Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Do we really need to post every SV that starts going round? It seems to me we're about as hygenic as we could be and emets are a hell of a lot better at that stuff than most people. The way I see it, hearing about SV's only make us nervous and feel like we shouldn't leave the house or eat anything. Ignorance may be bliss in this case when all we can do is worry. SV's are going rond the world all the time, yo're no less likely to catch the small number you know about and all you can do is carry on practicing good hygiene and think good thoughts. Just my opinion...

I kinda agree. This year has been very hard on me so far because of what I have been reading about on here. If I wasn't reading about it on here I would nothave heard about anything. Heck I didn't even hear about outbreaks in California till I read it on here this morning. It hasn't been on the news here or anything. But I sure can come on here and find it out. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

I personally don't like hearing about it either. It makes me feel like coming to this site will make my emet worse rather than better.

What I found interesting was that Alvin's FAQ (when it was up) was deeply questioned by a lot of people (this isn't a dig at anyone btw) and yet newspaper articles are believed like they are only true and full of facts.

I myself follow the X-Files rule when it comes to the internet - Trust No One [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I also don't like reading about sv*s all the time. It definitely has made me more anxious.

Did you read the USA Today article linked from another thread? It had a lot of good ideas.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

reading about sv* sometimes puts me in a state of panic and makes me more anxious than i was when i first came to the site. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I must say that the amount of talk is one of the reasons that I left for a long period of time. My anxiety got too much. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. We almost psyche each other out, even though it is completely unintentional.

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

The articles usually do not bother me but the one posted recently was not a good idea to post here.

Just my opinion though!

Oh...I know that it is OUR choice to read the articles but since we are emets its hard not to read it!Edited by: madisonsmom

Oh...I also think they are being reported more now than before. The cruise ships really brought noroviruses to the media spotlight so I personally believe what Sage says that they are not anymore prevalant than they usually are despite what the media says...they have always been there but are just more recognized.

Did that make sense?[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Do we really need to post every SV that starts going round? It seems to me we're about as hygenic as we could be and emets are a hell of a lot better at that stuff than most people. The way I see it, hearing about SV's only make us nervous and feel like we shouldn't leave the house or eat anything.

This is why I left the group for a little bit. Everyday someone thinks they have it or knows someone that has it and half of these illnesses could be food poisoning! Sometimes it ruins my day reading about it everyday, and 9 out of 10 times the person who is so worried they have it turns out to be OK. Thats all well and good and I understand we are here to support one another but it kind of bothers me to read many posts dealing with sv*everyday in here. I'm not trying to be mean but I fully understand what the person who started this thread means. Kim

I think its okay to post about if you are worried if you yourself have a stomach virus, because thats basically the most dreaded thing if you are an emet. I can understand needing to post to someone who will understand how how it feels to be so scared. And I imagine there are so many members to this forum that there are bound to be a few of those kinds of posts every day.

That, said, I really don't have an opinion on the articles that are posted. I always imagine the outbreaks center around schools and hospitals more, and since I am never in either of those places I try to reassure myself that those articles don't really apply to me.

Instead of thinking of the outbreak that may be going around near you, try thinking of how many people you know who v* very rarely. I don't remember the last time the closest 10 people to me (family and friends I hang out with several times a week) v*ed from something that was contagious. And if I do hear a friend of a friend was sick, I always imagine it was somewhere they ate and even they are never sure why. People will say that have a virus just to get out of going to work! There are SO many reasons why people v* that don't have to do with an illness that is contagious.

I just also wanted to add I think it would be good if we all made a little bit more effort to post about positive things and ways of dealing with this phobia and getting better even if its a baby step at a time. I have tried recently to post reassuring things and posts to strategize ways to make ourselves feel better, but they didn't seem to get much action [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]