Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Habits

What are your habits when your feeling n* and panic ? I for example , imediatly stick a finger in my ear or pinch myself ..weird huh? like that's gonna help me ... [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

First thing I do when I realize something's not quite right in that department is "resettle". I'll shift, take a breath, frown and try and determine the level of discomfort and where exactly it's coming from. I do a lot of lip-pursing at this point. Don't ask me why, I don't know!

If it's a REAL sick feeling, I sit up straight, flick through my mental catalogue of remedies ("Where's the pepto? How much do I have left? Rolaids? Bonine? etc). I start wandering back and forth from the bathroom, and I do a lot of knuckle-cracking.

If it's a QUASI sick feeling, I'll pull the skin on my wrist and squeeze it between my thumb and forefinger. NO IDEA WHY. :-P
    Normalcy is merely indicative of a lack of courage.

i did that too ( pull the skin on my wrist ) but now i stick a finger in my ear ) its almost funny how the body imediatly reacts ...

when i feel that way,i start off with finger cracking, i move around in my seat alot.Try my hardest to relax, and take deep breath.Then i head for my "gum stash" and ,chew,chew,chew.Recently i've been trying to cut back ,so i try to chew it only when ABSOLUTLEY necessary.I used have a much much worse habit, which i dont know if its appropiate to say, but i used to hurt myself badly.I havent in quite awhile, but thats the extremes i'd go to prevent "it" from happening,even though i know it only hurts me much worse,im literally a completley different person in a panick state, and sometimes dont even know what the h*ll im doing to myself until i've done it.i only do this when i panick from n* [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] When its panick from other people v*ing, i cry, cover my ears, or stick my fingers in my ears to prevent the noises ,hum or sing loudly like a crazy person and chew gum.Edited by: harttride
    \"I think that little by little I\'ll be able to solve my problems and survive.\"
    -Frida Kahlo

If it's a little discomfort, I'll try laying a certain way that'll help me feel better. My "stomach" positions are laying on my left side or on my stomach.

When I'm REALLY feeling n*, I do something that's kind of embarrassing but because I'm comfortable with everyone here I'll share. For some reason my hands automatically go "down there" and I'll basically just pinch myself there. I don't know why, and it's not like pleasurable or anything like that. But for some reason when I'm feeling especially bad my hands just instinctively go there. It's weird, and reminds of when little kids touch themselves but don't even realize what they're doing.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

wakydeli...omg :| i do that too..i haven;t shared because its so ..embarrising..my hands go down there too and the pinching :| this is so strange...

It's such a relief to know I'm not the only one!

When I feel sick, I start pulling out hairs. It's a terrible habit and a painful thing to do, though I've been doing it since I was so young I hardly notice the pain anymore. I just hate the fact that it starts happening before I realize it - I'm praying and working for more self-control!!

Quote Originally Posted by musicmaam
    When I feel sick, I start pulling out hairs. It's a terrible habit and a painful thing to do, though I've been doing it since I was so young I hardly notice the pain anymore. I just hate the fact that it starts happening before I realize it - I'm praying and working for more self-control!!
    I do the exact same thing. It started about a month ago, and I'm trying to get out of the habit, but half the time I don't even notice that I'm picking at them and pulling them out.

Also, usually at night if I start feeling weird or panicked I go outside and sit on the porch for a while, I've always done that though. Ever since I can remember I always liked being outside over inside when I felt bad or anxious. I think it might be the brisk cool air at night that helps or maybe all the different sounds outside, I don't know. [img]smileys/smilies_27.gif[/img]

Either that or get some a few pieces of crystalized ginger and eat those, or sip some water.

Abbey__xx, I hope you can stop it soon - after over a decade it's so ingrained in me and very hard to stop!

It's called trichotillomania and there are some good sites on the net about it, but also lots of scams it looks like! I hope you can stop soon - good luck!

I have to walk around. I have been known to pace my house, up and down the stairs, across the basement and back, all night long if I'm really sick. I can't just sit still, its like I have to try to get away from it.
    JANNA

Also, usually at night if I start feeling weird or panicked I go outside and sit on the porch for a while, I've always done that though. Ever since I can remember I always liked being outside over inside when I felt bad or anxious. I think it might be the brisk cool air at night that helps or maybe all the different sounds outside, I don't know. [img]smileys/smilies_27.gif[/img]

I have to be outside too. I think its about not feeling trapped. I also chain-smoke. Trying to quit. Was doing really well until the kids got sick....

Quote Originally Posted by jandub
    I have to walk around. I have been known to pace my house, up and down the stairs, across the basement and back, all night long if I'm really sick. I can't just sit still, its like I have to try to get away from it.
    I do this too. My husband is away all the time, so I often call him and pace up and down the driveway....

I look for the nearest bathroom or vomit-worthy container, start determining everything I ate that day and how long it's been (to see if it's digested or still in my stomach). No physical habits, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jandub
    I do this sometimes, too. If I'm feeling particularly anxious about feeling sick I can't stay still and need to walk around. I'll even pace the few feet in my bathroom if I'm feeling particularly bad where I feel like I need to be near the toilet.