Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Well last night was my first appt. with my therapist. I really liked her. She said my phobia is pretty severe. She thinks I might need meds but I don't want to take any!!! This has been the worst year of my phobia yet and I have had it my whole life!! I really think that it is worse this year because of the stuff I have read on here (don't get me wrong I love it here) but I don't hear anything about sv* and I come on here and they are everywhere! It freaks me out. Anyway this wasn't about that. Just wanted you all to that I went and I am positive about it!!!! I sure hope it works!! ~Brandi~

Hi calibmom! I am so happy you found a therapist you like. I am searching for one still. It seems hard! Anyway, why are you not open to meds? I don't want to be apill pusher here, but a few weeks ago, I was not able to step foot on my front porch or go to the store from the anxiety/emet getting so bad. I am back on Paxil again ( for almost 3 weeks now) and I have been able to function again-I can eat in public, go to malls and go grocery shopping. My emet is not an obsession as it was and I am just able tofocus onother things and try to live a normal life day by day-baby steps.I am on a low dosage and cutting the pills in half until I build it up. I think the fact that you have a therapist and can possibly go on meds will work out tremendously.
    -Bridgette

I am having a hard time functioning right now. I am not against meds I am just afraid of how they will make me feel. My mom and my husband are both on paxil.

I don't think I need a therapist now. I don't really think I need treatment, as of right now, I'm fine where I am w/ emet. I think it's already helpful enough that I get to talk to you guys. Ever since I started coming on here, my emet levels have improved greatly

Hiya! That's great thatyou've found a good therapist! Just this last fall I started going to aphycologist, and have been working on anxiety management techniques. I really didn't want to take meds, and working really hard on practicing these things has helped me SOOOOO much! The sv* is going around my house andfor the first time since I started these exercises, I haven't had a panic attack yet!! So maybe, if you can try out a daily relaxation and breathing exercise (which they have many great self-help books on), I think it would most likely atleast help you out a little bit, depending on how much you want to do yourself. Hope this encourages you, even though I'm really bad at wording things! Have a great day!

That's really brave of you to go to a therapist!I hope you can work something outand start feeling better.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

i went to a therapist when i was 6 until i was about 17... my emets has been on hold for a few years, but now it's really come back with a vengeance, and now i'm going back to my therapist on tuesday and i absolutely can't wait... it's so nice to be able to just sit there and pour your heart out to someone who will then try his/her best to help you... i'm on zoloft and sometimes after a few years, your meds need to be adjusted, so i'm willing to try that too!

Thats really great for you! I was breaking down a few days ago and my
    mom finally decided to call and take me to the doctor so we can get
    therapy started. My best friend has one who she really likes so I'm
    probably going to give her a try. Lets all hope we can beat this!
    ~viva~

Thanks to you all! I am glad that you guys are trying it too!! It did feel real good to pourall my problems out to her. I actually felt lighter when I left.