Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Mcdonalds

I ate at mcdonalds on tuesday. I had a mcchicken, fries and a dr.pepper. I felt completely fine until i got on the bus. about 2 blocks into the ride, i started getting really n* and my stomach contents kept coming into my throat and i kept burping. i got off of the bus and came extremely close to v* as i walked off the bus. i sat on the curb and took a bunch of deep breaths(which usually calms me down so im not as n*) but it made it worse so i tried walking and i was panicing so bad that i passed out. the next thing i knew, i was in an ambulance!!!! ahhhh. im 8 months pregnant, so they automatically assumed it was something to do with my pregnancy. i begged them for some zofran and to let me go home. they gave me the zofran, but kept me in the hospital for 3 hours because they didnt believe that i wasnt having contractions and that i just sometimes panic to the point of my body shuting down. (happens every time im alone and n*) it was the closest ive ever been to v* since my last episode. it was terrifying and im NEVER eatting mcdonalds again!!!
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."

I recently had mcdonald's and it tortured me for hours! Never again! Hope you're feeling better now....that's a scary experience you had.

I hear you on the McD's front, but it also very likely it was because your baby is taking up so much space. I had brutal GERD when I was pregnant with my son. I couldn't eat more than a palmful of food without it splashing back up!!! Chances are the food was too greasy, the soda had caffeine (which heightens reflux), and the baby was pressed up against your stomach.
    It can be frustrating when ppl won't believe you. Just because you're pregnant doesn't mean it's your pregnancy causing your "complications," right? At least they let you go home.
    When I was pregnant with my middle child, her heartbeat was a little fast so they made me stay overnight! I panicked and spiked a fever for 30 min and begged for a fan and some ice water, which they gave me. They thought I had an infection or something, and I told them I was just panicking. I still had to stay overnight! Away from my hubby of course because he was home with our son.
    What's worse is after she was born, she had to be under the lights because she had a hematoma on her little noggin. I had to stay as well because I was nursing. They were going to have me stay in this tiny, cramped office because the floor was full, but then I started having d* from the stress, so they finally let me sleep in one of the beds in their overflow room (which has like 6 beds, I think). I felt much better after that, but checked on the baby every hour or so.
    I hope you're feeling better now. When are you due?

When I was pregnant with my son I ate Burger King and had about the same
    result as you, save for passing out. Fast food is a killer!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] (Unfortunately a
    tasty one though)
    Life is so worth living.

I get sick allmost every time I eat McDonalds. But I still eat it for some reason.

I have never fainted. But I am allways afraid I will. That must have been so scary to wake up in an ambulance. I can't even imagine it.

I hope your feeling better and stay away from that McDonalds!! It's got a little bit of evil in it I think. Lol. [img]smileys/smilies_38.gif[/img]

You know, my emetophobia and years of fear were completely caused by mcdonalds. Several years ago, I ate french fries from mcdonalds and I became violently and repeatedly ill that night. I've relived this night over and over in my head for years as well as talk about it extensively in therapy. Since then, my phobia has fluctuated from always present to paralyzing. Before this incident (thats how I like to refer to it) I never had any anxiety about my stomach etc....... I absolutely hate McDickheads with a passion. If you don't v**** from there food you will pay for it with a heart attack eventually.

Just out of curiosity, I've been curious about Zofran for quite a while. Did you ask for it because it is supposed to be safe during pregnancy. I have always used compazine and I think that does the job.. Sorry for this long rambling post, but I just really detest mcdonalds...

Quote Originally Posted by mravenez
    Several years ago, I ate french fries from mcdonalds and I became violently and repeatedly ill that night.
    What year was that??? Because I, too, had a horrible violently ill night years back from McD's. I know it was from their food because my dogs became ill as well.... *shudder*

Well, I believe that it was in 2001. Its amazing how I forgot the date yet I can recall the night with such extreme detail that it horrifies me.

Erm...how do you KNOW it was the actual food? You can't get fp* from french fries so it had to be viral.

How do you know it wasn't that you had got the noro virus on your hands and then ate it? Unless you washed your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds thoroughly and didn't touch anything at all before eating it then you can't 100% be sure there was anything wrong with the food itself.

I also got noro a day after a trip to McD's but I don't for one minute blame the food, i blame myself for not washing my hands and only using an alcohol based hand sanitizer, which i found out later doesn't kill viruses!

Alot of emets have huge trouble eating out, and i only started eating McDonalds myself in the last 6 months and I don't think it's helpful to blacklist places like this and potentially frighten people into having yet another place they're scared to go.

I'm sorry you both got ill lilke that though it sounds horrific and something none of us on here would ever want to have to go through.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree with you Paulinek! I don't think you can actually get fp* from french fries? [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img] It definitely sounds like you had noro!

I adore McDonalds and have been going there since I was a kid. I don't think i've ever gotten ill from their food!

I agree also. I've eaten there soo many times when I was little, like 2 hamburgers a day, and never have gotten sick. Mabe the grease doesn't agree with someones stomach or something. I know some foods don't agree with my mothers stomach which makes her feel bad but doesn't make her v*. Big franchises like that have to be careful to make sure people don't get sick I would think.

Ate McDonalds for lunch today.I try not to go for the heart attack, I had a fruit and walnut salad, a few fries from my husbands meal and a diet coke.Never been sick from any restaurant....knock on wood.

McDonalds is actually one of my "safe" places.I think they are pretty thorough with their inspections, again because they are a large chain and have a lot to lose.

Just my opinion. =)

A.Freaking.Mazing. It's just wild what some of us emets go through.
    Seventeen-year-old Madeleine, from Rhode Island

Well, to be technical, you can get contaminated from any sort of food that wasn't handled properly. I know that my mother also had a few of the french fries and was ill the next day as well (though not as badly as I was)... I can remember laying in bed the entire next day with a fever shaking and halucinating. We both could have had noro or it could have been a coincidence. Maybe the oil that they used had been there for quite a long time, but there is really no way to know for sure at this point. The fact of the matter is, the association is still there unfortunately. I can't even smell anything that slightly smells like french fries and not get a shaky feeling after all of this time. Still, it was not my intention to try to scare other people from eating in a restaurant they enjoy. It just so happens that McDonalds happens to be a bad sore spot with me

Anthony

I've had fast food for practically my whole life and never once became ill..I won't touch it now that I am all paranoid.I just cannot trust food I have not witnessed being cooked.

Most food poisoning is actually sv's...
    Facebook: Kayla Rose Matheney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anthony - I know what you mean about foods you have eaten directly before getting s* (whether it was them that caused it or not) still bringing back the memory years later....I won't list them in case it puts other people off them but I've got quite a few foods i won't touch any more and even smelling them or seeing someone else eat them turns my tum [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] It's completely not rational but it's hard to get over the fear and actually eat those things again...

Ah, That sucks. It's those D*mn Teenagers who work there they don't fully cook the food!!
    Life is a wonderful ride.

I was wondering if maybe the oil that they cooked the fries in was rancid....

Quote Originally Posted by virgo_witch
    Most food poisoning is actually sv's...
    I have actually heard that it's quite the opposite. People think they have the "24 hour flu" when in fact, it's from food.
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Well I am not sure if I am right, but most cases of fp I have heard of begin at
    least 4-6 hours after eating the contaminated food, as with norovirus,
    maybe 12-48 hours after. I have never gotten ill from fast food, save for
    reaaaaaaaly bad indigestion from a few. Rock and roll McDonalds.
    Life is so worth living.

It's true that most "food poisoning" is actually worker contamination of the food with norovirus. People think it's food poisoning because only those who ate the same thing get sick.

Sickness from spoiled food is pretty rare these days.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

hmmm. im sure that it had nothing to do with food poisoning or sv* im just paranoid and it was extremely scary to me!!!
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."

I've noticed that now that i'm 28 and have started trying to eat healthier(protein shakes, egg whites, wholegrains, fruits, lean mean, veggies, etc)that whenever I have fastfood now it takes quite a toll on my system. Especially close to my period. I get those nasty sinus type headaches that make you nauseated and cause you to be sick. It's really taught me to not abuse my body by feeding it crap because most of the time I pay the price for it [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I used to LIVE off of fastfood too so I guess it's just my bodies way of saying STOP! I certainly don't enjoy headaches and nausea. In fact when we DO eat out at say a restraunt and I opt for a burger and fries I am less likely to try and finish my food now. I only eat until i'm satisfied and don't try and cram it in just because there is so much left and we paid for it. If I did that i'd be waaay to panicked that I would feel sick on the ride home. In fact the last time we ate at Hardrock out here I got a burger and ate a little more than half of it, didn't finish my fries but was so panicked with the idea that I MIGHT feel sick that I DID start to feel sick. I spent the entire ride home breathing very deeply and trying to tune my husband out because he kept asking me questions and i'm like ugh stop talking LOL thankfully I made it home and was not sick.

Fries have to be pretty safe. They come right out of the oil and go into your bag with the metal scooper. No worker handles them directly after they come out of the oil.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Yup - just don't eat them with your hands! Add a milkshake...they don't touch anything with those either, and the straws are covered in paper in our area anyway.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Wow ... I agree with the consensus .. I can't fathom how french fries could give you fp*. I've eaten at many fast food joints repeatedly and (knock wood) never gotten ill.

McDonalds is awful for the stomach...I still eat it now and again if I feel brave but it has given me more than my fair share of n* problems.