Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: it starts young

So today I took my daughter to daycare and they were going on a day-long trip to a lake about 45 minutes away. She was very excited, and she told me that her friend's mother was joining them on the trip. I saw the mom and said, "so, I hear you're going on the trip today? You're a better mother than I am", thinking that there's no way you'd get me on a bus with a bunch of 3-5 year olds for that long a trip. So she said, "yeah, it seems my daughter has developed a fear of buses." She then explained to me that the fear of buses comes directly from a fear of puking that she'd recently developed.

It started a few months ago, when the 4 year-old's baby brother got sick and threw up all over the car and it got on her, she freaked out. I remember when this happened, the mom told me her daughter insisted on going to stay with her grandparents until her baby brother was better. So then, on the first field trip of the summer, one of the kids (who's no longer at the daycare) got carsick and was sick twice on the bus and had to get picked up by her parents when they got to their destination. Ever since then, this little girl has been freaked by bus trips and has missed the last couple, so the mom, who says the kid "comes by the fear naturally" (meaning that she's freaked by puke too), decided to go with the kid so the kid wouldn't spend her life avoiding.

I just thought this was really interesting, and feel quite bad for the little girl. A few months ago, when her brother was sick and the mom was telling us how freaked her daughter got, I said that I was phobic about it, and another mother piped up and said, "oh yeah, me too, i absolutely panic. my kids know to go to their dad when they're sick". so there you go. it's way more widespread than we even dreamed it was.
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

Thanks for posting that Elizabeth! It's really interesting to see and hear about all the other emets out there!

That's too bad about the little girl though, she could grow out of it? But it sounds strangely familiar to my own story...When I was younger I fell and hit my head on some ice on a feild trip, had to take the bus home with my mom (!!!) and then when I got home I threw up. So that was really weird to hear!!

Anyways, Thanks again!
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

WOW!!! such a small world!!

as for that little girl, i do feel extremely sorry for her, but at least shes not hiding it inside her. shes opened up to her parentrs, so hopefully they can actively help her!

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Its sad to hear about little kids going through this too, they cant even do much avoiding like adults can. I feel really sorry for her (

But this phobia is unbelievably common, its just not very publicly known. Not as many people go and seek help as there should be! This phobia needs recognition!!!! The doctors/psychiatrists need to know how bad this is and do something better to help us all!!!

Ok... moan over lol

Sarah xxx
    I couldn\'t tell you why she felt that way... she felt it everyday and i couldn\'t help her... i just watched her make the same mistakes again...

you're right about people not opening up about it. it took me years to get over the embarassment. i remember going to therapists and trying to get help for something that i would not even name. needless to say, i wasn't very successful until i finally found the courage to say, "i'm obsessively afraid of throwing up."
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

I could put a name only yuesterday on this damn phobia even if i have it for a so long time.... I already went to see 2 psy about that, even if i didn'Zt know that there was a name for it and they just told me that it was panic attacs and a little depression. The gave me Celexa and said Bye bye, don't come back..... Even the damn psy don't know about this phobia or don't want to admit that it truly exists.....

Marie
    I\'m in fight for my soul, but i\'ll win.

I know what your talking about, Marie (I think that's what you go by, right?), it's like you just told my same experience with the doctor I saw. It makes you never want to open up again. It's so sad to hear about that little girl, I had emet when I was her age too, and the person I most feared was my little sister because she would throw up without warning because she was so little. I hope that this doesn't strain her relationship w/ her brother as much as it has mine with my sister. It was so bad for me to be around my sister that I think my son will probably end up being an only child. I try to make his childhood as different from mine as possible, to hopefully avoid passing on this terrible thing to him. I just pray everyday that he will remain "normal."

You know all, i'm so happy that Hannah found me and showed me this place. I never heard about anybody like me before, and even the psy were thinking that i was imagining this phobia. I'm here only since yesterday but i have so many answers to all these questions that i'm asking to myself since years and years... What to do when even psy don't believe you????

For the little girl, i hope that she will not be like that her whole life.... You all know like me how horrible this damn phobia is. It really rule our lifes and always say to us what we have and what we can't do....

Marie
    I\'m in fight for my soul, but i\'ll win.

wow thats really interesting. And shows that even events when we are 3 or 4 can still ahve an efect on us. Its amazing that you've found some other emetic mums. Maybe you can have a chat about it or give them this site address maybe. But I think that the girls mum is doing the right thing by helping her child get over this and helping her. Hopefully she wont be another generaton of kids with emet on this site!

That is so nice that the mom didn't dismiss this little girl's fear as just something in her head that she should get over. I never told my parents because I feared that would be their response. I was ashamed of it. So those of you who were able to be honest about your fear with your family from an early age, I envy you.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Hiya,

Its really nice to hear how supportive the mum was being for her daughter. I remember doing some weird things wen i was younger which I now know is becuz I was afraid of being sick - such as eating very little as to not overeat etc. I never told my parents just how terrified I was... cuz I managed to keep it so well hidden. My parents never found out until 2 years ago when things just built up and I went to pieces.

Maybe if I had have told them about it back then, then I would have been able to deal with it wen I was little and kind of get over it?

Rachel xxx
    <center><font size=\"2\"><font color=BLACK> If you\'re going through hell... keep on going... </font></font></center>