Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have had thinner stools since December, and they are getting thinner. I saw a gastroenterologist, and he suggested a colonoscopy. I can't bare the thought of that! [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img] I had an upper endoscopy years ago, but my phobia wasn't nearly as bad as it was then. Has anyone had a colonosocpy? Does anyone else with IBS have really thin stools?Edited by: Girlygirl1980s

both my parents have had colonoscopies, and neither one had a
    problem with them n*-wise, they just said it was uncomfortable to use a
    laxative. if you're worried about feeling n* maybe because of the
    anesthesia, request an anti-emetic. i'd definitely recommend the
    colonoscopy as it's better to be safe than sorry. sometimes my stools
    are very thin, usually when they're a bit softer (sorry if that's TMI),
    which makes sense. hope you're feeling better!

I had a colonoscopy about a year ago and, like you, was VERY nervous about it. I told the Dr. that I was extremely emetophobic (had to explain what that was!) and he told me that he didn't think there would be any n* with the process but he would give me an antiemetic just to 'be safe'. I was very tired after the procedure (probably from the antiemetic) but not n*. My hubby just had one a month ago and felt fine until he drank a whole glass of Coke in recovery. He did v*, but it was definetely from the Coke (should have had Sprite or water and sipped it) and he has a very weak stomach and would rather v* than feel sick (yes, I married this man).
    Just tell the doctor about your concerns and ask for an antiemetic prior to the procedure being done. You need to have it done to be sure there's nothing going on there.
    Good luck.

I had one as a child. I had to have an enema which wasn't very nice at all but I didn't v*. Think you should be ok.

Lots of people I know have colonoscopies. They're fine - you're not under general anesthesia or anything, just tranquilized. Some of the prep involves drinking a laxative in a powder form mixed with water, but some drs. have you drink like gallons of some liquid. Ask for the former!
    It will be fine. Nobody gets sick from it or anything.
    Take care.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I could just add---drink the stuff slowly. It doesn't taste too great, but it is much easier to just sip it. Also, I found that they give you way more than what you need. So once you are totally empty (or going water!) then you are all set. The procedure is fine, and the sedative I had was an anti-n* anyway. Good luck.

Both my parents have had one. Both never v*****d or anything. It is a rather simple exam, but the drugs they give you may leave you very tiered.Edited by: teh folder

My Mom has them every few years and I know other people who have had them and know of NO ONE who has even felt n from it. Apparently the "cleaning out" isn't fun but doesn't make you n or v. Also as has been said ask for anti emetics, most doctors are pretty understanding. Its best to be safe and have the colonoscopy done.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin