Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: oh god.

I was just watching the news and they made this announcement of a recall of ground beef from the place where I shop. It's got the e-coli in it. The really crappy part is, that even as I was watching this, I was eating some spaghetti which I made using ground beef from that place.

This is NOT good!

I'm unclear about how the e-coli stuff actually works. I remember that whole jack in the box thing, but those burgers were simply not cooked well enough right? Like, if you cook meat that has e-coli in it, it's no problem as long as it's cooked enough right? There's no doubt that I cooked this meat enough; first I cooked it fully in the pan and then after that it was sitting in boiling tomato sauce for half an hour, so there's no way it cannot be cooked. I just hope cooking eliminates risk totally!

I'm really thinking of eliminating ground beef from my diet totally. Too bad, since I quite like it. Not worth the risk though.
    what a horrible night to have a curse.

Don't worry; you're right, as long as you cook ut thoroughly you will kill the bug, and you sound like you cooked it very well indeed so I am sure you will be fine. And sometimes it depends on when you bought it, like they could be doing a recall from meat bought 3 days ago and you only bought it today or something like that??

Worrying wil only make you feel sick and then you'll worry that you have it...it's a vicious circle.

Stop worrying!!

Edited by: cwarren
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=BLUE>Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carolinexx</font></font>

Don't panic - you definitely cooked it properly and that kills the e-coli bug, it's only if you use mince (as we call it here in the UK) in, say a burger and eat it rare that you are at risk.

If buying it in future worries you, why not buy a steak and mince it yourself, this is much safer- the reason mince isan e-coli risk is because the mincing process creates a larger surface area and so it is more easily contaminated, also they mince many steaks togther which increase the risk. If you just buy enouch steak for you and mince it yourself you know it hasn't been ground long and been sat around the store.

HTH and try not to panic......
    Sarah :0)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

yeah, I've been thinking about getting a meat grinder and just doing it myself.

The reason I freaked out was because with some food poisoning, I've read that it doesn't matter if you cook the food after it's gone off, because the toxins from the bacteria are still there and they make you sick...so, that's not the case with this then?
    what a horrible night to have a curse.

yeah u defenitely cooked that well!! u cooked it just as my mother does, and she always over-cooks her meat!

ull be fine

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

I'm curious...What store?
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=red>aol/aim screename: kraziqtashes&lt;br&gt;
    dontwannabeme17
    </font></font>

Not to make light of the situation, but this may make you laugh- this
    gross girl where I work was telling everyone she had the stomach flu,
    and she was V* ing at work and I was in a total panic, but later found
    out she had e-coli and dint want to tell anyone. My workmate said "what
    was she doing, eating s***???" XD[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

thats kinda gross. Im not sure what kind of percautions you should take but I would say the scare is over by now!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I heard the same warning, but you know what? It's old... the people bought the ground beefover a month ago and got sick like the 2nd week in July. I know alot of people keep meat in their freezer and could get sick later. But if you cook it at a high enough temp and don't leave it bloody (which I'm sure none of us emets do that!!) you won't get sick and it'll kill the bacteria. I think the stuff I read said to get it to 160 degrees.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11