the last month has been so bad for me....gettin my hair colored is like my "reward" to myself for not smoking but I am so afraid i will be sick and "trapped" when I go to do it!! ACK!! I'm glad i'm not the only one! LOL [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]
    I CAN get through this! ♥Melanie♥

My first nervous moment is am i gonna get sick, I always make sure I know where the toilets are and where the exit is (I recently went to a new salon for the first time in years and was completely panicked but the haircut was like wow..........

so Im going back again!!!)

The second nervous moment is what will they do to my hair, will i like it etc, that usually outweighs theill panic as whilst im "in the chair" im too pre occupied with what they are doing to my hair to feel ill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope the appointment goes well.

Laney xxx

Quote Originally Posted by ginger_saves

Quote Originally Posted by xxsophiaxx

(lol) sorry, well, you're right, mine include color and style. The color alone would only be an hour to take , wash , etc...but he does have to blow dry my thick curls straight as well, hence the 3 hours.

ohhh I see now my hair's straight, so I'm guessing this could definitely cut some time off it.

you could always excuse yourself! I know what you mean though. My sister is a hairdresses and usually does my hair for me. And she is moving out of state soon, and i really dont want to have to go to a salon to get it done b.c. I know id be thinking the whole time "what if I feel sick and V*" I'll be trapped.
    *Mandi*

OMG, I thougfht I was the only one! I am always jittery at the hairdresser's!

I try to read a magazine, chew some minty gum, whatever to keep my mind busy.

but for any1 who feels nervous at the hairdressers -I know, easier said than done, but there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT! you WILL NOT V* at the hairdressers, just take mint gum in with you, and you'll be FINE. just ask yourself, why are you worried about v*ing at the hairdressers? If you've managed to stay v* free for all these years and out of all these other public places... then why do you think it will all of a sudden happen?

this is soooo funny. iAM a hairdresser and i am always afraid of someone getting sick at my shop!
    part of the cure is wanting to be cured