Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Nice to Know I'm Not Alone.

Yesterday was the worst!! I'm an elementary teacher who has suffered with this awful phobia since I was 4 or 5 years old. Normally, if I'm in a situation where someone v* I begin shaking, crying, and the diarrhea starts. I work myself into a complete panic attack thinking about the fact that I might get sick. I can't help my students (or anyone else for that matter) when they're ill. I feel so mean afterwards. These little kids are standing there wanting me to comfort them and I just can't do it. I run out of the room. It's more than just germs for me though, because I react the same way if someone is sick at an amusement park, bar, airplane, etc.
    This past weekend I had heard of a few people's children being sick. On Monday a few of my students went home with stomachaches. Apparently, my mind never stopped thinking about this. Tuesday morning I was taking my kids to the babysitter and started feeling extremely anxious about my daughter going to school being around children who might get sick. Within minutes I had made myself physically sick. I felt a large lump in my throat. When I got to the babysitter's house I knew I was going to v*. I walked out to the street and dry*. Someone happened to be arriving at the same time, so they got my children in for me. I drove to a parking lot and just cried.

I don't know what to do. This phobia completely takes over my mind. Has anyone tried hypnosis? I'm willing to try anything. Already tried therapy a few years back. It didn't do anything for me. Unfortunately, it's getting worse!!

Default Re: Nice to Know I'm Not Alone.

Its alredy taken over my life and im going to try hypnotherapy soon but your definately not alone

Wow what a sad story. I hope you can take comfort in the fact that I was exactly the same as what you describe. In fact, I was a complete basket case! Anyway I spent a good deal of time with a couple of wonderful therapists and now I'm completely anxiety-free no matter what the situation. So that's good news!

Check out some articles that I've written which will be on this site shortly. Right now I've set them up on a little website: http://www.emetophobiahelp.blogspot.com
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I understand exactly the panic. I tried self-hypnosis for this particular problem but did not continue it long enough for it to set a new pattern in my subconscious mind. That is what I do everytime I get serious about getting rid of this problem, I start out with such determination then quickly terminate it for some reason. I don't know why I don't stick with the program.
    I'm a hypnocoach so I use clinical hypnotherapy on others but I've never had anyone come to see me for this problem.
    I think hypnosis can definitely work but you have to definitely be very consistent with doing it every day for at least 21 days in order to incorporate a new way of thinking.

I'm an elementary school teacher as well. Years ago, when I was picking a career, I almost bypassed teaching because I knew that I would have to deal with children v*ing. Every year it happens. And every time I panic and don't help the child and feel terrible afterwards.

The other day one of my students v*ed right in front of me on the rug. I panicked (of course) and tried to run away from him. My skirt got caught in the chair I was sitting in and I fell against the nearby wall. My other students were looking at me like I was crazy. Even in my state of panic, I had to laugh at the situation. But I've felt sick ever since and can't stop obsessing about catching the bug (three students were out today).

This website is amazing. I'm tearing up reading that there are others like me out there. I never knew.

Here's one of the wackiest thing I do: When I go into a public restroom I always look under the stalls to see which way people's feet are facing. If any are facing the toilet, I run.

Quote Originally Posted by salevine485 View Post
    I'm an elementary school teacher as well. Years ago, when I was picking a career, I almost bypassed teaching because I knew that I would have to deal with children v*ing. Every year it happens. And every time I panic and don't help the child and feel terrible afterwards.

The other day one of my students v*ed right in front of me on the rug. I panicked (of course) and tried to run away from him. My skirt got caught in the chair I was sitting in and I fell against the nearby wall. My other students were looking at me like I was crazy. Even in my state of panic, I had to laugh at the situation. But I've felt sick ever since and can't stop obsessing about catching the bug (three students were out today).

This website is amazing. I'm tearing up reading that there are others like me out there. I never knew.

Here's one of the wackiest thing I do: When I go into a public restroom I always look under the stalls to see which way people's feet are facing. If any are facing the toilet, I run.
    That's exactly the same thing I do when I go to a public restroom!! And if I am in a stall and the only one in there and someone walks in and goes into a stall I begin to panic thinking there might be a chance that they will be sick and especially if I hear them cough.