Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Salad

I've gone on a diet [img]smileys/smilies_27.gif[/img] and yesterday made a salad to bring to work, which was really tasty but I ended up with the most awful bloating and windy stomach cramps last night and this morning and i'm sure it was the salad which caused it.

I've perservered and had another one today and the pains are coming back again...I don't normally eat stuff like that, and I have two questions:

1 - If it's cos it's a food my stomach's not used to, if i keep eating it will it get used to it and the pains will stop or does this reaction mean i'll never be able to eat it without getting wind, bloating and pain?

2 - I don't trust bagged salads so have got lettuce, cucumber, radishes etc and done it myself, but is rinsing it under cold water really enough to clean it properly? Can you get bugs and germs or catch things from salad stuff? how are you supposed to clean it properly?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For people with digestive issues, for example IBS, they say to eat your salads at the END of your meal so the lettuce and such has other food around it. That makes it easier to digest. However if that is your ENTIRE meal there is no way of eating it last! Maybe have a few crackers before and see if that helps? I ALWAYS feel that way after a salad.
    As far as cleaning, you MUST wash salad and veggies even if they are in a bag that says they have already been washed. I don't know about the UK, but in the US that is where a lot of e-coli and other gross things comes from, bagged spinach and such. I actually trust the non-bagged stuff more because the insides have never been touched, and I just get rid of the outside leaves (or feed them to my husband [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] )

lol about feeding them to your husband [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I do have IBS so that's interesting - i shall try having something else first to line my stomach then having the salad after to see if it makes a difference.

I finishe work in 10 minutes and can't wait - mt stomachs like a balloon and i look pregnant [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

No I don't trust the bagged stuff either, there's been salmonella and stuff in them a few times here too, so i've been buying whole lettuces and things, I just didn't know if plain cold water was enough to removed any bugs - like what if the pepper or radish picker had an sv* would it still be son the salad?

or is that just me being way too paranoid?! Edited by: paulinek

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have been trying to lose weight forever, and every time I "get back on the wagon", I get bad gas, bloating and d*. I think it's because of the added fiber. I don't like to only eat veggies at a meal; I need some carbs or protein to balance it out.
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I've never been diagnosed with IBS but I find that I can't eat a salad alone without getting those same symptoms. Maybe I do have IBS? Anyway, I have a small salad with a small sandwich instead and it tends to work out better for me. Same concept as eating the salad at the end of the meal I guess.

I've been slowly piling it on over a few months so have decided to do something about it before summer, but yes i've had this trouble before when losing weight all the low fat stuff like pasta, fruit & veg just bloat me up like a balloon...i don't know... i think thats a good idea to add some protein to each meal think will add some ham or tuna to it.

Thanks for your replies and have a nice evening/day [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Right, home time - hooray!! x

In US they do make something called veggie wash, it's like a spray and then you rinse... I'm sure it can't kill noro though, or else I imagine it wouldn't be safe to ingest... I think just rinsing REALLY well is the best you can do. Or eat cooked veggies.

If i do decide to have a salad I will buy the precut and washed bagged stuff, get it home, wash it again and then use it. I will only buy bagged salad from large supermarket chains as they have very tight food handling procedures, this makes me feel safer.

Hope that helps.

Thanks again for your replies - i'm laying off it today, because not wanting to go into too much detail i get IBS where i'm lucky if i go a couple of times a week but yesterday when i got home i went 3 times and again this morning and it was verging on d* and crampy so daren't have any more until it settles.

Then will try it with the protein and see if that helps.

Jenny - I'll have a look and see if there is a similar product over here.

I suppose the only sure fire way of guaranteeing it's cleanliness is to grow your own!

i cant eat cucumber unless i take the outer green edge off it.. it gives me severe gas and bloating and nausea.
    it happens to quite a lot of people
    ****** PROBLEMS CANNOT BE SOLVED AT THE SAME LEVEL OF AWARENESS THAT CREATED THEM...... Albert Einstein

I have IBS as well, and I can relate to all of the symptoms mentioned and confirmed by other people.

I think it happens the most if you don't eat it all the time. I think if you did eat it everyday, you wouldn't have as severe of symptoms after a period. Maybe if you really want to make this stuff a habit, start very small and build up slowly.

Also, I think cooking for some reason makes a huge difference. (Not to mention, it takes care of a lot of germ worries.) I mean some things will still do odd things to you when they're cooked, but even cabbage and onions (particularly onions,) seem to have a lesser effect if they're cooked.

[img]smileys/smilies_13.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by paulinek
    I've gone on a diet [img]smileys/smilies_27.gif[/img] and yesterday made a salad to bring to work, which was really tasty but I ended up with the most awful bloating and windy stomach cramps last night and this morning and i'm sure it was the salad which caused it.

I've perservered and had another one today and the pains are coming back again...I don't normally eat stuff like that, and I have two questions:

1 - If it's cos it's a food my stomach's not used to, if i keep eating it will it get used to it and the pains will stop or does this reaction mean i'll never be able to eat it without getting wind, bloating and pain?

2 - I don't trust bagged salads so have got lettuce, cucumber, radishes etc and done it myself, but is rinsing it under cold water really enough to clean it properly? Can you get bugs and germs or catch things from salad stuff? how are you supposed to clean it properly?

Thanks
    have you ever seen the episode of the simpsons where lisa makes them eat veggies all the time, then everyone but her got s*, if your body is not use to fresh veggies and fruits etc, it can cause cramping, d*. veggies somewhat of a natural lax. you are suppose to take that on kind of slowly at first. hopfully that helps