Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Noro and blood type

So I've heard that blood type contributes to being immune to noro of having milder symptoms, anyone heard this? I'm type B (the good type) and my husband is O (the bad one). Is that why he got it and I didn't on saturday or is it because I hid from him and scrubbed everything for days afterwards?

Default Re: Noro and blood type

i've never heard that.....interesting though....would like to learn more...
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have O and I'm pretty sure I've had it 0 or 1 times after the age of 3. And I am not a big handwasher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norovirus

talks a little bit about bloodtype.. O is more likely to get it!
    "there's a light at the end of this tunnel" you shout, 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out. these mistakes you make, you'll just make them again if you only try turning around.. and breathe. just breathe <3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Interesting. I actually dont know my blood type though

I just asked my dad my blood type and he said his blood type is O+ :/ I don't know my blood type or my mothers blood type....Oh boy :/

I studied blood types in College, what determines a blood type is it antigens, little pieces around the makeup of your cell, blood type O has no antigens, therefore is the best blood type to use in a blood tranfusion as it adapts to the others, and in return can recieve any blood type back, negative and postive also affect this but I'm not gonna go there, blood type O is the most common blood type in the world, so this is probably the reason why these blood types are statistically shown as being infected more often - because they are the most common! So I wouldn't worry all you other O's! Your antigens and blood make ups have absolutely nothing to do with your immunity as far as I'm aware!
    P.S. O postive is the most common blood type, O negative is one of the most rare! Talk about extremes!
    I'm guilty of being innocent

Awesome very interesting. Thanks!

Actually there is some evidence that norovirus has a hard time infecting people with other blood types, but I know plenty of people with O here and my dad in real life...that don't often get sick. If you think about it it woud make sense that norovirus would preferentially have adapted to infect type O hosts if it is the most common blood type. Also, my understanding is that current strains of noro cannot infect people whose blood type cannot be detected in other bodily fluids. You would know more about this than I would given your background. I wouldn't assume the other types are immune, because as an RNA virus noro is mutating all the time, and these mutations could render it harmless or way worse or have little or no effect. For now my understanding is that type B and AB blood confers some protection. This is a risk factor you cannot control, so not one I'd get obsessively hung up on. I don't even know what my blood type actually is though to be honest. I suppose I should.

Quote Originally Posted by amarkham01 View Post
    I have O and I'm pretty sure I've had it 0 or 1 times after the age of 3. And I am not a big handwasher.
    same here, im a careful person but im no clean freak.

there has been topics discussing this before, i can't remember a particular conclusion on it, be sure to use the search tool and try browsing the older topics on this for more info as i can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by IceMaiden View Post
    I studied blood types in College, what determines a blood type is it antigens, little pieces around the makeup of your cell, blood type O has no antigens, therefore is the best blood type to use in a blood tranfusion as it adapts to the others, and in return can recieve any blood type back, negative and postive also affect this but I'm not gonna go there, blood type O is the most common blood type in the world, so this is probably the reason why these blood types are statistically shown as being infected more often - because they are the most common! So I wouldn't worry all you other O's! Your antigens and blood make ups have absolutely nothing to do with your immunity as far as I'm aware!
    P.S. O postive is the most common blood type, O negative is one of the most rare! Talk about extremes!
    That's totally different from what I learned! I thought O- could give to anyone, but O- could only receive from other O-. Glad we're paying so much for our educations...

Eh, my mom is type O and she never, EVER gets ill. My brother is type B and he v* pretty much every year.

For what it's worth, O- can donate blood to anyone, but can only receive O-

<- clicky
    I'm a recovered emet

O+ here and never get sick. my dad is the same and neever gets sick. O is the most common type.
    Let success be measured by the happiness in your heart.

I really think it has something to do with people’s attitudes to v*. My husband v* really easily, so does both my sister and brother. They have actually said they encourage v* as they hate the n* and feel better once they have v*. I however, sit and breathe deeply for hours until the n* subsides and feel better! Although I have caught s* v* from my children, I have NEVER v* just feel nauseous. I do get d* often, but I really don’t mind that!!!

That would be GREAT to have some kind of immunity.

But I think dixy's theory holds a lot of weight. Because to my knowledge, I've never v* from a s* v*, but I have been outstandingly n* and had serious d*, whereas I have several friends who have absolutely no problem with it - they actually decide when to go v*. Like, "Okay, I'll be right back."

I'd love to have that attitude.