Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Pills

I'm not sure if this is related to my emetophobia at all, so I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone else on here has the same problem.

I can't swallow pills. My dad, who can swallow seriously a mouthful of huge horse pills at once with no problem, has told me a million times that if I can swallow food, I can swallow pills, so I shouldn't have a problem, but every time I just ignore the fear and do it anyway I end up choking. Even tiny pills are a big problem, and I have no idea how to solve it.

Does anyone else have this problem, or is it a separate issue from the emtophobia? If it is then wow, I'm just messed up all along the digestive tract as far as fear goes!

I can swallow pills but it's really hard for me to swallow pills. I have no idea why I'm like this though. It dosen't have anything to do with my emetophobia. It helps me swallow them if I swallow them with orange juice.

I cannot swallow pills either. I but them in food if I absolutely can't avoid taking them, but it doesn't usually fool me.

When I nearly broke my wrist I tried to take Tylenol for the pain repeatedly until my mom got really mad and gave up.

see, i'm not sure if this is related to emet or not... i couldn't swallow
    pills for the longest time ever, but i know sooo many not-emets who
    can't either! it would be interesting to do a study on this!Edited by: prncesspnk

My sister, who constantly got car sick as a kid could not swallow pills either. She still can't, she has to take liquid things. I don't have a problem with pills but I wouldn't be surprised if other emets did, considering they might be afraid they will choke or gag and get sick.

I never used to be able to swallow pills until I was like 15 I used have to crunch them up and put them In water even though It tasted disgusting. I'm a little better at it now though but I still struggle I know It sounds weird but If I pull my hair when I do It, It seems to make them go down easier.

I used to gag before i've even put it my mouth but this works for me nearly all the time. Sounds mad but at least try it I get a cold bottle of pop, stand up put the tablet in my mouth then big gulp of drink and spin round making sure your eyes follow you and swallow while you go round, tablet's gone. That's it just spin. it works for me nine out of ten times.

I used to be unable to swallow any kind of pills. I would gag even with those tiny 24 hour allergy pills. Then I got medicine I have to take every day. :-( Now I've gotten to the point where I can swallow two pills at a time.

I know this sounds wierd, but I used to try swallowing big chunks of food (I like to swallow canned mandarin orange slices whole) and after doing it with softer food, I think that helped me swallow pills. I don't know if it's such a smart idea though, I was just a kid.

I can swallow them without problem except for the morning when my gag reflux is strong.

I actually don't worry about choking (except for choking on v*) because I can calm myself down if I feel like I am choking and wait until the food goes down.Really weird.

I'm horrible with pills too. I know it's completely psychological, which is annoying, but yeah.

I can take super tiny pills.. like once I had to take emergency contraception and that was fine. But anything bigger, like Advil.. sometimes I can and sometimes I can't.
    Bee Bop!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one.
    I have to like throw my head back as i swallow to get them down. I dunno why I can't swallow them, but it's just really hard for me :|
    ~~~The One Winged Angel~~~

I had trouble until my late teens, used to have to crush them or get liquid. I learned by cutting them in quarters, then halves etc. But before you cut or crush any meds make sure w/ your doctor or pharmacist that they are allowed to be broken. Anyhow, I still don't like taking large pills but it definitely was mental for me, my throat could close up and I couldn't swallow it. Now I just relax my throat and there it goes lol. Hoep this helps someone.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

If you put the pill at the back of your tongue, tilt your head back and fill your mouth with water, let it sit for a second then swallow, I guarantee you'll have no problem.
    Lauren xx