Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wisdom Teeth

eek! i was supposed to have mine out today... but i got a concussion last sunday, and i guess they were worried about knocking me out... so i guess i got off easy?

i'm still nervous as hell... bah - make it go away!

yeah, they asked me if i was emotionally strong enough to go through with it...lol. i said...um i'm not going through this torture of worrying for weeks on end, take them out NOW!

When do you go now then teamchick?
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

So I'm feeling kinda yucky. I don't know if the advils are giving me constipation, but I think that's what's wrong! My stomac doesn't feel so good, I'm worried about all the meds I'm taking, and the penicillen has the side effect of V* and diareah!

So I'm all worried now, I think I'm going to take a gravol. This has just messed up my system! I haven't gone to the bathroom for 2 days, I haven't eaten much, so when I eat I feel sickly! UGH.

Did any of you go through this? I dunno what to do about the constipation.
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

Update: I'm STILL feeling s***ty. My mouth is still SO SORE. I called my doctor last night in a panick, because my neck was starting to hurt, I was so tensed up, I think I was making myself sick. She told me it was all the pressure on the jaw andmuscles (they areall connected) while they were working in my mouth.I went in this morning, and she assurued me everything was okay, but I'm still not convinced. It's taking longer than I expected to get better. I'm missing work tonight, and most likely all weekend.

I am glad I never have to go through this hell again. I can see the holes on the bottom, and feel the stiches, and it makes me feel soo sick. UGh.

Anywho, How long did it take for it to fully feel better? anyone?

Hey!

Remember you made it through... you did it and though it may not feel like it at the moment, you WILL feel better!

Yes, I still felt pretty s***y at the time you are now and one of the reasons was just what you're talking about with the holes. See... I don't talk about those things unless they happen to you asnot to frighten you beforehand. Try not too look at them, or even think about them (I know it's hard, but do things you like doing and try your best). Actually the time I felt the worst was when I was talking about before with having to pull the stitch out of the roof of my mouth... for some reason that made me really queasy, i think more from mere thought than anything else. Other than that I was kinda weak and stuff from not having the food I was used to.

Make sure you're still eating plenty and try not to eat solid foods for a while longer if you're hurting still. Try creamed soups like cream of chicken or cream of potato (those are both pretty good). Try not to eat things that can get lodged in the holes because that can cause pain too. Put heat (I used ahot cloth)on your jaw and neck (I had quite a bit of neck pain and stiffness as well)at 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off for several hoursand just relax and watch a movie or something.

It's only been four days and I'll be completely honest in saying that the worst wasn't overuntil about day 5 or 6 (You're ALMOST THERE!), when the swelling went away completely and I could eat somea little better and open my mouth a tad more. Then, I felt much, much better after about a week and a half. Jaw pain may stick around for a while, especially when you eat something really tough, but it should really dull down and be much more bareable.

As far as being queasy from the sight and thought, the stitches should come out soon and you'll get used to the holes in your mouth because they'll heal up more everyday. Once you can really start brushing the areas again (which you still shouldn't be doing by the way) you'll feel a lot better. Remember to do the salt water rinseafter EVERY meal! It's really important to keeping the areas clean! I know the taste drove me CRAZY. Also, try getting a small piece of chewing gum and chew it VERY lightly with ONLYyour front teeth... it can help the taste, and work out your jaw a bit.

Feel free to ask me any other questions... I'm totally here for ya and know what you're going through... no it's not fun, but you WILL get through it and I must reiterate thatyou will NEVER have to go through it again!

Feel Better :O)

~Rachel
    My journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

HEY. thanks!! Yeah, I'm still sooo sore. I have to go to work tommorow, I have a doctors note, but I'm going to try to get out of it. I' not feeling very good at all!

I have been eating, forcing myself and such. Lots of soup withveggies and chicken and such.

But oh MAN does my neck and back feel tense. That's the part that's scaring me, even though the doctor said what it was!!! GRR. I'm putting ice on it, because I like ice alot better than heat, I find it helps me more!

Anywho, I'm going to go go sleep now I guess, I'll update tommorow!

STILL IN PAIN. after 6 days. I have a headache too. bleh.

Hey,

I'm sorry you're still in so much pain... it WILL go away eventually... it just takes a while. You have to think that wisdom teeth removalis quite an invasive procedure when it comes to your poor mouth and it will definitely take time to heal. As far as pain goes, are you having like jaw and neck pain as in muscle pain or a stinging burning kind of pain? If it's muscle pain perhaps your dentist can perscribe you a muscle relaxer as mine did because I'm terrible at clenching my jaws when I sleep, stress can make you do that. (Oh, and it didn't make me nauseous or anything).

Other than that, just hang in there... my dentist actually told me not to use ice after the first couple of days because ice can increase muscle tension... apparently that's why they recommend heat, so you may try the heat again... or just lukewarm if you don't care for it being hot... it really helped me.

Thinking of you!
    ~Rachel
    My journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

Thanks Rachel!

Yeah It's mostly just stiff and really tense. I find it hard to sleep because my shoulders curl up and feel all tense and sore. Ugh.

Yesturday at work, I had to leave early 'cause I felt so sick. It will have been one week tommorow, so hopefully I'm on the road to recovery! I'm still scared of getting dry sockets though, does that happen right at the beginning? Also, friends at work told me it took them upwards of 2 weeks to feel completely better! So that I shouldn't worry.

urgh - i have to have mine out tomorrow morning and i am absolutely terrified.

everyone keeps saying 'oh, it's not so bad - i was a little sick from the anaesthetic, but nothing major'

oh great, nothing major. only my worst nightmare? fab. can't wait.

[img]smileys/smilies_29.gif[/img]

Oh Kaff....

Please don't feel that way! I won't lie and say it's the most fun thing I ever did, nor will I tell you that it's not in the least bit painful, cause let's face it, it is... but you CAN do it and you WILL be okay!

CrazyBeautiful isn't having the easiest time with it right now, but I promised her, and I'll promise you that once it's over you can look back on it and be happy that you overcame at least a little part of your fears and you can also have the knowledge that you will never again have to have your wisdom teeth removed. It's not like kidney stones which you can get over and over again, or cancer that can come back regardless of treatment, which thankfully albeit not thankful for the people who suffer from cancer, only happens in rare instances... it's something that almost EVERY single person HAS to go through, and once you go through it... it's done. Those wisdom teeth aren't going to grow back no matter how hard they try!

I think everyone feels a bit weak and sore for a week or two after the procedure... it's normal. I mean you are having teeth cut out of yourjaw... it's not going to be pleasant, but I only know of one or two out of MANY, MANY,MANYpeople who actually got sick and that was from the pain killers, not the procedure itself and everyone has lived totell the tale and none of them have had any long term side effects. YOU CAN DO IT!!! If you have any questions and concerns we are here for you!

GOOD LUCK! Let us know how it goes!
    ~Rachel

P.S. Crazybeautiful, Dry sockets can occur up to a week after the procedure,and trust me when I say you would definitely know if you had one! As far as the antibiotic goes, you more than likely are having bowel problems from your diet right now, just make sure you drink plenty of fluids and never take the antibiotic on an empty stomach.
    My journal

wink

Unknown

Kaff,

I agree with Rachel, it's not the MOST fun thing ever....but you can do it. I did!

Right now I feel really uncomfortable because the stiches are starting to come out. bleh!! I can feel the top onekinda digging into my cheek, and it's really annoying!! One fell out yesturday, and my jaw is just a bit stiff today. I'm worried that I have a dry socket or something! It's kinda sore still, and when I look inside, the holes are red and such. Ugh, sorry!

Kaff, Let us know how it goes tommorow, and this is an idea....ask your doctor to give you some gravol through the IV so you won't throw up, I had that done, and I didn't get sick at all! Most people don't. I've only heard of a couple people who have.

Anywho, good luck and take care ok??

everyone assumes i'm scared of the pain, or of not waking up from the anaesthetic. they can understand that. but i'm not scared of that at all...

but i've been in so much pain with these teeth for so long, that i reckon even if it hurts like hell after, at least i know it'll heal in time. cause the way it is at the moment, i've been in agony for months, with no hope of the pain going away.

and as for not waking up, i figure if you're gonna die, best time in the world to die is when you're unconscious - you won't feel a thing.

and then the throwing up thing. you know how it is. 50 people can tell you they didn't, but if just one of them says they did, it's worth worrying about.

i wasn't actually nervous at all until today. handling it quite well, in fact. and i suppose it's natural to be scared.

but still, eeek.

I'm sure you'll be fine! Like I said, talk to your doctor about the gravol. If you have any questions, Rachel and myself (Michelle) are here to answer away for you!!!

Heres an update: It's been a week and a day. I finally got out of the house today, I forced myself to go for a walk, tan, and go to the mall. haha. once I was there I didn't have to force myself to buy anything!

I'm still sore kinda, and stiff. Like when I try and smile it feels all stiff and weird. Ugh. And some more stiches fell out today, that was gross!

YEA! I'm glad to hear you are finally starting to feel better! I totally agree with the shopping thing. I have an away message that says

"Hey guys, I'm at the mall buying LOADS of stuff I can't afford. If the creditors call, tell them I'm not home. If this is a creditor... all that was code for 'I'm hard at work making money to pay you back!'" HEHE!!

The soreness will get a little better with each passing day... remember to keep giving your jaw a bit of exercise so it doesn't get to stiff!

I'm proud of ya! See... YOU ARE MAKING IT!

~Rachel
    My journal

wink

Unknown

i survived. woo. the only time i felt even slightly sick was in the run up to the surgery when i was scared s***less.

yesterday i felt fine. this morning i have woken up with one cheek immensely swollen, and my jaw is really stiff. i can barely open my mouth, and it really hurts to swallow. i'm supposed to take painkillers and anti-biotics, but i'm crap at taking pills at the best of times, and with my mouth just open a crack, it's not gonna happen. hmmm.

glad you're feeling better. i hope i am this time next week [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

Hey Glad to hear it went okay!!! You should try to take your meds, they'll do wonders!! What did they give you?

Definatly take the antibiotics.The painkillers are just a bonus for you so that you don't have to suffer but the antibiotics are going to make sure things do'nt get infected. You don't want that to happen. The pain killers will help with the inflamation so you can open your mouth more to drink and eat. Icecream and cold cold yogurt are awsome. So are popsicles.
    Make sure to put hot compresses on your face it will feel really ice and help with the swelling. Even a heating pad will help. I am glad that you made it through it all ok and the worst is over now pretty much. You are home now and in a comforatable surrounding.
    Keep your mind busy when you can so that you aren't focusing on the pain.
    Big hugs and best of luck
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybeautiful
    You should try to take your meds, they'll do wonders!! What did they give you?

amoxycillin and then just ibuprofen for the pain. they said i shouldn't need anything stronger, and they were right.

have managed to take 2 full days worth of pills now, and am feeling so much better. the morning after was horrid, but later that day i started feeling a lot better, and now i'm feeling not too bad at all. i still have a very big cheek, but it doesn't hurt to talk or swallow anymore, and i can open my jaw about a finger's width. woo!

eating still poses a slight problem, but i have stocked up on loads of soft stuff that won't take much chewing. cheese ravioli with tomato sauce tonight [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]and i can't wait. i am SO hungry. mash and gravy is fun for a while, but it's not properfood.

anyway, thanks for all your kind words, and for anyone reading this and crapping their pants about having their teeth out - it's not that bad! obviously there are things i'd rather have done this week, but it was nowhere near as bad as i was imagining.

Great to hear you are feeling better! Sounds like you are making a quicker recovery than I did. LOL! Anywho, Take care of that mouth!!!

hehe, i'm generally pretty resilient, and recover from things quickly *touches all the wood in the room, even the wood-effect stuff*.

plus i only had 2 teeth out, and only the bottom one was impacted. the top one just popped out like any other tooth.

and i was in so much pain with the bottom tooth before, like real agony, for 4 months, that what i'm feeling now is just relieving. it's stiff and a little sore now rather than actually painful. every so often i do something that tugs on my stitches, and that hurts, but i soon learn not to do it again.

Gooooood stuff! Maybe because I had 4 out that were impacted, lol, it took so long for me!!!

Rachel!!! It's been a week and 3 days! Was it still stiff for you? I can open my mouth completely now, just feels kind of stiff still. No pain though! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I looked at the holes, lol, and showed my mom. She said they looked "nice and red and healing". HAHA ugh.

But yeah, that's the update for now. I have 2 friends who went through it recently too!

I think you are both doing fine! I had all four impacted wisdom teeth out under general anaesthetic 18 years ago - I looked like a hamster that had gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson for the first week, and I couldn't speak or laugh as my jaw was so stiff. Then the bruising on my face sort of 'split' and spread across my shoulders and down my boobs - attractive!! I had two weeks off work. About 6 months after my surgery, (I was a student nurse at the time) I did a session in the operating theatre with the surgeon who removed my teeth - I watched him take ONE tooth out, remarked that I now knew EXACTLY why I was so uncomfortable after mine were done, then left the room and could not watch any more!! Everybody in the theatre (including me) found it really funny that, after all the other operations I had watched, wisdom teeth was the one I was sqeamish about - the surgeon was really nice about it though, and even inspected my 'gaps' to check on his handy-work! My biggest problem after it had all healed was what my dentist called my 'peanut trap' - one of the teeth left quite a 'hole' in my gum in which food would get trapped, so I had to be careful to check it after every meal. It took a couple of years to fully 'fill up' again, but it was just a nuisance, nothing harmful at all.

Keep going girls - you are well on the road to recovery, and I was soooooo much more comfortable without those damned teeth that every little scrap of pain was worth it.

Best wishes, Jill xxx

Hey Jill!

Thanks for the advice! I'm feeling much better, my right side is more sore than left, and it's more of a dull annoyance rather than pain. I didn't even get that swollen and no bruising at all. Only on my hand where they had to the IV in.

yus. i am doing pretty well today. i've graduated from mashed potato and soup to pasta and soggy toast. joy to the world.

i can open my mouth wide enough to have a peek now (and clean the teeth next to the ones taken out. my god they needed it) and i have stitches all the way up the inside of my cheek [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]not sure why. it all looks lovely and healing though, and i haven't really needed my painkillers at all today (have taken half doses just to help the swelling, cause i'm still very puffed up). my jaw is mightily stiff though. i keep laughing too energetically and opening it wider than it really wants to open. i'm guessing that'll go in time though. it's only been 3 days.

You sound like you're doing well!! Keep up the aftercare and you should be fine.

It's been 10 days for me, and I'm feeling good. Just a tad stiff.

I'm keeping this thread mighty healthy and alive with my questions and concerns. lol!!

Anywho, today my bottom left side teeth are sore. Weirdness! When I swallow or bite down really hard it just kinda aches. =/

Not sure why, it's kinda achey as I type this too, I've taken a couple Ibuprophens, I'm really hoping it feels 100%better soon!! It's been 11 days now!

Hey Again!

Sorry I didn't post earlier and respond to you on the 3rd... got kinda side tracked with transferinguniversities and whatnot(BLEH).

I was pretty stiff for several weeks... it never really hurt as in the incisions were stinging and burning like a normal cut on any other part of your body would... but rather like you said, it just felt really sore and a dull throbbing type pain. Actually... my lower right jaw has been bothering me here within the past few weeks again in the same area and I'm not sure if I've been clenching my teeth again or what but it's annoying! I plan to ask the dentist when I go in at the end of this month.

But yeah... you should really be feeling quite a bit better soon... I think the worst pain for me as far as the throbbing goes (the first few days were def. the most painful overall)was sometime in the second week (where you are now) when it was really starting to heal up.

It's important to remember that when you have a permanent tooth removed not only is there a hole in your gum, but there's also a hole in your jawbone. It can take several weeks for that hole to fill in and be smoothed over with bone and during that time it's likely that you'll have some stiffness and sorness. As long as you aren't having extreme pain then everything sounds pretty normal

~Rachel

My journal

wink

Unknown