Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: ipecac

I
    have wondered if one day I have the guts to face how it is like to v, I
    know I sound like I am out of my mind (and that is because I probably
    am lol) I should run to the nearest pharmacy and ask for some syrup of
    ipecac. My emet was triggered by an ipecac experience when I was 4 but
    now I am wondering if I should do this to face it again. I have been
    thinking about this for a long time. I dont know what to do. I am just
    frusterated, and maybe if I v (tried making myself gag and nothing,)
    but with the ipecac there is no turning back. Anyway maybe if I v again
    since I havent v'ed being sober that is since I was 13 (I am 29 now) it
    might help me remember how bad it really isnt more clearly (and yeah I
    do KNOW its not as bad as we make it out to be) for the next time I
    feel like I need to and not panic. I dont know, or am I taking a HUGE
    chance by doing this, either its going to help or do more harm. What do
    you think?

Miriam

</span></font>

i personally wud not risk that.

it may work for about 1% of the community of emets! but its totally up to you if u wanna tke that risk!

al of the times iv v*ed, iv come thru it and sed "that wasnt too bad, what am i afriad of" but... 2 minutes later, the fear has come back.

and i worry, if u were to do that, u'd enoucrage ur fear to come back worse!

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't do it!! I read a very frightening story on the gut reaction website of someone who tried to cure their emetophobia with ipecac. They had a horrifing experience. It's kinda long, so here's the link:

http://www.gut-reaction.freeserve.co.uk/emetic-method.htm

From the experience that that person had, it sounds like ipecac could have the opposite effect, and make you more afraid!!

Danielle

Yeah
    I read that... I have no idea what to do and that is what I am afraid
    of, it making it worse. I cant afford that. Thanks for your input
    anyway *sigh* how frusterating!

Miriam

</span></font>

if ur not 100% sure. dont do it Miriam.

thers plenty of other ways to try and cure ur emetophobia, without the risk of making it 50, 000,000 times worse!!

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

See
    the thing with me is, I dont think I could EVER be around someone or
    looking at someone v'ing unless I dont do it myself first. I know it
    sounds crazy but even if I make myself gag it doesnt work. I have tried
    it so many times. I dont know.

Miriam

</span></font>

dont try and make urself gag and be sick... its not good for ur body anyway!

to try and get over the fear of others v*ing, try exposure therapy instead...

thers gotta be a simpler way of you getting help and overcoming emet than doing that to urself....

Jen xxxxx

MSN:

I
    know but I dont think I can ever have compassion or face anyone who is
    v'ing unless I do it myself first (I havent v'ed being sober that is in
    almost 16 years!!!) I know it sounds crazy but I have somehow for some
    bizarre reason come up with that conclusion. I dont know I think I'm
    going to have to talk to someone about this.

Miriam

</span></font>

Ahh I read that story before - how horrible!

Miriam, its entirely ur decision what u decide to do, but please take into account the risks of going through with this procedure and the fact that it would probably be a thousand times more distressing v* experience than if u were to v* of natural causes.

I say it all the time I know but, this phobia really can be overcome without putting urself through terrible situations such as those, but as I mentioned, its up to u at the end of the day!

Let us know what u decide to do!

Rachel xxx
    <center><font size=\"2\"><font color=BLACK> If you\'re going through hell... keep on going... </font></font></center>

I think that the outcome can be different from this case that we
    just read.. Id be terrified to vomit with solid food..
    The whole point is to bring up something that isvidible as
    vomit...
    Id drink ornage or cranberry juice or something that has to be
    digested like fruit or veggies.. Ill try it once.. i have to face this
    on my own too and then in case it ever happens out of the blue
    Ill have mor controll over it..
    That may not be intirely true though...
    Its your choice.. remeber not all vomiting in unpleasantt..

Almost everyone I've heard of that tries this is sorry afterward. Occasionally the fear lessens for a VERY short time (sometimes even only a day), just as it does when an emet vomits from a virus or poisoning, but over the long-term this does more harm than good.

You MAY get to the point where you can get sick yourself (somehow), but it will be through a structured, gradual program of exposure to this stimulus, guided by a competent and trusted professional. As for me, I was cured without having to make myself sick - I didn't vomit for years afterward, and when I did I was fine and have been ever since. But it took a lot of work over a number of years - I don't think you can "short-cut it" by just barfing up ipecac on one day.

Please know that there is a lot of good treatment out there - seek it out (put your energy into that, instead of fretting about the ipecac). Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Thanks Sage, I will take that into account but I am still really confused.

Miriam

</span></font>

Oh my god... that article... I am going to show that to my parents, since they think the solution to my fear is for me to throw up. My Dad once said if I couldn't control myself, he was just going to put some of that into my food someday... *shudders*
    -Anna

oh my gosh... i hope ur dad never does! he shudnt even threaten that!! =S

Jen xxxx

MSN:

lots of desperate relatives of emets "threaten" this - they really do think it will help, and I say desperate cuz they are usually beside themselves in feeling helpless towards us. The article I wrote (info for professionals) also talks about this idea, and the dangers or uselessness of it.

As for the desperate relatives, they need to know that such an action will make you worse, and you need to ask for their assurance that they will not try it.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

No
    one has ever threatened me with it. I am glad but my family think its
    silly and rediculous and I cant say I expect them to understand since
    if you are not going through something that someone else is, you cant
    understand it but... for Heaven sake, be more compassionate! Right?

Miriam

</span></font>

right.

my dad has sed stuff before, like "just make urself sick, then ull be ok" and he wlks around the house making sick noises.

i have to say, its not because hes desperate and doesnt know how to help me. itsbecause to him, this is all a big joke. hes very small minded. think mentally ill ppl are " dumb".

hes not tryin to help. nah ah.

Jen xxxx

MSN: