Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Did anyone else read about a woman in kansas who did'nt leave her boyfriend's bathroom for two years?

She actually became stuck to the toilet seat from sitting so long and the seat had to be removed with her to the hospital. I know it sounds laughable but that is VERY,VERY SEVERE agoraphobia,I couldn't help but feel sorry for her.

I really hope she gets the kind of help she needs.

Wait, she was literally stuck, or was she afraid to leave the bathroom?

I think it started out as afraid to leave the bathroom, but eventually as it stated in the paper "it appeared that the 35 year old woman's skin had grown around the seat." It had to be removed at the hospital. I don't understand why it took her boyfriend 2 years to contact authorities. Hello??? I would be concerned after 2 days, heck 2 hours.

From what I read she was clothed but her sweatpants were pulled down and her skin actually grew around the toilet seat (I guess she had been sitting that long). Her legs were atrophied and the toilet seat had to be removed from the toilet so it could be surgically removed at the hospital.

I felt really bad for that woman too [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

My mom was online this morning and she found that and read it to me. She didn't believe it. I believed it though. And why would her boyfriend wait 2 years to get her help?!

Didn't her boyfriend need to use the toilet? How'd she bathe, eat, ect...? Wow...
    Facebook: Kayla Rose Matheney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Are we sure it's for real? I went to look it up and everything I came up with was blocked at work (I am a teacher.). Has anyone checked this out at snopes.com? That, of course, is also blocked at my work. It soundsa little bit like an urban legend to me.
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

i saw it on MSN.com

pretty sad

aw yeah i saw this too on wierd news, poor woman her skin actually grew round the seat. real sad

****** PROBLEMS CANNOT BE SOLVED AT THE SAME LEVEL OF AWARENESS THAT CREATED THEM...... Albert Einstein

I saw that too! I cannot see how it's possible though. She had to bath...somehow. Poor lady, I hope she's getting proper treatment.</span></font></span>
    ~♥Little1♥~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That would get boring after awhile, and it would probably hurt to sit that long.

Wow! That's unbelievable!

Friend me on Facebook

How terribly sad, I can't understand why NO one tried to call authorities before TWO years had passed. Unreal, I hope she's okay.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

that is terrible here is the link guys for those who dont have it:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23618592/

What's really sad is that the general public probably reads this and laughs because they have no concept of what phobias do to someone.

Whether we experience emetophobia, agoraphobia, or arachnaphobia, theirrational fears and panic attacks are still horrible. I never would have understood this woman prior to becoming emeta few years ago.

Friend me on Facebook

My boyfriend called me on his way to work this morning to tell me about this. He said "Well, I guess your agoraphobia isn't as bad as I thought". I feel really terrible for her and I hope she gets the serious help that she needs.

Oh no...that's so sad. I hope she will be ok...phobias do such nasty things to people! That made me so thankful that my emet does not affect me to that degree.

That is insane! i cannot imagine that...

Does that mean she ate all of her meals on the toilet?

... I guess it would be easy to go pee. And you'd never have to hurry to the bathroom...

Although you probably can't work if this happens to you (maybe from home or something?)

I live in Kansas and its real....saw it on the local news. So true that we can feel more sorry for her then a lot of people because we understand what phobias can do to some people. Its weird. We emets can't IMAGINE that happening to us like non-emets can't imagine going into complete meltdown if they were ready to v*. Its very sad, but she is in fair condition the news said.

wow it sounds like something from Nip/Tuck..
    You only live once

Follow up in paper today said that her boyfriend may be charged with neglect.

Quote Originally Posted by pemommie
    Follow up in paper today said that her boyfriend may be charged with neglect.

And he should be.

Friend me on Facebook

He claimed she was afraid to leave the bathroom from her childhood trauma of beatings. Not sure if that makes sense, but he bought her food and things and claimed he would ask if she was ready to leave the bathroom, and she would say, "Maybe tomorrow."
    Somewhere out there things make sense..someone knows where it is and guards the secret...

Wow - how unbelievable and horrible. Not that I don't believe it - I do. It's almost the same as those 800-lb people or whatever. They ALWAYS have "caregivers" who enable them. It goes to show you what can happen when love becomes codependence - it turns to utter cruelty. This "boyfriend" probably thought he was caring for her - he couldn't differentiate from her obviously. And yet he was helping her avoid, which in turn made her phobia worse.

I hope that everyone (even me) can learn from this ...that whatever we do, we just can't give in to avoidance. We could end up stuck on a toilet seat for years!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

That is awful, that poor woman!!

I didn't know she had a phobia of leaving, i thought she was just some f***ed up lady. honestly, this is horrible, but i did laugh, because lets say even if you did have the phobia and fear of seeing your family... you don't have to sit on a toilet, you could at least chill in the tub. idk, that really sucks though, but i just keep imagining the most white trash people living in the worst trailer, "honey... ya comin out today?"
    "GO away! i'll come out when i'm damn ready" like... missing teeth, and straw hats...