Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I'm in college, which inevitably means that a lot of
    drinking is involved and we all know what that leads to.

A couple of nights my roommate came home after a
    night of drinking and I could tell she was really drunk so
    I asked her if she felt like she wanted me to hand her the
    trash can and she said no but then a minute later she
    asked for it and I threw it to her and RAN out of there.
    Everyone was judging me for not taking care of her and
    making other people empty the bin but at the same time
    I was having a huge panic attack and could NOT be in
    there.

Does anyone else have problems like this?? No one gets
    that I just can't be there/deal with that.

Oh my god. Luckily, my parents are wealthy enough to help me out and I live alone with one other girl who doesn't party. However my boyfriend lived with this AWFUL guy for an entire year last year. He'd invite stupid high school girls over in the dead of night on week nights and they'd get so drunk that they'd v* everywhere. My bf's room was also right next to the bathroom which was awful... There was even one occasion when I crawled out of his bedroom window to get away from the sounds. It was miserable. I'm really glad he doesn't live with that guy anymore.

As for how to deal with it, I'd just say f*** those people who are judging you. The only person you need to worry about is your roommate, who probably doesn't even remember it. And if she does, and she's upset I'd just calmly explain to her that you have a phobia, if you haven't already. Good luck!Edited by: classycaro1
    Crayon

I used to try to hide that I had this phobia and if I ever did start to panic or have to leave a situation, I'd make up an excuse or pretend to be having some type of a personal problem. Now, I just don't care, ha. All of my friends know that I have this phobia. I try to make light of it because I know there are some people who are judgmental about phobias/mental illness in general. Regarding bad experiences I have had in the past with people being sick around me - I retell the stories and I do so with humor and try to make it entertaining. (Because how can you not find the humor in letting out a scream in the middle of an algebra final?)

No one has ever said I was a bad person because of it, and if they did, I'd totally give them an attitude about it. Everyone has their "thing" and that's my thing. I don't want anything to do with it and I don't really care what anyone thinks. It's not like I'm afraid of clowns or birds. It's something certifiably disgusting.

Luckily I had a hermit for a roomie my freshman year who never went out and drank. She was also never sick in general.

This year I was going to get a single, but am rooming with my best friend instad. She doesn't drink and is rarely sick, so I don't worry. Also, we have a few private bathrooms, so I can't be in there when someone else is getting sick. It's like a few single bathroom, not one big communal one.

None of my friends know about this fear, only my boyfriend knows. I kinda told my mom, but I don't think she took it seriously. I'm still kinda in the closet about it all.

I know it's hard, but don't let people get to you. We know that it's irrational, but we can't help it. So many people suffer from phobias. I hear my friends laugh at certain ones and it just reinforces my fear in telling them. You shouldn't feel ashamed.

Default Re: Friends/Roommates

My roommate last year (and part of this year before I had to leave school) told me last year that if ever I was s* at school, to tell her and she'd clean the v* out of the trash can so I didn't freak out further. Also in the middle of the night she felt very s* and went into the bathroom for a bit to make sure she wouldn't v* in the room while I was sleeping.

I thought both of these things were very sweet of her.
    I don't get along with myself
    and I'm not too keen on anyone else
    <3

It's really not an uncommon or strange phobia. If you just tell people about it and how they can help, there are plenty of people who will understand!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Once at school, the girl in front of me suddenly turned in her desk and started deep breathing, and said she felt like the might get sick. I interrupted the class and moved to the back of the room, and a few kids where sarcastically like, "wow, what an awesome friend". I was embarrassed, and I'm sure the girl was kind of embarrassed too, but I just couldn't help it, and I knew a lot of people just wouldn't get why I moved.

that is a true friend......lucky you

Quote Originally Posted by summer33 View Post
    I'm in college, which inevitably means that a lot of
    drinking is involved and we all know what that leads to.

A couple of nights my roommate came home after a
    night of drinking and I could tell she was really drunk so
    I asked her if she felt like she wanted me to hand her the
    trash can and she said no but then a minute later she
    asked for it and I threw it to her and RAN out of there.
    Everyone was judging me for not taking care of her and
    making other people empty the bin but at the same time
    I was having a huge panic attack and could NOT be in
    there.

Does anyone else have problems like this?? No one gets
    that I just can't be there/deal with that.
    So you’re supposed to deal with her mess, the mess that she got herself into? ...Screw that! If she gets drunk she needs to deal with it. The choice to get drunk was hers. She is not your responsibility.