Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Cool Something weird I want to share

Okay this is weird, and I'm not putting it in the private section because I'm not ashamed of it (not saying that's why people put things in the private section, I guess I'm trying to say that I don't really mind if some random visitor reads this) **TRIGGER WORDS FOLLOW**

There's an episode of House called Airborne. In it a lot of people vomit. There is one part where Cuddy (my favorite character on current TV) is helping out House. He keeps saying that the guy who is sick doesn't have meningitus (SP?) and Cuddy is convinced that's what it is. Before this specific viewing I had seen the episode once before.

So I'm watching and I know Cuddy is going to vomit. Right before she does she says, "House! HOUSE! You're wrong!" and then...BLECH! It was weird though because right before she vomited my stomach did this little excited flutter. I'm not saying I got aroused or anything, but I mean I was like...excited to see it happen. This has never happened to me since, not with any other character on any other show...and I have seen the episode since and not had the same reaction.

I just don't get why that one time I was excited to see it happen. Anyone have any clue?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    When In doubt, God prays to Hoffman

Default Re: Something weird I want to share

I can see a loose connection there, in the fact that i know a lot of emetophobes have almost a compulsion to watch or to know all details

I know what episode that is! I remember watching it, thinking, Ohhh this is NOT good. I think it's amazing how powerful our mind can be. I mean, Cuddy and the rest of the passengers only got ill because THEY BELIEVED THEY WOULD. Helps reaffirm that we emets do have mind over matter.

And I also have an odd fascination with v* ... one of my fave movies growing up was "Look Who's Talking" (yeah, my parents were eccentric - Mom raised me on Stephen King books, too..lol). The first scene w/Kirstie Alley never scared me, and still doesn't. I think because her friend is all non-chalant and acted like it was no big deal.

I was the same way with "Look Who's Talking," but the scene where all 4 kids get the sv* at once in "Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" really freaked me out. I think it's because the mom freaks out like I do every time. I love that movie, but that scene is a big FAT trigger for me to freak out and panic - often for an hour or 2 after the scene ends.
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear. ~Ambrose Redmoon

I've never seen "Secrets..." ... I'll have to watch out when I do see it ...

Unhappy Re: Something weird I want to share

Never watch any hospital dramas as I am worried someone is going to v*. Hubby loves House tho so if it is on I have to walk out.

I never got excited from it...I always cringe; and turn away if I know it's a bad scene, especially the one from "The 40 year Old Virgin." Love that movie, but HATE that scene! And my hubby is good if he knows a scene with v* is coming, he'll warn me. Gotta luv him!
    *Melissa*

I totally get what you mean, Jill! That's happened to me before. I'm just guessing on this one, but I'd propose that what you experienced was a jolt of adrenaline. You knew what was about to happen, and your body geared up your sympathetic nervous system (which is responsible for the body's fight or flight response) resulting in the flutter of excitement. Kinda a physiological approach to answering your question, but it's possible!

jill...
    i get it.
    but i'm too embarrassed to write more.

I actually don't have an issue with seeing it on Tv or a movie. Only when it is near me or a family member
    psalm 139
    we are fearfully and wonderfully made

I don't really have a problem with vomit on TV or in the movies, as you can see I can write the word and say the word and it really doesn't effect me (it used to though, I used to hear the word and have a panic attack so I understand why people don't like seeing the word or hearing it) the only time I have had problems with it on TV or in the movies was when it was long, drawn out, and graphic. For instance there is this one House episode (don't ask me which) where a girl starts vomiting up blood and the scene is like 3 or 4 minutes long (at least it FELT that long) and I just was like, "HELL NO!" and skipped past it. I probably will never watch that episode again. LoL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    When In doubt, God prays to Hoffman