Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Many of you probably don't know me, I don't post here very often, but I'm the author of the Emetophobia Eraser program and I just had to vent...

When someone starts our program, I try to keep in touch with them every few days for awhile to offer them encouragement and let them know I'm available for any questions or whatnot that comes up during the first couple weeks.

So I send out my email like I normally to one of my customers and she completely snaps on me, tells me to get a life and stop bothering her.

Now keep in mind, this isn't some random person, she bought the program and filled out a special form to allow me to check in with her.

What's the deal? Why are people so angry? Especially when I'm just trying to help them and give them a shoulder to lean on...it's frustrating sometimes...

Anyway, not looking for an answer, just venting.

Jillian
    http://ww.EmetophobiaEraser.com

Wow, that's ... unstable lol. I was going to say why not add a check box if they do or don't want contact but then I read, you already have one and she said she wanted it so ... hmm ... weird. But its her problem, maybe shes having a bad day and can't snap her bosses head off so she went after you instead. Not fair at all but a possibility. Don't let it ruin your day!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Yeah, good way to look at it

Sometimes you just need to vent you know?

It's not even like it a little checkbox someone could miss, you have to put all your information into a special form, it's not going to be an accidental sort of thing.

Anyway, thanks for listening, I'll go back under my rock now

Jillian

Definitely sounds like the person has some other issues, who knows what, for them to snap at you for doing something she completely consented to, and even paid for.

Still, I'm sorry it happened. I know I totally hate it when people get mad at me for absolutely no reason.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

Maybe it's because you're charging for emetophobia advice, while the rest of us are giving it away for free?

Doug, dispensing emet advice freely since 1997
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I certainly think people should get all the information they can from good sites like yours Doug, but if they need more personal help, I like to think I'm of some help.

I spent the past 3 hours talking to and emailing people struggling and I wouldn't be able to do that with a spouse, 3 year old daughter, and 8 week old son without the relatively small cost I charge.I wish I could, perhaps you can, but I can't.

Anyway, I don't think that had anything to do with it, but I have admired your site and think it's a good resource everyone should check out. I used the information you provide myself when I was challenged with emet. So consider this a belated thank you.

Jillian

Doug . . . harsh. Glad you weren't scared away, emeteraser.

Well, we're only hearing your side of the story after all. I've had more than one PM on here from people saying you seek them out on their blog or whatever and try to push your program on them. Now I know that's only THEIR side of the story as well, so I take it with a grain of salt.
    Doug may have been harsh, but if you use a word like "eraser" it's gets people's expectations pretty high. And although your fee is nominal, as Doug said, the rest of us - myself included - offer free advice, information, etc. Doug and I both have done scientific research, even brought in microbiologists to help people. I've set up websites, and given free consults to several therapists, even psychiatrists, across the globe...all for free. So if you charge money, even only a modest fee, you can expect people to get snarky if they don't get what they paid for (their phobia "erased").
    Don't worry...we're a lot harsher on people who charge $1500 for promises of complete cure. We outright ban them from the site.

All that being said, keep plugging away at what you believe in. I'm just pointing out why you might be getting the response you're getting.

For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Hi Again Sage,
    I don't think Doug was harsh, like I said, I think he does good work too, like I'm sure you do.

If someone doesn't like my program, or feel it's for them (which happens sometimes), they get their money back. The particular client wasn't upset at the program, but rather my emailing her to ask how she was doing, which I consider part of my services, to be there for people. It makes me feel good to have people tell me how much I've helped them, and those people have never complained about the 40 bucks, so I sleep fine at night, as I'm sure you do as well when you charge for your services as a therapist.

If you or Doug have anything that you would like to share on my site in my resources page, I'd be delighted to have it.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent because I was having a tough day, I apologize if I bothered everyone, it wasn't my intention.

Jillian

I am going to be honest here!
    I am angry that you are charging $47 for this - it should be free!
    I know you have to make a living but i dont see why I should have to pay to live a life free of fear - a fear that I didn't ask for in the first place!
    ISAIAH 41:10

Maybe if emeteraser's program were the definite cure-all it might be reasonable to get upset that it isn't free, but the way I see it, emeteraser has the right to choose to charge for the service, just like the client chooses to pay for it.

It's kind like how we all need food to survive. We're charged for it, and we choose to pay for it, if ya see what I'm saying, LoL.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

[QUOTE=wackydeli]
    It's kind like how we all need food to survive. We're charged for it, and we choose to pay for it. QUOTE]

Agreed. And some of us choose to pay more for "better" or specialized foods, while some of us resort to leftovers from church potlucks for weeks at a time. The system she's offering also comes with a moneybackguaranteewheeeee, so if it doesn't work, you get your dough back.

While I can understand Person A getting touchy about Person B making money on a service Person A provides day in and day out for free, I can also understand being irritated by constant interruptions-- did you guys see how much e-book reading was involved in that program? Holy pancakes. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] After the sixth straight hour scrolling through Acrobat Reader, I'd be ready to bite someone in the face, too!

Deeeeeep breaths. Maybe considering the fee-factor here, you should try out "The Customer Is Always Right" as a mantra for a while. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Normalcy is merely indicative of a lack of courage.