Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Endoscopy

Question Endoscopy

My doctor has referred me to a gastrointestional (sp?) for all the stomach issues that I've had for the past few years now. In the beginning I was told it was just anxiety, then when I became pregnant it was morning sickness, and now that I'm not pregnant anymore nobody seems to have an answer for me. I'm terrified to get the Endoscopy done because I'm scared that the medicine they give me beforehand will make me V* and also that the process itself will make me V*.

If anyone has had one done before, please let me know your experience!
    "there's a light at the end of this tunnel" you shout, 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out. these mistakes you make, you'll just make them again if you only try turning around.. and breathe. just breathe <3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Endoscopy

I havent done one before, but just ask the doc if it makes people n* or v* and Im sure he/she will ease your mind.

I see a GI doctor too for stomach problems. Back in August I had a major episode with stomach pains and n* and d* that I got rushed to the hospital from my job... It wasn't anything contagious, the CT scan showed that I had colitis. I had to get a colonoscopy and I was crying in the waiting room and they had to calm me down. The colonoscopy showed nothing ulcerated or anything but it's something. I just got put on anti emetics last week.. Now I'm rambling lol, but my friend had an endoscopy done and it's basically the same thing as a colonoscopy (just the other end). It has the same risks and such, and I didn't v* from the drugs they gave me (in fact after it I felt very hungry and I ate in the recovery room) Of course there are things you could discuss with your doctor, like how you're afraid of v* , they should be able to accommodate that

Who is your GI doctor? I haven't found one yet but I'm looking into it
    "there's a light at the end of this tunnel" you shout, 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out. these mistakes you make, you'll just make them again if you only try turning around.. and breathe. just breathe <3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My mum had an endoscopy! Don't eat before you take the drugs, and relax, and you should be fine! If you're extremely worried they may put you to sleep, if you explain your phobia! The only thing I've had similar was a camera up my nose that went down the back of my throat, it was extremely uncomfortable but bearable, I didn't gag or anything!
    I'm guilty of being innocent

I have had many endoscopies great exoeriences, i totally understand where you are coming from but you truley do feel great when you wake up and you will not get sick...of course that was my biggest fear! all of the procedures I have had they put me under...but I am not sure all drs do that. good luck you will be fine.

My GI is Dr. Steven Moss. He's at the RI hospital. he's really nice. He was referred to me by my PCP

I found this little thing on him as well lol:
    http://biomed.brown.edu/facultydirec...?id=1100924805

I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done at the same time. It was easy peasy, seriously. The worst part was the colonoscopy prep, but you aren't having that. They gave me "twilight" anesthesia and I was really happy for about 5 mins and then I fell asleep! I felt n* before I got the anethesia and before I swished with the throat numbing stuff, but it was all from anxiety and not being able to eat. They gave me something for it and I was fine. I had no side effects from anything.
    The thick stuff you swish is kinda icky, but mostly it's hard to gargle! It was actually funny because it was hard to do and it numbs your mouth which makes it harder. Although once it was numb you didn't taste it!
    Just tell them how anxious you are. I knew I would have to be put under anethesia or I would be a wreck. They will work with you and it's not bad! I had myself SO worked up and in the end it was nothing.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

^yes, I had the same type of anesthesia. I also had it as an injection.

I've had 4 endoscopies, never once v*ed or even felt n* before/during/after. It's really not that bad, I promise!

When In doubt, God prays to Hoffman

Quote Originally Posted by Jill in Apartment 413 View Post
    I've had 4 endoscopies, never once v*ed or even felt n* before/during/after. It's really not that bad, I promise!
    your experience makes me feel better!!

I feel your fear! My DR. always refers me to get one done since I've had stomach problems for years. Always too afraid, and immediately say NO. Haha. Thankfully it hasn't been so bad lately.. But if the time comes where I might need to.. Then I may just do it since I've read all these happy endings. Ha thanks. and Goodluck jmdonofrio!
    Let success be measured by the happiness in your heart.

Let me tell you more in depth. You see the first time I went in I was scared of the same thing. They put an IV in me and about 15 minutes later, gave me something to help "calm" me. After that it was a cake walk. I think the worst part was the numbing spray that I apparently said tasted like "spicy bananas" I don't remember saying it but the nurses were talking about it later LoL. Anyway it wasn't gross or v* inducing, it just tasted like spicy bananas to me.

The next three times I had it they always gave me something to calm me down first. The last time I had one I was hungry after so I went to McD's with my then fiance. It was great.

I was SOOOOOO scared the first time, I was crying and shaking and telling my dad to take me home. He wouldn't hear of it, and was forcing me to go through the procedure. As it turns out I remember nothing of any of the procedures. Apparently during my last one (and I don't remember this) I sat up and tried giving instructions to my doctor (I don't know what about as I can't remember) But apparently I was really funny.

Anyway GET IT DONE! I would have never been put on the right meds if I didn't do it and I am so glad my dad was there to force me. Can you take someone with you who will slap you and tell you you have to do it? Once you do it once, it's easy to do again (and if you don't have a hernia like me you won't have to get one once every two years!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jill in Apartment 413 View Post
    Let me tell you more in depth. You see the first time I went in I was scared of the same thing. They put an IV in me and about 15 minutes later, gave me something to help "calm" me. After that it was a cake walk. I think the worst part was the numbing spray that I apparently said tasted like "spicy bananas" I don't remember saying it but the nurses were talking about it later LoL. Anyway it wasn't gross or v* inducing, it just tasted like spicy bananas to me.

The next three times I had it they always gave me something to calm me down first. The last time I had one I was hungry after so I went to McD's with my then fiance. It was great.

I was SOOOOOO scared the first time, I was crying and shaking and telling my dad to take me home. He wouldn't hear of it, and was forcing me to go through the procedure. As it turns out I remember nothing of any of the procedures. Apparently during my last one (and I don't remember this) I sat up and tried giving instructions to my doctor (I don't know what about as I can't remember) But apparently I was really funny.

Anyway GET IT DONE! I would have never been put on the right meds if I didn't do it and I am so glad my dad was there to force me. Can you take someone with you who will slap you and tell you you have to do it? Once you do it once, it's easy to do again (and if you don't have a hernia like me you won't have to get one once every two years!)

Thank you so much for you in depth experience. I've been dying to know what it's like and I really appreciate your advice. I'm feeling a little better about having one done now and I'll definatley be bringing someone with me to force me to do it in case I start freaking out. I know that it can only benefit me and my health! Thanks again!

I've had them done before, and you really will be fine and you won't v*. And keep this in mind: If you feel really n* or anything, you're in a hospital so anti-emets are just an IV drip away.

Just make sure you follow the instructions the doctor gives you and you'll be good!

I think I'm so scared because my boyfriend's dad just had one done and he woke up in the middle of it and began to choke and then V*!

When I had mine, it was nothing. They gave me drugs in an iv, it was lights out for me, I woke up, was pleasantly sedated, and went home and ate. It was actually a calm, peaceful experience, thanks to the lovely drugs they gave me. I like that feeling though. I'm pretty sure they give you an anti-emetic just to be sure. You'll do great!
    JANNA

In my expereince if you ASK for an anti-emetic before/after they will give you one. I've only asked once, and that was to be cautionary. Like I said, I've never v*ed from it, or even felt n* afterwards. Just really sleepy (Except the last time when I went to McD's they must have given me some other meds that time LoL)