Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi guys,

So ive been thinking a lot the last few days, and doing a lot of worrying about those of you who are really really suffering at the hands of this phobia. I know there are a lot of us on here who are a lot stronger than others at the moment, and I always want to try and help. Ive noticed that a lot of you also seem to want to help the ones that are struggling too.
    We have all been there, and remember what it was like to be at our lowest and most frightened, and I for one hate the thought of anyone going through it alone.

So I thought of maybe starting a buddying system for anyone who is interested. Its probably been done already, but Ive only been on here a few months and there are a lot of new members and just thought it was a great idea. We all seem to get so much help and support and comfort from this site, and its just taking it a step further. This site has definately helped me feel stronger and made me feel accepted, and I woud like to give something back.
    People could pair up, or even get in groups according to where they live or age, and pair up stronger 'emets' with the weaker ones that may need some extra support. Then it could just be emails, or phone calls, or even meet ups for some face to face support.

So I think it would be really great if anyone that is up for it and thinks it would be a good idea, to say if they would like to be part of it and just say a bit about how bad or how controlled their emet is so that we can make good 'buddies'.

I hate the idea of anyone suffering alone surrounded by people who dont understand (like I did for years and years) and now that I have got to a stronger point with my 'emet' I would like to turn something negative in to something positive.

So what do you all think?? Anyone interested in being a buddy???

((((hugs)))) xxx

Oh yea, and if you think this is a terrible idea and can think of any reasons why, then please say....cos im not an expert at all and just came up with this outta the blue!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

That sounds like a neat idea! I can't speak for any majority as I'm painfully new to this site, but I know it'd be nice to speak to people on a less formal basis, and have more personal contact.

I seem to always be online late night/early morning, Eastern US time-- and nooooobody's around! Having someone a bit more reachable during a crisis would be a huge asset (especially with the tummy bug going around my workplace at the moment :-/).
    Normalcy is merely indicative of a lack of courage.

Thats excellent, thanks for the supprt hun, and welcome!!
    Im on at wierd times too as Im a bit of an insomniac!! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] lol.
    I know what you mean about coming on at wierd times too when noone is about, thats why I thought this could be a good idea cos then noone ever has to come on here in a crisis and post a message and wait an eternity for a response.

Hope youre doing ok lyntess?? xxx

Thanks for the welcome! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Hehe, it doesn't help that my husband is English so my 3am is his 8am. Goooood MORNING, right? [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] And yes, it'd be reeeally nice to be able to IM somebody or email and be relatively sure of a fairly quick response, should an "emergency" arise.

Of course, I use that term loosely... purely because there's only SO MUCH support an online community can give you during a "crisis". Even over the phone. Still, sometimes just knowing you're not alone in being utterly stupid about certain things ("OMG SOMEONE JUST RAN INTO THE BATHROOM, WHAT IF THEY'RE.....") helps immensely. I know that just finding this site, and realizing there were people who reacted like I do to v*, was amazingly helpful.

I'm doing ducky, thanks a bunch! And yourself?

i think that sounds like a great idea!, i made a really good friend on here bout 2 and a half years ago now, (she does not often come on here any more as she has had some treatment and is alot better ) We have kept in touch on the phone and on msn regually over those 2 yrs, and tomorrow she is flying down from scotland to where i am (in leicester, england) to stay with me for a week! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] i am so excited, and so happy i have made such a great friend on here who knows exactly how i feel.
    i am even having my first counceling session on the second day she is here, and she is coming with me [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    i wil ahve to put some pictures up of the week! am so excited! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I think is sounds like a brilliant idea. My emet is worse during the evening and wiuld love to have someone just to chat to and help mout and they can also help me when i am struggling.

It would be great to make a really really good friend/friends on here as we all really need someone in our lives that gets what we are going through.

Rhi....i hope you and your friend have a great week together. Sounds like it is gonna be alot of fun. And you can learn some things from her if she is getting over this.

Kerri x x x

i agree. i think its a great idea.

ooh i love this idea!! let's do it!!

I am all for it! I think I am one of the "stronger" emets, and would love to be able to help anyone I can! I have been on this site for over 7 years and have met in person quite a few people that I have met on this site. Not sure how the logistics would work, but I am all for trying!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Maybe all of us who are feeling stronger at dealing with our phobia and are willing to help should list some contact details and where they're from? So people can know who to talk to, and when they're likely to be around etc.

I'll start -

Email: [email protected]

I'm from the UK. And I stay up late

I'm from Philadelphia, PA. Email is [email protected]

I'm in Calgary, Canada. Email: [email protected]

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I like that idea and I would like to be a buddy, preferably with someone who has already recovered who can help me with this. If anybody can I would really appreciate it.

Okay. I am Mary, and I live halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee.
    Edited by: harmonygirl72

I'd place myself as moderate. I dont consider myself severe but I do have my idiosynchrosies w/ this phobia. I'd be game to do the buddying, if you want my email etc pm me.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Im in uk email :[email protected]

The urge to live is stronger than the urge to give up.

my name is Kerri and i am in the UK

My email is [email protected] and that is also my msn messenger i.d

I am always on msn so if you wanna add me go ahead and then hopefully we can help each other out.

Kerri x x x

i'm [email protected] and I am in the uk. that is also my msn messenger i.d. feel free to add me.

I can be reached at [email protected], and my AIM, MSN and yahoo are in my profile as well. :-)

I would love a buddy. I'm pretty good with my emet but I have the odd "attack". PM me for my msn.
    ________
    Corolla E100
    Last edited by emetmama; 03-11-2011 at 01:01 PM.

This is a great idea! Like Rhi, I have met one of my best friends on this site and love him to death! Haha. He lives three time zones away, and sometimes our schedules (especially his work one) don't always match up, but he is someone that I can usually IM if I feel yucky.

If anyone wants, I would like to be a "stronger/support" buddy. Besides contact info, I kinda feel like I'd like to say some stuff about myself too
    I'm 18 years old, live in eastern US (Michigan), and found this forum last February. When I found the forums I decided to get help too, and even though it's only been a few months, I rarely get panic attacks anymore because I'm able to really use the relaxation techniques that I was taught (and I would probably try to get my buddy to start using too ^_^).
    My contact stuff is in my profile

I'm on Vancouver Island. PM me if you want my email address!

thats a great idea!! my email is [email protected] oh and im in
    central time zone
    id love a buddy!!!!!
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    target=\"_blank\">

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

</a>

Awsome awsome idea... I'd love a buddy, or be a buddy.MY email: [email protected].I'm on aim,and google chat,and myspace as well. My AIM and myspace url is on my profile. Im in the U.S.A ,West Coast [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]PM if u need a buddy. im awake till late,around 2AM, (pacific time) Edited by: harttride
    \"I think that little by little I\'ll be able to solve my problems and survive.\"
    -Frida Kahlo

This is FANTASTIC!!!!!

Im so glad that youre all up for this!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Thank you so so so much to everyoone thats replied, youre all great!!

So now all we have to decide is if you want to buddy up in pairs or groups?? It obviously makes sense to buddy up people according to time zones so that there is more chance of being available during a crisis!! Make sense???

Also, we need to figure out who wants to be a buddy and who would like a buddy for support, so we can match people up suitably.

So I reckon now, if you can all state where you live, and if you would like to be a buddy, or you would like to have a buddy. Does that make sense?? If would be lovely to match up stronger people who can give advice and support to hope to those who are really suffering.

Sorry I didnt get on yesterday, migraine [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] , thankfully gone today!! woohoo [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

So lets get this started....woohooo....

Im happy to be a buddy, im in London in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by lyntess
    Thanks for the welcome! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Hehe, it doesn't help that my husband is English so my 3am is his 8am. Goooood MORNING, right? [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] And yes, it'd be reeeally nice to be able to IM somebody or email and be relatively sure of a fairly quick response, should an "emergency" arise.

Of course, I use that term loosely... purely because there's only SO MUCH support an online community can give you during a "crisis". Even over the phone. Still, sometimes just knowing you're not alone in being utterly stupid about certain things ("OMG SOMEONE JUST RAN INTO THE BATHROOM, WHAT IF THEY'RE.....") helps immensely. I know that just finding this site, and realizing there were people who reacted like I do to v*, was amazingly helpful.

I'm doing ducky, thanks a bunch! And yourself?
    Hiya hun,

Thats what I thought!! Its always so nice just to know theres someone there for you who knows what youre going through, and you can just pick up the phone and call. Im sure that when the relationships develop, some people will be up for meeting too, which I think is brilliant and will be so so helpfull. Im realy glad youre happy to find the site, so was I and its helped my strength grow and made me feel so comforted and 'normal'!! lol.

Glad youre ok hun, im great thanks!! (now that the pesky headaches gone!! lol)

(((hugs))) xxxx

Rhi, thats fantastic! Im so pleased for you!! Good luck with the counclling, let us know how it goes, and deff post those pics!! Youre a great advert for the buddying system hun!! xx

Kel, carcrash, Lauren, Mary, Hannah, Leann, BigEmet, Shelbster, SimplyMe, Kerri, Lyntess, Emetmama, Jezebel, Musicmaam, Kendall and hartride, you all sound FAB!!! Thanks for the volunteering!! (sorry if I missed anyone!!)

Jezebel, sounds like you would be a great buddy with all the stuff you have learnt. Im sure a lot of you have also got stuff you could teach others and have brill advice to give. None of you have to be like 100% over the phobia or anything, just in a position where you feel more in control and can lead a relatively 'normal' (hate that word!!) life so that people can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Know what I mean??

K, thats enough waffling from me...lets get started!!!...Ally xxx and (((hugs))) to you all xxxx

Mary in Illinois...would love to be a buddy!

im in in California U.S.A.Anyone in Cali??Sometimes i feel like i need a buddy but, im also sometimes feel like i can be of quite a bit of help,like lately i feel like i need a buddy 'cause my anxiety has been acting up quite a bit since i had real bad episode the Saturday before this last Saturday..I dont know if that makes any sense.? i think its like when you have bad days right? any ways thats my location!omg.. this is such a great idea [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Edited by: harttride
    \"I think that little by little I\'ll be able to solve my problems and survive.\"
    -Frida Kahlo

in fact id like to be a buddy and i have an idea. why dont we make two
    topics and one can have people that want to be buddys just post theyre
    name and email adress then another for people who want buddys and
    they post the same thing and we can put a list of whos whos buddy
    what do ya say?
    <a href=\"
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>