Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How did you catch it?

I haven't caught an s*v* in many years and even then it was from a family member. Now I'm hearing about and reading that a lot of people have been s* recently. Is it just some freak thing that you don't know where you caught it from? This is my greatest fear. As I type this I have just read of a person who lives in the next suburb to me who has the s*v* and of course I am now terrified, thinking it's multiplying all over the place. I hate this worry and these stupid thoughts.

Default Re: How did you catch it?

I must admit, I am getting quite nervous myself. I haven't had any friends on facebook talking about being sick, but so many of us here have gotten a stomach virus recently and it's really making me nervous. The end of January was my 25th anniversary and I really don't want that streak to end!

I can't believe people can seriously go that long without v*. It seems like every other day I'm feeling n* and I know I cannot possibly go through this for yet another 10 years. I just wish people had better hygiene and stayed away from other people when they are s*. I'd feel a lot more at ease if that happened.

People really can to that long without v*. I know I'm not the only one here who has gone that long without being sick. Some people have gone longer. I've definitely had stomach viruses in that time and I have had some times where I probably could have gotten sick, but it just didn't happen. Thank God it didn't.

I know where I got my sv* from, although it may have been fp*, I dunno. But we went to a not-so-great restaurant and then out to the movies, so I'm positive it was from there.

Quote Originally Posted by irish_grrl76 View Post
    People really can to that long without v*. I know I'm not the only one here who has gone that long without being sick. Some people have gone longer. I've definitely had stomach viruses in that time and I have had some times where I probably could have gotten sick, but it just didn't happen. Thank God it didn't.
    I am 43 years old. Since I've been 18, I have only vomited twice. (Knock on wood!) The last time was over 10 years ago. My sister who is a little older than me only vomited once as an adult. A woman I know who is in her 60s once told me she doesn't ever remember vomiting even as an adult. Not even during pregnancy. Radio star Howard Stern has said the last time he vomited was in his early twenties from either drinking or drugs. He is now 56.

I think as emetophobes we tend to fixate on those who get sick often because we're so afraid of it, and don't pay attention to those who rarely or never vomit.

Yes, it's possible and probably more common than you think, to go through long periods of time without vomiting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Friend me on Facebook
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I just had the sv last week, I caught it from my kids. It was awful, but I did not v*. Which really is amazing, because both my boys ended up at the hospital for dehydration they were so sick. I also caught it from them last year, and did not v*. Yay!
    JANNA

GO JANDUB!! thats great news (to me at least) I'm usually the fighter...I will fight the nausea until it goes away. However, not to long ago, I was un augmentin and it made me so sick I thought I was gonna V*, I got up and went right to the bathroom cuz I thought it was inevitable...but I neva did! YAAAAY (just the fact that I owned up to it and went to the bathroom is a step for me)
    *Melissa*

Last time I vomited was for not washing my hands after changing my friends sick sons poopy diaper. I got distracted right after I changed him and forgot to wash my hands.

The last time for me was on the first day of my Honeymoon...It was due to lack of food and some dehydration....but after some steak and mashed potatoes...i was up and running like nothing ever happened. Needless to say I kept a big bottle of water on me for the rest of the trip!
    *Melissa*

last time for me was when i was 13 (i'm 20 now) and i'm not sure if i had a sv* or if i ate something funny. and then about 3 years ago i had fp* but i didnt v* from that, i ran to the bathroom and was retching though but i wouldn't let myself!

i really hope typing this dosen't jinx me so *knock on wood*
    "there's a light at the end of this tunnel" you shout, 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out. these mistakes you make, you'll just make them again if you only try turning around.. and breathe. just breathe <3

The way my family got it was my 6 year old brought it home from kindergarten (it hits kids all of a sudden and 5 and 6 year olds aren't always the best at washing hands after toileting & before eating), OR my 3 year old brought it home from preschool. I'm not sure which it was because it's going around both places. Then once the kids have it and my hubby and I do our best to keep from getting it, but it's hard when you are caring for kids that are sick. The last time I had it was in 6th grade, so I have NO idea how I got it. It probably was going around the middle school though!
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear. ~Ambrose Redmoon