Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Panic Mode

This is my first post on the forum. I have been scared of v* since I was 7 years old and heard my dad loudly getting sick. Before that, v* was not a big deal to me at all.

I'm in total panic mode tonight too. On Tuesday our family had a Christmas party. My cousin was there with her kids, and one of her kids mentioned that her mom was on the BRAT diet recently due to a stomach bug. Luckily, her husband and the kids hadn't caught it. She was feeling fine and ate that night. I was able to keep a distance that night, but I couldn't today. We went to my cousin's house for Christmas. I made certain to wash my hands and tried not rub my eyes and nose. I rubbed my nose with the inside of my shirt under my sweater. She isn't big on housecleaning, and I worried I could literally be touching a germ at any second. I was also in closer contact with my cousin. Later, her brother in law showed up with his kids absent his wife. I asked him where his wife was, and he said she was sick with a stomach bug. He said it like it was no big deal. If people without emetophobia could only know how we feel for one day. I tried to stay away from him and his kids because I figured they could be carrying the germs. There is usually a 3 day window where I come down with these things, and I'm really panicked that I'll catch it. I read the Disney Board (posted on another thread) and saw that people at many of their resorts and parks are getting sick. Other people posting were saying it's going around in their areas. I know it's going around in mine. Apparently the one at the Disney resorts and parks is highly contagious and very bad. It doesn't sound exactly like the one my cousin had, but I'm sure it's all a form of Norwalk nonetheless. Even if I didn't pick anything up, all I need is for either of my parents to pick it up, and I'm gone. Having someone with a stomach virus in the house (with the added potential of me catching it) is enough to drive me into a serious anxiety attack.

Here I sit, having just ate a slice of cake, wondering if I'll be v* within the next few days. I have IBS, so it compounds my fears. I don't know if I'm not feeling well from that or from a virus. I really can't afford to get sick because fear and IBS have lead to an eating disorder. It's an everyday battle, and I'm working with a doctor to gain weight. A setback from a virus would put me in the hospital.

This board is great. I've read it for a long time. The first time I found it, I was so relieved to see there are people out there like me. It's nice to know I'm not alone. There was a time I thought I was.
    Edited by: scaredofv*

Welcome to the site. The one thing I try to remember is that I have come into close contact with so many people and never caught it that way. It seems to always hit when I don't hear about it going around.

Welcome to the forum.

I know exactly how nervous you feel as I've been in similar situations. What I usually do is take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Friend me on Facebook
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for the responses. So far I haven't V*. Yesterday, I was feeling nauseous. I ate very little. I ate this afternoon and recently had some soup. It felt more like IBS than a virus.

Like you said, SusieQ, I realize I am exposed to people all the time and don't catch it. I do tend to feel more nervous in crowds because I figure the chances of being exposed are greater. It seems I often get it when I'm not expecting it.

Centipede, I used to take apple cider vinegar for nausea mixed with a little honey and water. I got away from taking it after I had a stomach virus, and it didn't work. Of course, the virus had already started when I took it. Maybe I'll have to get some again.

Hi,
    Welcome to the site.
    Please click on the link below and check out my website for all kinds of information about how to treat emetophobia and other things like how noroviruses are spread and such.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.