Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: i told him...

when i started dating my boyfriend, he got a stomach flu, he wanted me to lie in bed with him and keep him company... he didnt uderstand why i freked out when he got up (i thought he could vomit any second) he said i didnt support him... so i finally told him about it, and my mom and dad. my parents think im ridiculous but my boyfriend is very suportive :] i'm glad i told him...

awe thats very good (that you told him and he supported you)

im sorry about your parents..when did you notice you had
    emetophobia?

my parents think im ridiculous too and they don't understand -_-

since i was about 11. i got a food poisoning or something and i felt like i was gonna die. so after that i'm pretty much scared of throwing up or seeing anyone,etc.

I'm glad you were able to tell him, especially since your family aren't that supportive of you - I know a lot of people avoid telling others. I tell everyone; who cares?! If they think you're weird, that's their problem and their loss. How long were you together before you told him?

Its saddens me to know how comfortable we all are on here talking about pretty much anything and knowing we wont be judged but we can hardly tell our family. My mom thinks Im crazy and always tells me to "get a grip." I love these sites and everyone is like family and very NON judgemental. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Georgi
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I can totally relate. My boyfriend got bronchitis really bad last year (the whole event made my emet a hundred times worse - before this happened, I breezed through life and only thought about my emet about once a year).
    He had a fever of about 105 for three days, and we couldn't get to a doctor because we were out of town with no car (at a friend's house). He really wanted me to lay with him but I was terrified because he complained of n* (it was simply from dehydrated too we found out later). I just remember how unbelievably sad he was. I didn't tell him until three months later, and even now I still can't lay down with him when he complains of his frequent stomach aches. I know they are just because he eats unhealthy food and never exercises or takes care of his body, but it still bothers me.

But he is trying to be supportive, just doesn't quite know how

I don't know if you saw my post from a few weeks ago. I was very upset that my mom basically told me to just get over it. Non-emets don't understand, and some of them are just totally... not cool.

In my experience I too have found that some people understand (or at least try to) and others just don't "get it"! My mother and father are both very supportive and help me with my daughter WHENEVER I need them to (my dad sometimes gets angry when I ask him to drive 30 minute to pick her up because I can't get in a car with her (yes, sometimes I feel like a bad mom -- but its not something I can control).

My husband TRIES to understand but when I start panicking or freaking out he gets angry and he winds up upsetting me more -- so when I don't need his support he is supportive but when I need him - FORGET IT!

And my extended family -- especially my SIL she doesn't care, doesn't try and usually hurts my feelings. One time she actually brought her daughter TO MY HOUSE after she had been up all night T*U* -- I made her leave and she has not forgotten about it to this day (it was about 7 years ago). She says "nobody likes v*". I tried to explain but it's no use.

But like wallflower said -- I tell everybody. I've been done caring what people think of me for a very, very long time. I like me and as far as I'm concerned -- THAT'S ENOUGH!!!

i guess i think too much about what others might say..most people in my life doesn't even have a clue that i have this problem. sometimes i want to tell..and my parents just dont get it.

I had the same problem... When I told my boyfriend luckily hes been supportive (although he has trouble understanding why I feel terrible all the time). I feel like I put a lot of stress on him sometimes though because hes the only one I feel comfortable talking to.

My mother has tried her best to understand but still denies I have emet, and my dad thinks I'm crazy which isn't encouraging.

I've told my mom, but she doesn't really act like she cares too much. I heard a woman v*ing in the store restroom today and i was afraid to touch anything in the store and my mother called me ridiculous and said there's no way i'm going to get ill from her. The only friend i've told tries to be encouraging, but she doesn't really understand and I know she thinks it's silly even though she would never say that to me. I'm not telling any one else, because I think the only people who understand are the one's who have this. idk :/

My parents just tell me to 'get a grip'. I was having a sleepover with my friends and they all started to get drunk and I was gunna have a panic attack so I just told them and they seemed pretty uncomfortable with it. They just said that they were not gunna get ill and told me not to worry but they just dont understand =[

I once had a boyfriend who would pretend to get sick if he wanted me to stop talking =[

needless to say we didn't work out.

I told my boyfriend a while ago and hes probably the most supportive person i know, if i feel the slightest bit nauseous and get anxious he doesn't mind if i call him no matter what time of the day it is, even if its 3 or 4 in the morning, he just tells me i'll be ok and to just calm down and he just talks to me. If hes at my house and im freaking out, he just tries to sooth me as best as he can, he tries rubbing my back, rubbing my stomach, trying to make me laugh to get my mind off of it. Hes basically the only person i told about it. Its true non-emets don't really know how it is

I feel so bad hearing that so many people aren't supported in this. I feel like I have the most amazing family ever b/c EVERYONE understands and supports me and tries to protect me when someone is sick or doesn't feel well. My husband, parents, best friend and extended family are all amazing about it. Some of them had a hard time understanding at first. I said to them "imagine if you were afraid of spiders...so afraid that you would rather die than have one touch you and someone tried to actually PUT one on you...how would you feel?" of course they said terrified and then they understood where I was coming from. Once in awhile we laugh about it (my nephew has a very BAD gag reflex and will actually get sick from even feeding his cats b/c of the smell of cat food, cleaning the litterbox, eating too much candy, etc....many other things) and even the kids know to stay away from Beth if you don't feel good! I hope everyone on here can at least at some point have one person to support them
    [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] Edited by: kittygurl21

It's really nice when you are supported. My family is very supportive and I'm open with people for the most part about being emet. I think a lot of people are nice about it or 'supportive' but they can't truly understand how severe it is because they have never experienced being emet themselves. I have a new boyfriend (3 months) and I told him about my emet pretty early on. He was nice about it, but didn't really seem to understand. He basically thought it was something I needed to learn to get over. Like I choose to be this way!! Saturday night he drank too much and left the bathroom door open while he v*. I laid there and held my ears as tight as I could. I got so worked up that I didn't sleep all night and shook violently. I think at that point he got a better grasp of how severely it affects me though its still difficult for him to understand.