Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other Phobias?

Hi everyone, I remembered that on the old site there was a whole topic dedicated to Other Phobias that us lot have and it hasn't been put on here so I thought I'd do it....

Mine are spiders, daddy long legs and cockroaches

Edited by: cwarren
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=BLUE>Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carolinexx</font></font>

I fear being in enclosed spaces (Mainly because I can't get out if someone v*s) but I don't think it's a phobia. I'm also afraid of people I don't know.

Hannah, that is a phobia it's called claustrophobia and it doesn't sound very nice to have you poor thing [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=BLUE>Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carolinexx</font></font>

social phobia!

and of course, spiders bleh &gt;.&lt;
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Needles.
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

spiders and all bugs, I only used to be afraid of spiders and now its all creepy crawly things, I don't know why?

Other phobias... Well, not really a phobia, more just like a fear, but I really Daddy Long Legs, I don't mind other spiders, though.
    -Anna

I am one of the few who don't mind spiders or bugs...in fact I used to keep them as pets when I was little! lolz...

I don't think its a phobia, but a fear of hills. Not heights, hills. I avoid them as much as possible but when I go up themI hold my necklace in hand (its a cross) say a prayer and shut my eyes. scary.

Well
    I have one other phobia, in fact I think it might be a little worse
    than my emet. I have necrophobia, I'm not so much fearful of dying
    myself but I am phobic of anything related to death! Funerals, caskets,
    cemeteries, most of all dead bodies!! I have ravines and forests, and
    all of that, I am always obsessing on the possibility corpse lying
    there rotting away! I hate driving by those things because that is the
    first thing that comes to my mind when I see it. I hate walking or
    driving by cememeteries, knowing what is under there. Uggh.

Miriam

</span></font>

Hi,

I dont have any other phobias but like most people I dont like spiders/creepy crawlies - urgh! I dont like the way they move, freaky!
    I also dont like heights or loud noises- none of these are really phobias, I can handlethem with ease, but I just dont like them.

Rachel xxx
    <center><font size=\"2\"><font color=BLACK> If you\'re going through hell... keep on going... </font></font></center>

Hi girls

I have two other phobias, but they are related to my emet:

Agoraphobia: I get nervous when I'm not home afraid to panic in public (and gagging because of it).

Aphobia for the dentist: I really hate the things in my mouth making me gag. And I'm not just a little scared, it really is a big problem because I panic in the chair so the dentist can't do his thing. I have allready been under anesthesia (is that the right word?) twice to have a tooth removed.

Oh and I'm just curious: what are daddy long legs?
    Margaret

*Even a thousand-miles journey starts with a first step*

This is a Daddy Long Leg:

http://ecol.zool.kyoto-u.ac.jp/homep.../gallery/arach nid/images/daddy-long-legs.jpg

They're pretty hard to see if you're just walking around, and they move really fast with those long legs... ick.
    -Anna

I have claustrophobia... I sumetimes feel like Im getting choked
    when Im in a small dark space or a tube..AGHH

I also have agoraphobia malls, cinema, the fair... no way hose.
    If I get a panic attack.. I run out of there as fast as possible..
    but it is cured at night because I can't see as much great isn't
    it?
    I HATE MONTHS..-I'm pretty tough- BUT YOU WILL HEAR ME
    SQUEAL IF ONE LANDS ON ME OR LANDS CLOSE..
    I hate downtown that's where I go to school.. too many people,
    but I love downtown at night I love being out at night its my
    favourite time of day.. or u know.. on an empty stomach
    ofcourse.. [img]smileys/smilies_14.gif[/img] Edited by: hanarky

Hey there!!

Well, this is a very good topic!! I too wish there could be a seperate forum for this, but this thread will have to do!!

Ok well, I have a phobia (not just fear here, but phobia) of loud noises, always have since I was little. Also phobia of like docs (shudders!!) So yeah, there you have it, those are prolly my 2 worst, and the second one is like even worse than emet I think. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Snakes and spiders.

I think spiders are cool--except for poisonous ones like black widows. But when I was a kid, I used to pick up Daddy long-legs and actually pluck their legs off. I was a demented little tomboy. I like snakes too--except the poisonous ones.

But I'm severely claustrophobic. I even get freaked out taking a shower, because the shower curtain makes me feel so trapped. I wish we had a clear glass shower door. I always take the fastest showers known to man.

I am agoraphobic too. Constantly afraid to have a panic attack in public and embarrass myself. I'm also afraid of not being able to find a bathroom if I need it. I have IBS and just going 10 minutes down the road scares me because I wonder, "what if I can't find a bathroom and I suddenly have diarrhea? What if I can't hold it?"

I'm not really social phobic. I can talk to people with no anxiety, but I just worry if there isn't a bathroom nearby.

I have a phobia of the dentist related to the emet, and am also a bit scared of dogs (due to be chasing by one and falling over when I was little) and the dark (as I used to have really bad panic attacks at night and I was too scared to get out of bed to put the light on so the dark reminds me of thosenights although now I sleep with the lamp on) .
    Today is the tomorrow I dreaded yesterday and I\'m ok.

the only other thing im afraid of is public speaking...

and needles(only because i have faint reactions to them, some kind of physical thing)
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

BEES!!!!!

This one and its related panic may be worse than my emet!!!!!!!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

hey all- just have 2 express my self- man this site is great- i'm so glad i just found it!!!

I have a really interesting one- i'm afraid of being afraid!!! every time i get nervous i start panicing i'll be sick (from nerves) so i end up getting morescared that i'll be scared and then get so scared that i might throw up, then the best bit is that if i dont calm down...yup you guessed it...i get sick!!! i'm also an agoraphobe and i'm petrified of eating out! Daddy long leggs are cool though- we get some really cool big ones in South Africa!

I guess emetophobia is bad enough because I don't really have any other phobias, but when I used to have my emetophobia way worse than I do now, I was afraid of the dentist, the subway, exams, etc....anything where I couldn't escape.
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

A phobia that I have besides Emet would have to be BIRDS!!! Although I don't avoid situations because of birds, I do freak out. If they are flying near me, I scream and have a panic attack.

Bees are also a fear of mine. If I feel someting crawling on my neck, I ask someone to check it out because usually I get stung by thinking it's just a piece of hair on my neck and its really a bee, so I end up getting a good stingah to the neck!!!
    Peace,
    Allyson

\"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains And we never even know we have the key\"

\"We are all just prisoners here of our own device\"

Ooo I have a few fears.
    Agoraphobia, claustrophobia, I am terrified of bees and wasps ( I am allergic and when I was 6 I stepped on a nest and they swarmed me), I hate loud noises that startle me (balloons popping, firecrackers), Spiders and millipedes ( I hate any insect that is huge and/ or has lots of legs) they creep me out.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I don't have any other phobias...that I can think of...except my dad
    did get me a bit afraid of bees and wasps...he's allergic and we aren't
    sure if I am or not so I just try to avoid them

I'm
    afraid of bees and wasps too but I wouldnt exactly call it a phobia.
    Most people are afraid of bees and wasps too but I dont go outside
    every September and Ocotober (worst bee and wasp season for us) and
    dwell on if I am going to be stung. In fact whenever there is one near
    me I get nervous but know to stay still, they end us leaving anyway.

Miriam

</span></font>

I honestly wish I could just stay still when a bee is near me. Bumble bees are no problem, it's wasps and hornets that are the actual fear. I get a chill up my spine if I even hear one buzzing (and I swear I can tell the difference between a bee buzz and a fly buzz). I avoid flowers, greenhouses, wearing yellow, etc. in the summer, and right now there are some nasty wasps flying around the ground all over town, and it's freaking me out!!! I can't watch people wear a beard of bees, I would jump out of a vehicle if there were a bee, I cry, I could go on and on, and really it is a fear, because I panic just like emet. Would hypnosis cure that? My parents used to get MAD at me about it when I was a kid, so it probably made it worse by them doing that.....
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

If you find a cure please tell me I am as bad as you. My mom could pick raspberries and climb right into the bushes with them buzzing around. I would go near there and they would start to circle me. They smell fear of course and I was terrified. I must look like a total freak when I swat at the air on my walks.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I have a phobia of Lifts (Elevators) I got stuck in them a lot when I was little and it freaked the hell out of me! Can't do them, always walk up stairs instead. Least it keeps me a lil bit fitter! And planes...dont do them either!!!! I might one day...just not soon! I used to be scared of bugs/spiders and all things creepy but since my sister is scared of them I am designated spider catcher!

Despite my sister being so afraid of pigeons she cried when one "came at her" and avoids the beach in case of seagulls....she still doesn't understand my emet. Weird!
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I
    would think that if anyone would have an intense phobia about something
    else other than emet would have compassion for emets even if they arent
    emetophobic themselves. The fact that they have an intense phobia of
    something would make them appreciate us and understand how we feel. I
    am not sure about the credibility that the Maury Pauvich show has but
    there was a phobia episode and what these people were phobic of were
    what most people would think are "weird", I would never say they are
    weird that is what the quotes are, just unusual. Examples were chalk,
    crayons, hair, clowns (I guess I could see that could be not uncommon).
    However the fact of the matter is even though I am not phobic of the
    above listed I still appreciated what they were going through. Having
    any kind of phobia is hell and my other one is necrophobia, not so much
    death in itself where I am afraid to die but of anything having to do
    with dead bodies. Phobia of elevators is not at all unusual. I remember
    an old episode of Chicago Hope, there was this dr trying to cure this
    man who had an intense phobia of elevators and the man ended up going
    into one at the end of it. So that should make you feel better that its
    more common than you would probably think, that a tv show would be
    created about it.

Miriam

</span></font>

Okay I thought I would add this since this is the appropriate thread:

http://www.phobialist.com/

I think you might be interested in reading what some of these phobias are. Let me know what you think.

Miriam

</span></font>