Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: fluoxetine

sorry to bang on about meds, but just wondered who has tried fluoxetine and whether they find it actually works for anxiety - everything i've read about it seems to suggest that it's only for depression and doesn't mention anxiety. don't want to start taking it if that's not what it's for... thanks xx

Hi I had been on Fluoxetine for years for depression. Not sure whether it helps with anxiety, although I am sure it must do because they prescribe it for patients diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) thinking about it. I think the dosage for depression and OCD is up to 60 mg. I was only on 20 mg and occasionally 40 mg when my depression was bad. I am sure that the doctor prescribing it would know what was best for you so long as you were honest with them about what was going on for you. Hope that helps.

I've been on fluoxetine (Prozac) for nearly four years and I have to say that I don't really think it's that helpful for anxiety. I have asked many times to change and this week my GP finally switched me to Citalopram - which is an SSRI (so in the same family as Prozac) but more useful for treating anxiety.

IMHO I don't think fluoxetine is the best med for emet which is usually much more anxiety based than caused by depression or OCD.

HTH
    Sarah :0)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi Esther,

I'm on 20mg fluoxetin/day for panic attacks and anxiety and it works for me. Well, they don't work as well as Seroxat but the side effects of Seroxat were so bad that I wouldn't wanna go back on them...

Anna [img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]