Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I used to post here under the name houstongal but for some reason it won't let me so here I am with a name change.[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Here's my story,

My husband and I went to breakfast at my favorite restaurant, cracker
    barrel. I love the pancakes there..YUM. Well, there was this
    table next to us with many kids. They were there first so they
    got served and I was anticipating my scrumptious breakfast.

Well,after a few minutes I saw this kid running to his mom, holding his hand over his mouth and making those "HEAVING" sounds[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]...my
    breakfast had just been served. I was about to eat when this
    happened. I didn't even have to think about what I was going to
    do...I ran the hell outta there, with my husband sitting there with
    this confused look on his face. He came out to find where I was
    and asked me what was wrong! I said that kid was going to puke
    and I couldn't watch. You see, my husband knows that I can't
    stomach hearing, or seeing v* ,but I don't think he knows how afraid I
    get[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I asked him what happened with the kid..you know I just HAD To know. He
    said the mother ran her kid to the bathroom..YUCK..I'm glad I wasn't in
    THERE!

He got our meals in a to go box and we left. I still couldn't eat it later so I fed it to my dogs, and parrot.

When I was little my sister used to stick her finger down her throat
    and say.."I'm gonna v*" and run after me.. I hate her for that[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I HATE EMET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sigh [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

aww u poor poor soul..

btw, elcome back to our family

i have to go, but hope tosee uaround soon and hpoe ur feeling ok

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Welcome back...that sounds awful it's horrible when emet comes along and ruins things for you. I like your pic btw [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=BLUE>Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carolinexx</font></font>

That stinks. I hate when stuff like that happens, it's especially scary to be around little kids because you just never know what they are going to do. My husband also know I am squeemish about v*, but he doesn't know just how much either. That is such a hard thing. I hate it too. My family also used to make fun of me all the time and I can still remember one time when I was seven and the pretended they were v*ing ice cream, just to upset me.

I love cracker barrel too, hope I don't think of your story the next time I go!!

Oh my god...It is enough for me to never return to a restaurant....I hope it will never happen to me....Damn....
    I\'m in fight for my soul, but i\'ll win.

Hey there. Sorry to hear about that. I sound so mean when I say this....but I can't stand kids. I know it's not their faults (It's something I'm working on) but I just can't stand being around them, being near them, seeing the, ect.

That happend to me, but I was serving a table!!! And I saw the mom take the boy to the bathroom, and heard everything. It was horrible.

Hopefully you're doing okay!

.I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

Welcome. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I am so sorry that that had to happen to you. I hope that it doesn't ruin it for you. I have had emet since I was 18 months with a short period inbetween where I was ok with going out. Then from about age 13 - 23 I couldn't go ANYWHERE. With the exception of school. Even that wasn't easy.
    I couldn't go to restraunts and if someone got me there I refused to eat. I was SOOO scared someone was going to be sick or I would be.
    MAYBE the kid choked a bit though. I know my son will make a heaving/gagging noise if he drinks too fast or swallows something before shewing it well. I am sure that that was a horrible experience but if you think about it what are the chances you are going to come across that again any time soon.
    Hope you are able to go back and enjoy your favorite breakfast.
    BIG HUGS
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Eww... sorry that happened. I would have done just as you did and not eaten. Yuck.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Aww hunny thats too bad that that happened. I would have done the same thing so I don't blame youfor running out of the place. But you know, I probably would have reacted much worse myself if I were you. I'd break down and cry. Anyways hunn take care and please know I am thinkin bout you. BTW, luv ur pic!

aww what an unfortuante experiance for you. It must of been tough but we all would of run out of there like a shot. Dont let this stop you going to restarauns though, thats how this phobia gets worse unfortuantly, in we avoid things so keep going and I'm sure that it wont happen again soon

Oh my gosh....that is nasty. Sorry that had to happen. I have had a somewhat similar experience. In fourth grade, a boy who was in the same class threw up right in the cafeteria line and another girl and I had littledesire to eatafter that becuase he did it right in front of us. Also, in fourth grade, I had cafeteria duty which meant I had to work in the cafeteria. I was working the trash and get-rid-of-your-leftover-food-and-drink area and one boy brought up a tray with a very gross looking substance. I am pretty sure it was just chocolate milk mixed with food, but I DID NOT TOUCH THAT TRAY!

Peace.

Elizabeth.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I think I'm one of the oldest people here. I'm a 40-year-old
    emetophobe. I have 2 sons that have v* before but my husband was always
    here to help them. We all know that usually the nauseousness
    feeling are mostly at night(when my husband was home)

My sons are probably as old as most of you here. They are 17&amp;18. When they puke they do it by themselves now.[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I hope I can go back and eat at that restaurant without thinking about the incident.[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

Why do I always remember these scenes so vividly? It's like it's in slow motion and I remember EVERYTHING!

You guys, I don't know how you all deal with school. I associate
    v* with school. There was always some kid hurling somewhere.

I never used to eat in school..EVER. I'd wait til I came home and would eat it in my room. I'd starve all day [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Thanks for all your kind words.

Cwarren, thanks liking my pic!

I refuse to eat anywehre but my home so i can make the food with my
    own hands and boil it with my own oven..

aww tex I don't think you are the oldest. I know there are a few people on here that are close. I am 25 the youngest in my family by far.Anyways age isn't really immportant. It is intersting to see the younger ones though. Mostly because I WISH OH HOWI WISH that I knew about it when I was 14. I say 14 because I think thatis when I actually had internet
    I use to be the same way and I had everyone down my back for never eating. It wasn't till last year I actually ate out and ate a meal. It felt sooo good.
    How long have you had this tex?
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Melikasa,

I've had this phobia since I was about 8 years old. I
    didn't have the best childhood. One of the most scary times is when I
    threw up in my bed..about 8 years old. My mother was a neat freak
    and when she heard the commotion in the bedroom and came in she saw me
    sitting in bed with a pool of v* around me. She started slapping
    and cussing me over and over. My big sister helped me clean up.
    My mother is a "neat freak" and considers her home a palace. Dont mess
    with the QUEEN!

Me and my parents have never got along very well. They
    considered me "a black sheep" and let it be known throughout my
    childhood.

I blame this phobia on them. I know some people here might think
    it's a cop out, but in my heart I trully believe this. ALong with
    emet, I have an inferiority complex. Both of
    these attributes I possess can really hinder oneself.

Thanks for asking about me [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

*btw- my sons never think of v* as scary.. they just let it happen and
    go about their business. So they didn't inherit my fear.. thank
    goodness!!

Hiya im faith marilyn an im quite new here, i was reading your post and i related to it so much, im scared of restaurants and i find it very difficult to leave the house, school was hell for me too. Do u mind me asking how u feel about it now? and if your better how did u over come it?
    Please reply, faith marilyn xxx [img]smileys/smilies_14.gif[/img]

Hi faith marilyn

I still go to restaurants. My husband loves to eat out so he gets
    mad if I don't want to go. I know this is going to sound weird
    but when we go I look for tables that are by themselves(corner tables
    in the back,near an exit) I only eat what I think would be safe like
    salad, veggies, bottled water. NO meat, seafood, chicken.
    When I hear someone cough, or suddenly move I get scared, so I'm
    constantly watching everyone.

No,no I don't go to school anymore. I couldn't stand 1-12. I went to
    college for a while and couldn't take it due to anxiety reasons. My
    heart would be pounding, I'd have to use the bathroom alot because I'd
    be so tense. Confined in a classroom with many people I didn't
    know was far too much for me to handle. This was just not for me.

I did find it easier to go to school to learn a trade. I went to
    a continuing education class where I learned to draw blood. This
    course was 6 months long and I did well. I felt at ease there
    being that there were only 11 people in the class, mostly older woman
    like 30 and over. We all go along well. So there is
    hope. I just wasn't cut out for regular classes.

I used to be like you afraid of leaving the house. I'd get panick
    attacks, and just feel like I wanted to crawl in a hole.
    Eventually I got on med's. Right now I'm on Lexapo(for
    depression) and diazepam(for anxiety) Most times before I
    go out to eat with my husband I'll take my anxiety drug right before we
    leave so when we get there I'll relax.

Have you tried med's?

Yours truly,

Renee

Hi Renee :-)
    Thanx for you reply. A lot of what your saying about restaurants etc isd also true for me, i get jumpy, find it difficult to swallow food because im scared it might make me gag etc.
    I havent tried meds, my doctor has offered me anti anxiety ones and ones which will make me more positive and want to leave the house and that kind of thing but im reluctant to do that, im in CBT at the moment which is helping me alot, so im going to see how that figures out!
    You're very lucky having your husband, im too scared to start a relationship because im ashamed of my emet [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img] and im scared that they wouldnt understand what was happening. I dont think anyone can truely understand how scary it is unless they're in the position themselves!
    Thankyou so much for you reply!
    Love Faith M [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] xxx

Yeah I may be able to go to restraunts once in a while (thankfully not too often because it is sooo expensive) but I need a corner, a booth, eye shot or easy access to the washroom and away from people. I get a water to drink a stick to something light like a salad. I love a nice salad anyways so at least I don't feel like I am missing out.
    I thank my meds, my husbands support and will power to get out. My 18 month old LOOOOOVES to go out and so I make it a point to go even for a walk now.

I feel sooooo bad for anyone that had to go through a bad childhood. I don't have anything like that that could attribute to my condition. I wonder if your mom had that condition where she composivly cleans and needs to be neat. It isn't so much a want for clean a NEED. I could be totally wrong there but it sounds like it.
    It was sooo wrong of her either way. Especailly when you were so young. I wouldn't do that to anyone no matter what their age but had you been older I could see her saying something like why didn't you go to the bathroom. I don't know. I imagine though that that is EXACTLY where your emet stemmed from and I wish I could just tell you that there is nothing demeaning about being sick and that you were not and never were bad/dirty/wrong for having an accident.
    Big hugs.

Unfortunaly I need to get that part through my head as well and no matter how many times I tell someone or even myself I can't seem to get it out of my head that it is dirty.
    One day we will all win and be better

I eat in restaurants a lot, but I do get a little afaid once in a while. When there are a bunch of little kids, if one of them just overstuffs their stomachs or comes in with a virus, throwing up can happen. Do any of you ever imagine that people are talking about vomit when they are really not, but it sounds like they did say something about vomit? I do. IT especially scares me when it is like this in a restaurant.

texas_darlin, I am sorry to hear about how your mother treated you when you vomited that time when you were eight. She really shouldn't have tried to punish you just becuase you got sick. Now, I kind of have a connection to this "mother" issue, but not exactly the same. My mother does not punish me when I vomit, but she does get mad and start using profanity towards me when I start getting scared about vomiting. She does not show much support for me when I am having a panic attack. PEACE.

LiZzY--

Melikasa&amp; Lizzy,

My mother and dad are still cold people after all these years..very abusive people.

They both are emotionally and physically abusive. I grew up
    listening to fighting, hitting eachother and us kids. Throwing things,
    cussing. You could never measure up in my family. You could do
    everything perfectly and they'd still find something wrong.

My parents would go to clubs and parties and both of them would come
    home and v* I would just lay in my bed shaking, holding my ears and
    sing to myself to calm myself down. It was tooo grosss. You just
    can't imagine. Both of them v* at the same time.

Then they'd get up the next morning from their drunken stupor and my
    dad would yell at my mother to make him some eggs..UGH!! How
    could they eat after that? I sure didn't eat. My stomach
    would be still fip-flopping from the night.

I 'm sorry to air my dirty laundry here It just feel it
    theraputic writing it to get my feelings out. I do believe
    they are responsible for my emet and how I feel about myself(which is
    not very good)

Thanks for reading and responding.

Renee

PS~Lizzy, I do imagine people talking about it in restaurants. I have my ears on standby with my heightened awareness.

Renee, I really feel for you after hearing about your childhood. No wonder you're emetophobic. My dad is an alcoholic and he too used to v* really loudly after nights out - we had a small house. But that's not what caused my phobia.

Anyway, I can relate about the restaurant thing. I'm a teacher (I'm 24) and I've had a couple of run-ins with it at school. When I have a sick kid at school, it takes everything I have not to go running out of the classroom screaming. You had every reason to get out of there, and I'm glad your husband is somewhat understanding. I wish you the best! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

bless you texas, that must have been a rough childhood. I would hate to have parents who would punush me for getting sick! We can't help it especially at that age.
    That must have been a nasty experience, and I have also had one. In a bar.
    No, it wasn't the usual drunkenuproar followedby heaving outside the gents. This was a two year old little boy whothrew up right infront of us whils we were having a drink.This was years ago when I must have been about 8. The image stuck in my head for days and I felt physically replused by it.
    Since then I've had a few run-ins, but that one especially wigged me out.

Don't worry about "airing your laundry" that is what we are here for. It is amazing how just writing it out seems to help. I am sure that you will find sympathizers but you will also find people that have had similar expereinces that you can relate to. You are not alone here.
    That is just horrible though, your parents should be ashamed of themselves. Its a horrible way to act even when you don't have kids. They will get their just rewards I am sure.

Lizzy~

I sooo know what you are talking about with the thinking you have heard someone say something. I dwell on it then, and it ends up festering. Instead of me just dropping it I want to know what it was the actually said. Usually to my dismay it WAS what I thought it was.
    I will hear a noise too and often think the worse, when it wasnt really anything at all.