Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I haven't taken a car ride longer than 6 hours in about ten years and I've got a 13+ one starting tomorrow. I hate car rides in the first place - I feel trapped, and it makes my head hurt, and it makes me n* - and now I've got to face one after a long time. Any tips to calm myself down, keep myself occupied (but I get really dizzy if I read in the car, play nintendo, do anything that isn't looking out the window or sleeping)? I'm actually skipping breakfast before work today - which I never do because I feel SO much worse later - because I'm freaking out and my tummy is in knots so bad.

Thanks!

Who will be driving? Is there any way you can, or at least do some of the driving? If you can't drive maybe buy some drammamine (sp) and just follow the directions on the package. bring whatever comforts you can (if you like to chew gum or sip water, have some music you especially enjoy, etc). And when in doubt just try to get some sleep. I wouldn't recommend not eating at all because that can make you feel sick, just eat lite if you're worried you will feel sick ... even if its just a few saltines or something. Um lets see, if possible, if you aren't driving be the front seat passenger ... try to look straight (at the horizon). And remember that you've done long road trips before and gotten through so you can do it again! Most importantly ... HAVE FUN!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

She gives great advice!I want to stress the eating thing. I get so much more n* in the car on an empty stomach!! Otherwise, I think she covered them all! Especially, the have fun part!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."